Help Dacmagic plus something preventing ACIO upgrade

M

mellome

Audiophyte
Hello members good day to you
A little problem that i'm out of my depth with.
I have quite a few mp3s frac files of various bit rates and quality, and bought me a dacmagic plus hoping for some improvement in what i am hearing.
One of the sales staff eventually got it working, installing the right drivers etc and it worked in both foobar and vlc player.
It has now stopped playing in Vlc player, and i am trying to set it up from scratch having found "windows ASIO audio setup guide" and "windows ASIO audio setup guide (prefered)" which I was not aware of before.
I am having a problem with whats the best way forward as the unit already have a usb 2 driver. try to install driver over the top (failed) or uninstall drivers indicated in two positions in device manager.
on a new unit out of the box, when connected up will have a message "new device discovered" etc. in my case that wont happen, so i unziped the driver atatchment > clicked on setup.bat> a black unknown window flashed by quickly> back to the opened zip clicked on setup.exe > failed to read C:\users\bl\desktop\setup.ini->[setup]->co name.
I noted sounds>playback> CA Dacmsgic Plus default driver. and in my task bar > Cambridge audio USB 2 class driver, device manager at the top "Cambridge audio USB 2 audio devices"plus sound video and game controllers > CA dacmagic plus audio.
Control panel > sounds >playback > speakers CA dacmagic plus audio default device (ticked)
I noted if dacmagic is switched selected USB 2 > digital 2 (indicated) but no indicated in incoming sample rate indicators (this is with a mp3 file playing). file plays if usb 2 is not selected. on switching USB 2 > playback> CA Dacmsgic Plus default driver disapears also in device manager.
Thanks in advance for any sugestions / help
PS minimum spec> 8gb.> 1.9 ghz triple core processor> laptop bought 2010 dec new> UHCI compliant chipset???
win 7 64 -bit.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Return that snake oil and get a) music in lossless format b) better speakers

devices or software which actually somehow improves mp3 files quality exists only in fairy tales.

M

mellome

Audiophyte
You might be right BSA, but only when/if i get this going will what you say be proven or unproven with my imperfect old ears.:)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
it's not about your or my ears. it's facts and science.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So, the DAC was working fine on YOUR computer? But now it suddenly won't work correctly with VLC?

Did you update VLC? What changed?

Why not just use Foobar exclusively?

You may need to un-install it and try again from scratch.

In general, it "shouldn't" take a highly technical person to get this worked out. So, I'm wondering exactly why this install seems to be having issues.

EDIT: Have you tried reviewing the forums over on the vendor website?

M

mellome

Audiophyte
Thanks for your reply slippery, yes i have and the last reply that i had quote " "Unfortunately we cannot assist with your computers audio settings without inspecting the units physically. We would therefore recommend taking the DacMagic and your laptop to xxxxxx xxxxxx as they will be able to set this up from scratch for you once again."
and my reply "I am absolutely not asking you to help me with my computer settings, ONLY with Dacmagic specific items" .
Re Foobar, yes Foobar as my default without hesitation, call it familiarity some things that i like VLC if I can still retain its use then thats a + for me.
I have never had this device in the recommended ASIO mode, when I do then I will be in a position to say "in my opinion".

"You may need to un-install it and try again from scratch" that i think would be best if i can have it in out of the box mode, and everything happens as per the ASIO instruction think i would be laughing.
So...........Is it just a simple matter or rt clicking in the two positions in device manager + uninstall? that a unknown for me, i am guising (wearing my not 100% computer savvy) that the usb 2 driver is actually in the device,but what do i know.

I have not updated VLC still the same 1.1.5
This is the first time owned a DAC btw

dinner calls, nighty nite

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your reply slippery, yes i have and the last reply that i had quote " "Unfortunately we cannot assist with your computers audio settings without inspecting the units physically. We would therefore recommend taking the DacMagic and your laptop to xxxxxx xxxxxx as they will be able to set this up from scratch for you once again."
and my reply "I am absolutely not asking you to help me with my computer settings, ONLY with Dacmagic specific items" .
Re Foobar, yes Foobar as my default without hesitation, call it familiarity some things that i like VLC if I can still retain its use then thats a + for me.
I have never had this device in the recommended ASIO mode, when I do then I will be in a position to say "in my opinion".

"You may need to un-install it and try again from scratch" that i think would be best if i can have it in out of the box mode, and everything happens as per the ASIO instruction think i would be laughing.
So...........Is it just a simple matter or rt clicking in the two positions in device manager + uninstall? that a unknown for me, i am guising (wearing my not 100% computer savvy) that the usb 2 driver is actually in the device,but what do i know.

I have not updated VLC still the same 1.1.5
This is the first time owned a DAC btw

dinner calls, nighty nite
Well, to me this seems like a computer problem and not exactly an audio problem.

Have you contacted the store that they told you to contact? If they got it up and running once, why not take it back for support?

Are they wanting to charge you silly $ for that support?

M

mellome

Audiophyte
Hello again slippery
I rang up the store this morning before I went out, also sent copy of problem as above.
They have just now rang me in response saying that their engineers? (non store) have eyeballed it and concluded that its too technical? for them. and suggested i take to the store tomorrow , think i will take my laptop as well.
So now not too self conscious about being "out of my debt".
I would be surprised (a hunch) if it is computer prob, but WDIK.
Should be interesting

M

mellome

Audiophyte
Well I took it back to the store
And it was interesting, VlC player working again BUT they failed to upgrade to ASIO.
Interestingly the store supervisor when failing to upgrade, asked another of the staff more savvy with the Dacmagic plus If he had come across a simular problem to mine, surprisingly he said that he had exactly the same problem with it working with windows 7, wheres he had no problem when he used Apple.
A working demo unit was tried and that did not work.
So currently when he switched (and I missed that I had to push in the volume control knob fore it to take) USB 2 I am only getting 44.1 and no further.
I forgot a cable back at the store so will have to go back.
yes some success but some way to go, Windows 10 I have to try at some time and as far as I know thats a different USB version. this is like hard work .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis