Help Finding Raw Vifa Drivers for Group DIY Bookshelf Speaker Project

5th Beatle

Junior Audioholic
The particular Vifa drivers we are looking for appear not to be available from the usual suspects, so I am seeking help from audiholics members who may have extra raw drivers or know someone who does. What we need:

Vifa D25AG-05-06 1" dome tweeter (2)

Vifa P17WJ-00-08 6.5" woofer (2)

Thanks so much for your help. Bookshelf design to be patterned after the late Georgia Tech professor Dr. Marshall Leach.

Regards,

5th Beatle

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The particular Vifa drivers we are looking for appear not to be available from the usual suspects, so I am seeking help from audiholics members who may have extra raw drivers or know someone who does. What we need:

Vifa D25AG-05-06 1" dome tweeter (2)

Vifa P17WJ-00-08 6.5" woofer (2)

Thanks so much for your help. Bookshelf design to be patterned after the late Georgia Tech professor Dr. Marshall Leach.

Regards,

5th Beatle
Those are from the long discontinued Vifa Classic line. The chance of finding them is remote.

I would pick a design using currently available drivers.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I had a pair of the 6.5 woofers that I used in my old EPI Model 140s (I bought them sometime in the late 90s), but they are long gone. You may have already seen this Parts Express page, which has a driver they claim is a good replacement for the Vifa:

http://www.parts-express.com/projectshowcase/indexn.cfm?project=vd

In case you need them, here are the specs I found for the Vifa woofer and tweeter from my old Madisound catalog page:

P17WJ-00 6.5 " woofer
Impedance-4 or 8 ohms)
Fs-37 Hz
Qts-.35
Vas-35 liters
X max-4 mm
Power handling-70W
Sensitivity-88 dB (2.83V/1M)

D25AG-05
Impedance-6 ohms
Fs-1500 Hz
Sensitivity-90 dB (2.83V/1M)

Hope this helps with your search.

5th Beatle

Junior Audioholic
Thanks Audiofox! Exactly what I need for speaker matching if we can't locate those discontinued Vifa's. Appreciate the links, too:D

N

noisehead

Audiophyte
i would second the suggested contact to madisound, they suggest the Seas Prestige 27TBFC/G (h1212) Aluminum/Magnesium driver to be a good replacement/upgrade for the discontinued vifa. Its cost is listed as 45.35 per driver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
You know there really is no such thing as one driver replacing another.

If it is quality you are after, if you change drivers, it means starting the design from scratch.

I have never seen two different drivers with close enough T/S parameters and acoustic response, that results won't be significantly compromised by driver substitution.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
You know there really is no such thing as one driver replacing another.

If it is quality you are after, if you change drivers, it means starting the design from scratch.

I have never seen two different drivers with close enough T/S parameters and acoustic response, that results won't be significantly compromised by driver substitution.
That's not even including the fact that not all 6.5" woofers fit in the same size holes either. In a pinch a jigsaw and circular saw could be used to build some boxes for the drivers. It would let you cut some bracing and tune the box for the appropriate fill.

But if this is a science experiment I understand the goals are different. Is that the tweeter in my RB Kits?

Last edited:
scitizen17

scitizen17

Audiophyte
Hi all,

I happened to stumble across this thread and wanted to say that I built these Leach 2-way speakers while the original drivers were still available. I used the alternate 4ohm/8.2ohm resistor change for the tweeter attenuator. I have really enjoyed them. They are an excellent, fine sounding design. I liked them so much I bought Prof. Leach's book and have designed a couple other speakers using his recommended procedure.

Madisound sells the ScanSpeak Classic P17WJ00 6.5" Woofer that is supposed to be the equivalent, and unbelievably Parts-Express has the Goldwood GT-324 1" Titanium Dome Tweeter that is very close although the impedance is a little off. A $10 each, I might just have to buy a pair and swap out my Vifas for comparison.

Good luck.

W

wct

Audiophyte
wct

If you are still interested in these Vifa p17wj drivers I have four of them. If you would like to discuss it further let me know. I also have four Vifa d26tg-35 dome tweeters (1 damaged).

G

Goalsetter

Audiophyte
Any chance that you still have the Vifa P17WJ speakers?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis