Help choosing drivers for restoration project

U

Unregistered

Hello!

I'm wondering if any of you cats out there would mind offering some advice? I am in the middle of restoring an old GE Console Stereo (circa late 60's) and I would like to replace the factory drivers and crossovers with something that sounds better than the original paper cones. I've been doing some research on this subject and I'm finding it's can be a little more complicated than I had originally imagined. Though I'm not looking for the ultimate audiophile quality sound, I certainly want something that sounds decent. Ideally I'd like to not spend more than $200 on this part of the project.

Here's some of the specs on this project:

• 8" woofer (measured edge to edge)
  • 5" tweeter (measured edge to edge)
  • Original crossover is nothing more than a capacitor of some sort
  • Cubic volume of the cabinet is 1.56
  • I'm guessing this would be considered a sealed system even though it's really not...
  • 20 WATT Tube Amp? (Guestimating on the wattage, though I can't imagine it's more than 20 Watts so efficiency is very important)

What I'm looking for is a recommendation in any/all of the following areas.

• Which drivers specifically?
  • Which crossovers?
  • Which supplier?
  • Any other useful advice would be great too!

Thanks for your help!

Pat

S

StAlphonzo

Audiophyte

Thought I was logged in when I posted the above message. Apparently not... Anyway, I meant ot also add that I can be reached at the following email address: pat(AT)banyantrees(DOT)net, or, of course, a reply in this forum would be appreciated too.

Thanks!
Pat

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
If you can determine which tubes are the output tubes I may be able to give you some idea of the output power. Attach a picture of the console to your next post and I may have some ideas you can chew on for speakers. My parents had one of those consoles in the mid sixties so I understand the nostalgia.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
Drivers, drivers, and more drivers

Check out Parts Express for drivers

www.parts-express.com

They have a ton of replacement drivers and x-over parts. For specific questions you can contact the tech support @ 800-338-0531 and they can help with picking the right drivers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis