Help choosing Media streamer

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
yea from my reaseach it seems like it happens a lot! def. very frustrating. I know it took me a few hours to get my xbox to stream from my pc, but ive been at this for 3 hrs lol. I guess ill keep trying. thanks

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
Also what about this box vs the apple tv jailbroken with xbmc? I really liked using appletv when i was at a customers house

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
Go to the folder you're trying to share, properties->sharing tab->share. Make sure there is a policy set for "everyone" and not just your user name.

If you're comfortable going through the process of jailbreaking and installing xbmc I'd say it's a better solution. I'm a big fan of xbmc. [You'll still have the same issues though]

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
ok so i deleted my linked ID, and re did it, and turned off passwords (tried it before and didnt work) but this time it worked. But now i have to find out how i can stream from folders off my computer. The only way i can do it at the moment is copy the songs into my Public folder. Which is a pain in the butt as every time i put new music on my pc i would have to put it into 2 different folders. Any solutions?

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
You can network share any folder. The procedure I outlined above as a solution is the same procedure you'd use to share any folder you want.

Edit for clarification: This wont' work directly if you're using the "music" directory as that's just a placeholder for other folders that actually contain the music. Right clicking that will tell you the location of the folder(s) that actually contain music, share them.

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
Win7 is a PIA to make it work for sharing folders / files. You think you have had it hard with the WDTV. I dare you to try it with PCH-A300. I was about ready to kill my PC. Eventually I built my own unraid server, and I haven't had any issues with shares since.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Well.. those devices you're using use SAMBA.. forget HOME--- Whatever.. set your windows box to WORKGROUP.. happy streaming..

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
Well.. those devices you're using use SAMBA.. forget HOME--- Whatever.. set your windows box to WORKGROUP.. happy streaming..

what do you mean set my windows box? I know on my WD live, its set to workgroup?

Hostility

Hostility

Full Audioholic
also another idea i had is, save up for a few months and buy a tablet. That can play all my files i want. Then i dont need my tv on to play music, i have wifi, i can stream off my website, and i can connect it to my other stereo that has no screen. Then i could also use it to play my ripped movies. Think this is a better idea then what i have going on now?

G

GFOViedo

Audioholic
This is what I use to stream my ripped DVD / BD / DVD TV shows (iso's). I built my own unraid server. Ripped my BD movies with ClownBD as main movie folder structure, use MakeMKV for DVD movies, and made ISO of DVD TV Shows with AnyDVD HD. I store them in my server, and I've got a Dune Smart Series D1 in the living room, PCH-A210 in the master bedroom that play all my files.

I can stream wireless to my two iPads if they are watching DVD movies / TV Shows. I can only stream to 1 iPad to watch a BD movie. This is done by my server transcoding on the fly using AirVideo plugin, and the AirVideo app. I believe this is available for iOS devices though. I am not sure how it would work with Android / Windows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis