U

UFCLuvah

Enthusiast
Hi guys, this is my first post!

I am ready to purchase a new tv for my basement which will be completed soon.

I am stuck between either LCD rear projection or PLasma. Here are the models of interest. Your recommendations are more than welcome. TO be used for HDTV vieiwing, playing Wii (movie watching will be on my projector :)

LCD Rear Projection:
Samsung 1080p 56" LED-DLP Projection HDTV** (HL-T5687) - $2699
Sony 55" 1080p LCD HDTV** (KDS55A2020) - $2499

Plasma's:
LG 50" Widescreen Plasma HDTV** (50PC5D) - $2199
Samsung 50" Widescreen Plasma HDTV** (HPT5054) - $2299

thanks!

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Since it sounds like you have a dedicated room, complete control of light, I would suggest going with a plasma TV as they generally do better jobs than LCDs.

Between LG and Samsung I would take the Samsung any day but if I were you I would also look at Panny plasmas as they seem to have a better picture than the Samsungs for about the same price.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
If you're going for a Plasma, Pioneer or Panasonic is the way to go. I think they look better than the Samsung's or LG's. Check out Best Buy Plasma for some good deals.

U

UFCLuvah

Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

AS for Plasma's, is there anything I should really know about them or whats the best features to check before purchasing?

Is there motion blur issues with like Sports (I am a big Hockey/football fan) I would hate to see trails and crap on high motion hd video.

Also, if you can recommend any wall moutning brackets for a 50" P would be great.

SB\

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Plasma's handle motion very smoothly. I think Sports looks the best on a Plasma display compared to any other technology. Unfortunately, many "stats" given by the manufacturers are arrived at by different methods, so you'd be best served by going to a Store with the displays you want to see, and checking them out. Try to use them with real life sources, not the in-store feeds if you can. Pick the one that looks the best, and has the features you want (keep in mind you can always buy from a different store, or online for better deals).

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
One thing to note between displays is that stores like best buy generally use a feed from a hard drive that is sent at 720p so everything will be on an even plane. If a screen is marketed as 1080p it won't be receiving 1080p source.

U

UFCLuvah

Enthusiast
Awesome stuff...PLasma it is!

Just need to source models @ FS or BB tomorrow.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Sorry, but how the heck do you have a "rear-projection" LCD?!?!

I thought those were 2 different technologies. :confused:

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Sorry, but how the heck do you have a "rear-projection" LCD?!?!

I thought those were 2 different technologies. :confused:
There are rear projection LCD TV's, just as there are front projection LCD projectors. The same technology is used. Rear projection just means that the picture comes from behind the screen (DLP, LCOS, RP CRT, LCD TV's), as opposed to front projection (like a movie theater) where the image is projected onto the front of the screen.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Also note that rear projection LCD is reflective vs flat panel LCD which is transmissive. In rear projection the light is aimed toward the rear and reflects back to the screen via a mirror whereas a flat panel LCD transmits the light through the LCD layer and onto the screen.

D

dem beats

Senior Audioholic
UFC have you thought about front projection??

Just curious. It's best when in a dedicated room, but I can never look back.

That's my opinion, If it wasn't the main viewing room I would go DLP or plasma or lcd perhaps. I don't go much into 1080 however... I am not convinced on the tech behind it yet.

Flame and slam me but I just don't see too much of a difference on most things especialy when seated so far away. It's nice to have a Huge screen to me.

just my .02 man... I like the cost effectiveness also.

U

UFCLuvah

Enthusiast
Hey guys,

I just got back from Best Buy and bought..........

Samsung 50" Widescreen Plasma HDTV** (HPT5054) for $2200

I also picked up the Sony STRDG910 7.1 receiver.

I couldnt resist...I had them hook up an hdtv movie to it and i loved it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis