Help for basement room

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I'm finishing off a kids' room in the basement that will also serve as a de facto home theater. The room is about 3200 sq feet and I'm going to use Aperion Intimus 5b bookshelves, the 5c center and the 5bp bipole a for surround. I'm looking for recommendations on a sub. Looking for good sound quality, not room-shaking bass here. So far, I'm considering:

HSU VTF-3
outlaw lfm-1
Aperion Bravus II 10d

also considering using two Outlaw m-8's instead. The price is great but not sure if that would be enough in that room. Want to ideally stick to total budget under $750.

Thanks!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'd probably go with HSU. At this point I'd worry less about smoothing the bass response (i.e. the two M8's) and concentrate more on being able to pressurize such a large space. Based on what you listed, the HSU will be able to get the job done better than anything else on the list in terms of both SQ and pressurization.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
You can look into the SVS PB-12NSD, it cost $769 has a 5year bumper to bumper warranty, they say its a well behaved sub that is capable of putting out some very good tunes and they also have excellent customer service.I don't know about u but when I purchase something that expensive I like the piece of mind that if something were to happen to what ever it is I purchase I can count on someone being there to take care of any problems are questions I may have

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
3200 Sq feet!!!! Wow, $750 is going to be like a drop in a barrel, lol... My entire first floor is only 2980sq feet, and thats a kitchen, dining room, 2 offices, 2 bathrooms, 2 parlors, and 4 closets...

Im thinking you would be a good candidate for a DIY sub...
2 of these Dayton Audio 15" Ultimax Subwoofer and Cabinet Package 300-7097 then one of these Crown XLS 1500 DriveCore Series Power Amplifier 245-502 to power them, running that amp with both subs at 2 ohms will give you 775 watts per sub, so 1500 watts of bass.... cost would be under $1000 even after you bought, glue, paint, filler, terminals, feet, ect.... but that would probably get some pressure in there...

Did you buy the aperions already? I would go with some strong bookshelfs instead, cbm170se's all the way around, and then a strong avr, like the 1222k...

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
3200 Sq feet!!!! Wow, $750 is going to be like a drop in a barrel, lol... My entire first floor is only 2980sq feet, and thats a kitchen, dining room, 2 offices, 2 bathrooms, 2 parlors, and 4 closets...

I'm assuming he means cubic feet. At least I'd hope so are he has a auditorium for a basement! Lol

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You can look into the SVS PB-12NSD, it cost $769 has a 5year bumper to bumper warranty, they say its a well behaved sub that is capable of putting out some very good tunes and they also have excellent customer service.I don't know about u but when I purchase something that expensive I like the piece of mind that if something were to happen to what ever it is I purchase I can count on someone being there to take care of any problems are questions I may have
HSU doesn't have a terrible warranty. 2 years on the amp and 7 years on the woofer.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
HSU doesn't have a terrible warranty. 2 years on the amp and 7 years on the woofer.
No and for $80 you can extend the 2 year warranty to a 5 year. It just seems strange to only have 2 years on electronics but yet 7 on the woofer.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
No and for $80 you can extend the 2 year warranty to a 5 year. It just seems strange to only have 2 years on electronics but yet 7 on the woofer.
When was the last time you looked at the website? In case its been awhile here's a screen shot taken 30 seconds ago from the product page. It's not all that weird. THey don't make their own amps and therefore they don't warranty somebody else's work past when their own warranty would run out.

I misread your post. Just ignore me, I don't read too good :p

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
that would make sense Pdd... Other wise his budget is way off, just get everyone some headphones...

Fuzz is correct the bash amps that hsu uses come with a 2 yr warranty, they allow you to purchase the extended plan rather than tack $80 onto the price and just include it they give you the choice... 7 years shows they stand behind their product.... I like everything about Hsu subs, quality, custom support, prices, product lines... My sub had a scratch in it, they told me I could either send it back and they would send another one rite then {dont have to wait for them to get the damaged one back} or they would refund me $100 to live with the scratch...

If you just want the best sub you can buy for $750 http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-3mk4.html comes to $748 shipped...

If your room is indeed over 3Ksqft then It will be lost lol, but if your room is more like 24x20x7 then that sub will work well...

Last edited:
pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
When was the last time you looked at the website? In case its been awhile here's a screen shot taken 30 seconds ago from the product page. It's not all that weird. THey don't make their own amps and therefore they don't warranty somebody else's work past when their own warranty would run out.

I misread your post. Just ignore me, I don't read too good :p
Lmao! That's cool we all do that from time to time. :)

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
that would make sense Pdd... Other wise his budget is way off, just get everyone some headphones...

Fuzz is correct the bash amps that hsu uses come with a 2 yr warranty, they allow you to purchase the extended plan rather than tack $80 onto the price and just include it they give you the choice... 7 years shows they stand behind their product.... I like everything about Hsu subs, quality, custom support, prices, product lines... My sub had a scratch in it, they told me I could either send it back and they would send another one rite then {dont have to wait for them to get the damaged one back} or they would refund me $100 to live with the scratch...

If you just want the best sub you can buy for $750 VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer comes to $748 shipped...

If your room is indeed over 3Ksqft then It will be lost lol, but if your room is more like 24x20x7 then that sub will work well...
That's good to hear, I wasn't sure about this company but that does make since. I guess ill have to maybe look at them again to. :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That's good to hear, I wasn't sure about this company but that does make since. I guess ill have to maybe look at them again to. :)
HSU is a great company and extremely reputable. They also make some pretty darn good subwoofers. Part of their trademark is that they make several different types: sealed, STF (single tuning frequency), and VTF (variable tuning frequency). Basically the STF is a simple ported design, the sealed is sealed and the VTF allows you to plug one or both ports to alter the system Q, thereby giving you different performance benefits.

The outlaw subwoofers are all HSU subs more or less and I have an LFM-1 EX. Awesome sub for the money.

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
HSU is a great company and extremely reputable. They also make some pretty darn good subwoofers. Part of their trademark is that they make several different types: sealed, STF (single tuning frequency), and VTF (variable tuning frequency). Basically the STF is a simple ported design, the sealed is sealed and the VTF allows you to plug one or both ports to alter the system Q, thereby giving you different performance benefits.

The outlaw subwoofers are all HSU subs more or less and I have an LFM-1 EX. Awesome sub for the money.
As long as HSU's CS is more personable than outlaws, I had a couple of questions I had about there subs and talking to them felt more like I was bothering them. That turned me off to them quick especially after talking to the guys from both SVS & PSA.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
As long as HSU's CS is more personable than outlaws, I had a couple of questions I had about there subs and talking to them felt more like I was bothering them. That turned me off to them quick especially after talking to the guys from both SVS & PSA.
HSU's CS is supposed to be great. Outlaw's has always sucked IME. How a company that makes such great products (or should I say buy them from companies that make such great products) can have such lousy CS is beyond me. I guess they chose HSU and ATI to minimize the number of people who have to contact them :rolleyes: :D

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
That indeed was a typo. If I was giving my 9 and 10 year old kids a 3200 sq ft playroom, I should be taken out and shot for having way too much money and way too little brains! I meant 3200 cubic feet, but after re-examining the area, and subtracting for what of that will be taken up as closet space and a bathroom, it's looking more like 2700 cubic (NOT square) feet.

thanks!

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
Also curious about the recommendation for the CBMs overthe Aperions. I don't have any first hand listening experience with Ascend, have a small amount with Aperion. The Intimus line gets phenomenal reviews - am I missing something by picking them over the CBM's?

pddufrene

pddufrene

Audioholic
That indeed was a typo. If I was giving my 9 and 10 year old kids a 3200 sq ft playroom, I should be taken out and shot for having way too much money and way too little brains! I meant 3200 cubic feet, but after re-examining the area, and subtracting for what of that will be taken up as closet space and a bathroom, it's looking more like 2700 cubic (NOT square) feet.

thanks!
LOL! That's what I figured. Although that would be a nice problem to have. :) As for as the other to subs u mentioned I have never heard anything about, but these guys in here are very knowledgeable and informed a will definitely send u I the right direction. If I was u I'd start a new thread with that as the subject it'll stand out and probably be addressed a little faster.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
LOL! That's what I figured. Although that would be a nice problem to have. :) As for as the other to subs u mentioned I have never heard anything about, but these guys in here are very knowledgeable and informed a will definitely send u I the right direction. If I was u I'd start a new thread with that as the subject it'll stand out and probably be addressed a little faster.
That's still a large space for a sub to pressurize and I stand by the HSU reco at that price point for a commercial sub, especially with its versatility regarding the variable tuning.

If however, your budget isn't a hard line, there are other recommendations to be had.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think if you were happy with the 5b's you would be amazed by the ascends... I would probably go 170 fronts with a 340 center and 200 surrounds that comes to $880 shipped, plus a vtf3 for $748 would be a really nice system... I actually demo'd some aperions and wasn't impressed especially for their price... I think the 170/340 front stage is about as good as you can get for the money, if you do a lot of stereo music listening, you can go up to the 340s for the left and right but if it is mainly music the 170s are perfect...

E

exlabdriver

I have 2 separate systems - one HT and one for audio only. Although I'm not a bass fanatic, in both cases I went with 2 subs of the same model that give excellent results.

Prevailing wisdom is that 2 or more units smooths out the bass response in the room and can largely eliminate null areas when placed correctly. What ever brand and model you choose, it would be wise to go with two if you can swing it.

Good luck...

TAM

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis