Help! Baby's coming ... how do I protect my $3,000 speakers?

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
Hi guys ....

So I am at stage where my baby girl is about to start crawling and all my equipment is fragile to falls. My receiver is on a floor level and easy to reach. My Sierra-1 NRT speakers are bookshelves standing on a stand that can easily be tipped over. My sub .... $1,000 worth can be poked even through the cover.

basically ... how do you guys (those that have small kids) avoid the unfortunate incidents?

thanks

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have children, which works perfectly. You might want to try a lock on the door to the home theater room, and always keep it locked. If you do not have a door for it, install one. With a lock.

If you choose to bring destructive people into your home, what do you expect to happen?

Also, you need to consider the damage to your child, when she topples things on top of her. You need to make sure that it is impossible for her to topple your gear on top of her. Otherwise, when it happens, who do you think is to blame? Who do you think your wife will blame? Who do you think the police will blame?

There are a couple of homely old sayings about this:

You've buttered your bread, now eat it.

You've made your bed, now sleep in it.

You need to put everything out of reach. Never mind that this is expensive and will not be ideal for audio quality. See the two homely sayings above.

DannyA

DannyA

Audioholic
You could give your stuff to me until she turns 18! :D

But seriously I use baby gates. I've used them for the kids, grandkids and our pets. At one point we had gates everywhere. It doesn't look great but that shouldn't matter because your daughter is going to have that place a mess anyway. That's what 2 year olds do! :p Maybe wall mount the bookshelf speakers if possible. For the sub, you might try changing the firing direction to the side that she won't have access to. I would be more concerned with your cabling. Make sure it is tidy and tucked as far out of reach as possible.

Grats on the new family! Family is where it's at!

K

kini

Full Audioholic
You could actually watch her to make sure she doesn't cause any damage. I know, pretty radical idea. I went through two girls, with speakers on stands and a sub with no grill. Never had a problem.

It's called "parenting". :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Put equipments in a room that can be locked. When you leave the room, lock the door.

My HT room is always locked when I am not in it.

R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
Constant supervision and the fear of my wrath should something happen to my precious... Worked like a charm in a home with 2 kids and 4 dogs.

I nearly crapped myself when one kid was vigorously hi-five-ing Sponge Bob on the TV. Caught him quick enough that no harm was done and I made sure it never happens again.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
I want my babyback babyback babyback...

Hi guys ... how do you guys (those that have small kids) avoid the unfortunate incidents?
My wife and I use an "invisible dog fence" in combination with dog shock collars to prevent those unfortunate kid related incidents...

The "fence" ends about 3 feet in front of our equipment...

The second our 3 year old or 18 month old cross that "invisible fence" line...
well...
let's just say... that doesn't happen very much anymore...

oh...

and the combo also works on mother-in-laws, guinea pigs and runaway lobsters...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
****! There goes my plan. Now I gotta find a key...
Up late at night studying again?

BTW, I use keyless door locks now. So you'll just have figure out the correct numbers to enter into the keypad. :D

After you bypass my security cameras. :eek:

Lights, Thermostats, Garages, and Security cameras are all Wi-Fi and door Locks are KEYLESS. Welcome to the digital home automation age. ;)

bizmord

bizmord

Full Audioholic
You could give your stuff to me until she turns 18! :D

But seriously I use baby gates. I've used them for the kids, grandkids and our pets. At one point we had gates everywhere. It doesn't look great but that shouldn't matter because your daughter is going to have that place a mess anyway. That's what 2 year olds do! :p Maybe wall mount the bookshelf speakers if possible. For the sub, you might try changing the firing direction to the side that she won't have access to. I would be more concerned with your cabling. Make sure it is tidy and tucked as far out of reach as possible.

Grats on the new family! Family is where it's at!
I am not sure i should wall mount them as these are big bookshelves and they need at least 20 inches in the back of free space.
Good point about cabling. I guess I should go buy that staple gun after all.

You could actually watch her to make sure she doesn't cause any damage. I know, pretty radical idea. I went through two girls, with speakers on stands and a sub with no grill. Never had a problem.

It's called "parenting". :)
Believe me ... I am too much of a hawk ok these things. However, you can't be on top of them 100% of then time. While I was at work, wife had a friend over with a 2 year old kid. That toddler had his hand in the cake and wound up touching my center channel (thank God, the wood part). That took about 6 seconds that my wife didn't catch. So, sh*t happens, you know.

Put equipments in a room that can be locked. When you leave the room, lock the door.

My HT room is always locked when I am not in it.
All my stuff is in a living room :)

Constant supervision and the fear of my wrath should something happen to my precious... Worked like a charm in a home with 2 kids and 4 dogs.

I nearly crapped myself when one kid was vigorously hi-five-ing Sponge Bob on the TV. Caught him quick enough that no harm was done and I made sure it never happens again.
that's funny :)

My wife and I use an "invisible dog fence" in combination with dog shock collars to prevent those unfortunate kid related incidents...

The "fence" ends about 3 feet in front of our equipment...

The second our 3 year old or 18 month old cross that "invisible fence" line...
well...
let's just say... that doesn't happen very much anymore...

oh...

and the combo also works on mother-in-laws, guinea pigs and runaway lobsters...
Hilarious. Our company actually sells these .. i can get a bunch of them at a steep discount :) I do however like my mother in law, so no collar for her.

T

tdogroeder

Audioholic Intern
You posted this exact same thread at avsforum, why?

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Up late at night studying again?

BTW, I use keyless door locks now. So you'll just have figure out the correct numbers to enter into the keypad. :D

After you bypass my security cameras. :eek:

Lights, Thermostats, Garages, and Security cameras are all Wi-Fi and door Locks are KEYLESS. Welcome to the digital home automation age. ;)
I think you mean welcome to the 1 percent. :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis