Help Hooking Up 2 Passive Subs

M

mattnickerson

Audiophyte
I've never setup home audio before, only my system in my truck so bare with me.

I recently acquired for free: 2 Cerwin Vega LS10's, 5 surround sound speakers, and an AVR (it's somewhat new, dont know the model yet). It's my understanding that I will need an amp to power the subs on the LS10's right? My budget is <$0 if possible lol, I got a lot things higher up on list to buy before spending on home audio.

Would I be able to power the 2 10" subs (200w each @ 8ohms) with the AVR or is a powered amp like this my only option? Dayton Audio SPA250 250 Watt Subwoofer Amplifier 300-803

What I would like to do is use my Jenson 900.1 car amp. It's 450w @ 2ohm and 300w @ 4ohm. Is there a way to make the 8ohm subs work with a 2/4ohm amp?

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
You can use your car amplifier to power an 8 phm load it will just most likely cut the power in half so if its 300w at 4 ohm you may get 150 at 8ohms... BUT them ls10s aren't subwoofers, they are full range speakers, just hook them to your avr's left and right front channels... Do you have some pics, to me it looks like they had a 5 channel surround sound, and then a-b ed to the 2 channel music system with the ls10's...

M

mattnickerson

Audiophyte
Well the LS10s look like this

And the backside just has a left and right binding post.

I'm not audio savvy so I don't understand your last sentence lol. What I have are the LS10s, then (separate from the ls10s) 2 sets of 5.0 surround sound speakers one is colby and the other is something else i dont remember.

But I guess that's cool to know they're not subs and just speakers! lol I feel dumb on that one. I got an 8" powered sub back home I can use then.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis