help choosing between denon and yamaha!!!

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
I need some help on which receiver would perform the best for me. Right now I have the polk audio RTI 12's for the front, csi5 for the center, 2 rti4's for the rear surround, and psw 505 subwoofer. All is from polk audio. I have 2 receiver on mind that I like and they are the Yamaha rxv2500 and the Denon 3805. I watch about 60% movies and TV and 40% radio or cd's. I've heard the Yamaha has a brighter sound and the Denon has a warmer sound. Is there a huge difference in these 2 receivers as far as sound quality. I am not overly picky but I do like great sound. I previously had the polk audio rti 10's with the Denon 2105. Thanks for any help!

Polk Audio
Rti 12’s 9 (front)
Rti 4’s (rear surround)
Csi 5 (center)
PSW 505 (subwoofer)
50” Sony Grand Wega LCD projection
Yamaha RXV2500 receiver
Sony DVP725P DVD player
Dish network 811 HDTV receiver
Sony Playstation 2

Last edited:
Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Hmmm, not sure I can help

You can't go wrong with either one. Once you get up into Yamaha's higher end units, they perform very similar. If you like the Yamaha, I'd wait until the new units come out later this summer unless you've found an absolute steal somewhere. I have a feeling Denon is about to replace the 3805 in the next several months. They have a killer 4806 about to come out, but it's big bucks. Both are in need of HDMI connections for these new flat screens.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
firefighterchri said:
I've heard the Yamaha has a brighter sound and the Denon has a warmer sound. Is there a huge difference in these 2 receivers as far as sound quality. I am not overly picky but I do like great sound. I previously had the polk audio rti 10's with the Denon 2105. Thanks for any help!
From what I've read, you won't notice any Yamaha made in the past year or so to be "bright" unless you match them up with a speaker (like Klipsch) that also tends to be bright. I don't have any issues with the Infinity speakers I have connected to my RX-V2500.

The Yamaha gives you more options in terms of sound "modes" (something like 51 of them), but to be honest, I only use three of them regularly.

The Denon is more expensive, but if you don't need the basically useless "Denon-link" or the addition of a third room, you probably would be just as happy with the 2805 as you would the 3805. This, of course, makes your problem that much worse, because the 2805 and the Yamaha are much more in-line pricewise.

I think you would be very pleased with either brand. We live in times where the competition is so intense that we get features and quality undreamed of five years ago at these price levels. The consumers make out like bandits. :)

Shinerman

Shinerman

Senior Audioholic
You may already be looking here but you might want to go to a Tweeter near you and give them a listen with your Polks. Tweeter carries all of your brands. Again, maybe you are alredy looking there. Listen to them both and go with the one you like the best. I doubt you will here much of a difference as they are both very good receivers.

Also, Yamahas being bright is a description that has been carried over from past units several years ago. Some people thought they were bright. Today's Yamaha's are not bright to most. If you look at reviews of both you will find people saying the Denon is bright and then the next review says it's warm. Same for the Yamaha. Just go with what you like.

It might just come down to price and looks. I personally like the look of the Yamahas and Marantz the best.

Shinerman

F

firefighterchri

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for all the advice and thoughts. I went down to tweeter today and I couldn't hear that much of a difference between the two. I bought the Yamaha RXV2500 since it came with the microphone and 130w/7 channels. Only thing is I need to return the remote due to I bought a open box unit and they gave me the wrong remote. I bought it for $799. They gave me the rx350 instead of the rx352. So right now I can't set the receiver up with the microphone to actually hear the true quality of it. Once I do I will get back. Once again thanks for the advice and if anybody else has anymore opinions on the 2 units I'm open to them.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If you live in Ontario Canada. don't buy Denon.

firefighterchri said:
I need some help on which receiver would perform the best for me. Right now I have the polk audio RTI 12's for the front, csi5 for the center, 2 rti4's for the rear surround, and psw 505 subwoofer. All is from polk audio. I have 2 receiver on mind that I like and they are the Yamaha rxv2500 and the Denon 3805. I watch about 60% movies and TV and 40% radio or cd's. I've heard the Yamaha has a brighter sound and the Denon has a warmer sound. Is there a huge difference in these 2 receivers as far as sound quality. I am not overly picky but I do like great sound. I previously had the polk audio rti 10's with the Denon 2105. Thanks for any help!

Polk Audio
Rti 12’s 9 (front)
Rti 4’s (rear surround)
Csi 5 (center)
PSW 505 (subwoofer)
50” Sony Grand Wega LCD projection
Yamaha RXV2500 receiver
Sony DVP725P DVD player
Dish network 811 HDTV receiver
Sony Playstation 2

mark-up on Denon's are insane and they are definately not worth it compared to similar models made by Yamaha.

A

awesomebase

Audioholic
Both good

You know, I don't think you will be disappointed with either one. I actually chose the 1500 instead of the 2500 Yamaha because I couldn't tell much difference between the two except for the remote and a slight power advantage with the 2500. However, I saved about $225 doing that. If you want to keep a few bucks, that's the way to go. On top of that, both my parents and my brother, as well as myself have had Denon products that have brokend down after just a few years. Now, this is my own personal experience, so, others probably have had little or no problems at all. But, I have to admit that it made me hesitate a bit and go for the Yamaha. Both are great receivers though, you should get fantastic sound! Hope you enjoy it!

N

newfmp3

Audioholic
how are the yammies with a 4 ohm load?

i have axiom m80's which are 4 ohms

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
3db said:
mark-up on Denon's are insane and they are definately not worth it compared to similar models made by Yamaha.
Thats the funniest thing I've read. If you think the markup is high you should try to make a living selling them. As a dealer I can tell you that the markup on almost all electronics is rediculously low. :rolleyes:

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
You live in the southern States AV man, 3db and I live in Ontario. I don't really know why but the price of Denon's products here in Canada is dispraportionate to what you lucky devils south of the border pay. Maybe it is Volume of sales as Yamaha is much more available then Denon (at least where I live in Ontario). Harman Kardon is the worst for this, basicaly double what you guys pay MSRP. If you go into an AV shop and know how to haggle the discounts we can get also seem to bigger then you guys can get. To me that means we are paying more overhead, but who knows. Also don't forget our nifty 15% tax in most provinces. I could go on all day but I'm really just backing up 3db's assertions, after all how many other Ontarians that are big PSB fans besides me are there on this site?

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
Sorry guys I really had no idea that prices were higher there. Michael Moore said everything is better up there. :)

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I saw that movie too, don't let it fool you. It is very slanted, although entertaining. Let's just say I don't think you'd find many homes in my city with the door unlocked.

Our dollar is worth less than yours, so that makes stuff cost more. Factor into that we only have a tenth of your population but are still a larger country and you can see why we pay more. We have less people to buy products and we have to ship it further to get it to consumers while paying about $.25 to $.50 a gallon more for gas then you guys. I hope I didn't come across as being mean when I was backing up 3db, it's just that we feel like we get the short end of the stick up here when it comes to pricing often. I am half Yankie, and over half of my family lives in the southern US (California & Texas) so I really wasn't trying to tae any cheap shots.

av-man

av-man

Audioholic
takereasy,
I didn't take it that way at all. I just wasn't aware of the price differences.
By the way I did not see the movie. I think Michael Moore is a scumbag traitor and he'll never get a dime of my money. Every documentary before that fairytale was full of cut and paste lies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis