Heil Crossover Slope

H

hndaholic

Audiophyte
I am thinking about matching the large heil's with a pair of audax 8" woofers at 1500 hz but need advice for the best filter type and slope.From what I have read,24db will cause insertion loss(can anyone tell me the audible effect of this ?),18db can cause lobing(does this also apply to the heil's ?)and 12db may not be steep enough.Or would you recommend crossing over higher,say 2k ? Any knowledge the ESS fans can share is greatly appreciated.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am thinking about matching the large heil's with a pair of audax 8" woofers at 1500 hz but need advice for the best filter type and slope.From what I have read,24db will cause insertion loss(can anyone tell me the audible effect of this ?),18db can cause lobing(does this also apply to the heil's ?)and 12db may not be steep enough.Or would you recommend crossing over higher,say 2k ? Any knowledge the ESS fans can share is greatly appreciated.
The Heil air motion transformer has existed in many versions. I have never seen published specifications sufficient for the design of a crossover.

P

Pharos

Audiophyte
Hi hndaholic, I am using the 'Grand Master' Heils with a 12" woofer. The Xover cct for the Heil is 4th order butterworth at 1.8kHz. ESS have crossed variously at 700Hz, 800Hz 900Hz and 1kHz over the years with various slopes. If you place them around your head as headphones, and keep the level very low, they will go down to 100Hz. I love the unit, having had it in the 80's, and returned to it in '02 - I cannot live with domes, and think that most mid range cones are slow.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Any passive filter will cause insertion loss- it's the phase shift that can be a problem but the type of filter is how some of the problems are minimized. Also, the drivers determine what kind of filter and slope are needed.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis