HELP: BUYING 1st SUBWOOFER !!!

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
GREETINGS TO AUDIOHOLICS...Buying my first subwoofer with a budget of $200-300
and will upgrade in 6 months after moving into our new home. Its going to be in a open livingroom apartment which I prefer a sub gear for mainly music and as mentioned
will be upgrading sub , main speakers with a centerspeaker, this what I have now:

Denon 1912 avr 7.1
2 RE Nova 8b speakers
Sony ce 500 cd player

What I've learned here is not about the price but whats in sync with what you have
quality and if it meets your satisfaction...HELP!!!

THANKS TO ALL,
DARYLL

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What is the room size in your new house?

Will this subwoofer be for the new house or old?

What is your budget for the new speakers for your new house?

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Giegar's recommendation is worthwhile. I've read good things about the NXG.

If you intend to upgrade the sub in 6 months, it might be better to spend a little less now so you've got more for your upgrade budget later. Add this Dayton 15" to your list for consideration. If you intend to use the sub for a few months then sell on Craigslist, spending the extra $20 on the this wireless package deal now might increase your base of potential customers and make it easier to sell down the road. Or you might decide to keep it once you've got it. :)

W

wlmmn

Junior Audioholic
If you're going to upgrade in 6 months, personally I would wait until I had $500-700 to spend on a subwoofer instead. MUCH better choices in that price range than the $200-$300 range you stated. My 2 cents.

That being said, an audio place near my house sells nice used gear, some in your price range, and they will ship to you: Subwoofers | The Music Room

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You simply never know where that knucklehead will show up... :D
Hey knuckles!!! Thanks for showing up.:p

To the OP, Giegar offered a very viable option in your price range. I would target that sub as well. However, Rojo offered excellent advice in that you should save your money and opt for a more expensive sub with better capabilities such as playing louder, cleaner, and deeper. That way, you end up spending less in the long run.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
$200-300 is really not much for good sub - musical subs are much more precise than a typical HT sub and thus more expensive.
Above mentioned NGX is not terrible way to go at this budget, but as also mentioned you probably should save a bit more.

Good Sub function is vastly underrated, and good sub cost good money. My mains rated down to 30hz, yet after I've added an expensive PA-120 sub and some basic calibrations - the whole system started to sound 100 times better.

If you have an skills and change to build your own box, this opens up whole new world and would allow you to build simply an amazing sub for very little green

This driver: HT18 18″ Subwoofer | Stereo Integrity in a 3 or 4 cuft box and a couple of hundred for pro-amp and you would be in sub heaven.

T

Tom V.

Audioholic
That is a REALLY good performer at $270. Jim Wilson liked it a lot and its CEA-2010 performance has it nearly equal to very nice $700(ish) subs like the sb2000 for example.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That is a REALLY good performer at $270. Jim Wilson liked it a lot and its CEA-2010 performance has it nearly equal to very nice $700(ish) subs like the sb2000 for example.

Tom V.
Power Sound Audio

I emailed Jim asking him how the NXG sub compares to the Rythmik LV-12R and he stated that Rythmik is a much better sub and that it should be for twice the price. That being said, I think the SB2000 will outperform the LV12-R. The NXG is an excellent sub for the money and a better alternative then the BIC that gets tossed around here but I don't think its comes close to the sb2000. The NXG is an excellent sub for the money

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Hey GieGar, thanks for the infor and I've been comparing it to other subs in my budget and by far. nothing else compares to the nx-bas-500. When I decide I will let you know...Thanks for the knowledge !!!

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
The PB2000 for sure....and I think the SB2000 as well.
The PB2000 may indeed be able to outgun the LV-12R, and at a 1/3rd more $$ it really should be able to. I have to disagree about the SB2000 though; the LV-12R would easily best it.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Hey Rojo I've reserching the Dayton 15 and just like
the Nx -Bas-15 the reviews are really good and the choice is still up in the air, and if I make this my choice I will give it to someone that may have need for it or has interest just has I have and share the knowledge that you gave to me...I will let you know my choice !!! ...THANKS ROJO

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The PB2000 may indeed be able to outgun the LV-12R, and at a 1/3rd more $$ it really should be able to. I have to disagree about the SB2000 though; the LV-12R would easily best it.
That's nice to know Thank you.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey Rojo I've reserching the Dayton 15 and just like
the Nx -Bas-15 the reviews are really good and the choice is still up in the air, and if I make this my choice I will give it to someone that may have need for it or has interest just has I have and share the knowledge that you gave to me...I will let you know my choice !!! ...THANKS ROJO[/QUOTE

Have you considered saving your money for a better sub so you would end up spending less in the long run?

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
That's nice to know Thank you.
Don't forget the SBxxxx offered by Svs are the sealed units...I doubt they'd keep pace with the LV12 or any decent ported 12" sub out there...with subs...everything is relative. :)

BTW...happy TG....sir..;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis