Help a noob in selecting speakers for home theater

J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
Hello All,

i am trying to setup my home theater. I am looking for my options in speakers and sub. My budget is max $1500 (i would like to keep it lower that that if possible). I was looking at Fry's and noticed they have a deal going on for $1499.

It includes the following -
Onkyo TX-NR636 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver
2x Klipsch RF42 II Floorstanding Speakers
Klipsch RB41 II Bookshelf Speakers - Pair
Klipsch RC42 II Center Channel Speaker
Klipsch SW-450 10" 450W Down-Firing Subwoofer

Is this a good deal ? And what are your thoughts for the speakers ?

Please suggest any other options .. thank you so much

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
have you listened to Klipsch speakers, especially the RF42 towers? Before purchase make sure you do - Klipsch (especially budget models) often can sound too bright and not comfortable for extended listening
Also this Klipsch sub is nothing to write home about

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Listen to them and find out if you like them - and audition some others.

However, I would prefer another sub

J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
Listen to them and find out if you like them - and audition some others.

However, I would prefer another sub
have you listened to Klipsch speakers, especially the RF42 towers? Before purchase make sure you do - Klipsch (especially budget models) often can sound too bright and not comfortable for extended listening
Also this Klipsch sub is nothing to write home about
Thanks guys for your replies ... do you have any suggestions for speakers and sub at this price point ? I have been trying to do some research but getting confused with all the info out there ..

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Here's another option:

2x Definitive Technology towers -- $400
Def Tech center -- $349
Def Tech monitors, pair -- $218 (see new and used from $199 for the deal)
Dayton 15" Sub -- $199
Denon AVR-E300 -- $190
---
Total: $1356 shipped. Or upgrade to the AVR-E400 for $60 more.

This still leaves some for interconnects, wire, and speaker stands for the rear monitors.

Or this:

2x Definitive Technology towers -- $400
Def Tech center -- $349
2x NXG Pro 4.1 satellites -- $90
Hsu STF-2 -- $375, which I think will be a tighter sub with a more inert cabinet and better amp than the Dayton suggested above, not to mention possibly higher wife-acceptance factor.
Denon AVR-E300 -- $190
---
Total: $1404. The NXGs will be wall-mountable with some $10 wall mount brackets.

Actually, the more I look at this, the more I like zieg's suggestion:

HTD Level Two tower pair -- $399
HTD Level Two center -- $129 (on backorder / preorder, shipping mid-July)
Outlaw LFM1-EX -- $599 for a very grown-up sub (Father's Day special, probably only good for this week)
Denon AVR-E300 -- $190

... which puts you at $1407, but will be the best sounding system I think.

In any case, whichever combo you choose, everything everyone has suggested ought to be much better than that Klipsch / Onkyo combo.

Last edited:
J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys for all the suggestions ...

Also, the in wall wiring has outlets in front (halfway between floor and ceiling also .. are they there in case someone decides to use the bookshelf speakers/or those small speakers that come with home theater speaker systems in front ?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks guys for all the suggestions ...

Also, the in wall wiring has outlets in front (halfway between floor and ceiling also .. are they there in case someone decides to use the bookshelf speakers/or those small speakers that come with home theater speaker systems in front ?
Outlets? Do you mean speaker cable jacks?

J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
Quick question, what do you think about pioneer SW-8MK2 sub ? The whole set of speakers including the sub is on sale for 399. Or atleast a 10" sub is recommended ?

TIA

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yes .. u can prob guess now how i have no clue about this stuff .. :D
Lol, to answer your question, you can use them to hook up your speakers if you want. If your speakers are a long run away from the AVR (over 20 ft) I would make sure the cable used in wall is 14 AWG or 12 AWG.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Quick question, what do you think about pioneer SW-8MK2 sub ? The whole set of speakers including the sub is on sale for 399. Or atleast a 10" sub is recommended ?

TIA
What expectations do you have for the home theater setup you get?

1. On a scale of one to ten, one being anything better than your tv's built-in speakers, five being a noticeable tactile rumble and thump you can feel in your chest, and ten flexing your windows and measurable on the Richter scale, where would you like your subwoofer?

2. Scale of one to ten again for the full-range speakers, one for anything cheap as long as it's marginally better than the television, five for clear sound while still a bargain, and ten like the performers are in your room, where would you like your left / center / right speakers?

3. What are the dimensions of the room you're filling with sound?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
Lol, to answer your question, you can use them to hook up your speakers if you want. If your speakers are a long run away from the AVR (over 20 ft) I would make sure the cable used in wall is 14 AWG or 12 AWG.
Man .. u r killing me here ... i just told u that i didin't even know the what the outlets were called and now u r using more technical terms :D ..

i will do some research and find out what kind of cable is being used, it's a new construction home so hoping it's atleast decent cables ..

thanks

J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
What expectations do you have for the home theater setup you get?

1. On a scale of one to ten, one being anything better than your tv's built-in speakers, five being a noticeable tactile rumble and thump you can feel in your chest, and ten flexing your windows and measurable on the Richter scale, where would you like your subwoofer?

2. Scale of one to ten again for the full-range speakers, one for anything cheap as long as it's marginally better than the television, five for clear sound while still a bargain, and ten like the performers are in your room, where would you like your left / center / right speakers?

3. What are the dimensions of the room you're filling with sound?

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk
i am definitely not looking for something that's just better than tv speakers. that being said don't really need super high quality stuff (i can't afford it). I am trying to buy the speakers and receiver under $1000, but that seems difficult so have raised the budget to $1500 .. (if i spend more than that my wife would freak out :eek: and prob kill me :D )

So to answer your questions -

1) Anything between 5-7 since i just closed on this house and am tight on budget, not looking for something expensive. I talked to 3-4 neighbors in my community and they have paid like 6-7k (the projector they selected was 2.5k) to get home theater setup, and i certainly can't afford that. So i am trying to do some research and setup everything on my own. I selected BenQ w1070 proj, Elite screen 135 inch screen (i know it's not the best but heard it's fairly decent, if i am not happy with it i will retrun and buy a better one)

2) Same thing with speaker, anything between 5-7 (if a level 7 kind of speakers are going to be out of my budget then i think i will be happy with 5). The speakers i was thinking of putting in left/center below the screen and right. I am not sure whether i need floor standing speakers or i can get smaller one which i can use a wall mount and hook up on wall (not a big fan of seeing cables all around the room). I was just thinking of setting up a 5 speaker system for now and if i felt like its not enough i could add 2 more speakers later. The room has 7 speaker jacks overall.

3) The media room is 18ft by 13ft 10 inch. I am attaching a couple of pics i just took. First one is the one where i am planning to put the screen and second pic is back of the room.

FYI here are the speakers that my neighbors have opted for, what are your thoughts for these ???? The second one i think is out of my budget, just wondering what the experts here think -
1) All Boston Acoustics - Bravo 20 speakers 6 count external, asw 650 sub, Center channel a225c. Dennon x3000 receiver

2) Episode 500 Series SAT Speakers (6 speakers), Center Channel: Episode 700 Series LCR Speaker, Episode Evolution 12" Powered Subwoofer, Receiver: Pioneer SC-1522 .

Hope this anwsers all your questions and once again, thanks a lot for your help .. i would buy u (and others) a beer if you were in Frisco... :D

Attachments

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
the AWG is the thickness of the wire. The longer the run, the thicker you will want the wire to be. 12 AWG is very thick. 20 AWG is very thin, and only suitable for a very short distance. Knowing that contractors will shortchange you every chance they get, the wire in your walls are probably awful. You need to remove the speaker jack wall plate and check the wire to be sure. The wire thickness should be labeled on the wire jacket every couple of feet or so.

Any of the speaker systems that have been recommended to you in this thread will be better than what your neighbors have. Just don't expect an Imax levels of sound though, there is only so much your modest budget can do, however I still think you will be pleased with your setup if you follow one of the recommendations made to you here.

J

JackD121

Audioholic Intern
the AWG is the thickness of the wire. The longer the run, the thicker you will want the wire to be. 12 AWG is very thick. 20 AWG is very thin, and only suitable for a very short distance. Knowing that contractors will shortchange you every chance they get, the wire in your walls are probably awful. You need to remove the speaker jack wall plate and check the wire to be sure. The wire thickness should be labeled on the wire jacket every couple of feet or so.

Any of the speaker systems that have been recommended to you in this thread will be better than what your neighbors have. Just don't expect an Imax levels of sound though, there is only so much your modest budget can do, however I still think you will be pleased with your setup if you follow one of the recommendations made to you here.
Thanks..will check the cables .. now that u say it .. i am sure they must have used the cheapest and worst kind possible .... wish i knew about this before .. anywho ..

what do u think about this system.. one of the other expert also recommended the speakers ..any thoughts on the sub ?

SP-PK52FS - Andrew Jones Designed 5.1 Channel Speaker Package | Pioneer Electronics USA

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
1) Anything between 5-7 since i just closed on this house and am tight on budget, not looking for something expensive.
Go with the Outlaw. Do it now, before the sale runs out!

2) Same thing with speaker, anything between 5-7 (if a level 7 kind of speakers are going to be out of my budget then i think i will be happy with 5).
Better stick with our recommendations. You've got champagne tastes on a Miller Lite budget.

I am not sure whether i need floor standing speakers or i can get smaller one which i can use a wall mount and hook up on wall (not a big fan of seeing cables all around the room).
Wall-mount. Got it. We can work with this. OK, I'm going to solve all your problems, even some you don't realize you have yet.

Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SE pair with an HTM-200 SE center channel = $476 (Memorial Day / summer sale, unknown for how long)
Outlaw LFM1-EX -- $599 for a very grown-up sub (Father's Day special, probably only good for this week)
Denon AVR-E300 -- $190
heavy duty wall-mount bracket 4-pack -- $33
Subwoofer cable -- $8
More speaker wire than you need -- $9
Make some DIY acoustic panels -- ~$100 (I hope)

That room is going to be awfully live. Acoustic panels and bass traps will improve your sound more than you'd think. Plus, you can let your wife pick out the fabric, which she'll dig, and it'll make your neighbors jealous. See this site for some placement ideas.

Total cost is around your max budget, depending on acoustic panels. But the WAF will be so off-the-scale, she's sure to let you overspend! Then you can add some Wiremold or whatever cable management you like for the subwoofer cable and power cords as needed. :)

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks..will check the cables .. now that u say it .. i am sure they must have used the cheapest and worst kind possible .... wish i knew about this before .. anywho ..

what do u think about this system.. one of the other expert also recommended the speakers ..any thoughts on the sub ?

SP-PK52FS - Andrew Jones Designed 5.1 Channel Speaker Package | Pioneer Electronics USA
The speakers are well regarded for the price. I heard them in store and thought they were fine. The sub, on the other hand, is not worth owning, skip it. The Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX is on sale right now for $600 shipped, it will be many times better than the Pioneer sub, I would hit that sale while it lasts. Easily the best bang for your buck at that sale price. The sale only goes on for another couple days.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis