Headset/2loudspeaker amplifier requirement

D

dualdot

Audiophyte
Let me start off with my setup;

The source is my computer with a creative Xfi Fatal1ty Pro sound card. From there, a (link 1) 3.5mm Y-jack converts to two RCA (red and white) which plug into the back of my 25 year old (link 2) JVC A-X2 stereo integrated amplifier. This amp is driving 2 (8") loudspeakers (which I don't know the specs of) and I also run my (link 3) AH-D2000 Denon headphones on it.

because it is so old, it often starts to distort the sound or one speaker doesn't play anymore etc etc. I found 2 ways to recover the sound. I can play with the mono/stereo or AUX buttons or bang on the amp (my last recourse when buttons don't fix it).

So I wan't to replace this JVC "stereo integrated amplifier." My question is: Do I want a power amplifier, a pre-amp, a pro-amp, an integrated amplifier a reciever or something else? From what I read and understand, everthing I mentioned does the same thing; takes an input and and sends it to my loudspeakers with the least amount of distortion.

I call upon you good folks of AH, what piece of equipement am I looking for if I want to replace the JVC?

(1) computercableinc.com/ccinc/images/CABLE-Audio-Y-Splitter-2-RCA-Females-to-1-3-5mm-Male-IEC-M7401.jpg
(2) vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/217/1213.html?begin=31
(3) img237.imageshack.us/img237/9859/img0160mj9.jpg

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm assuming stereo here.

You want an integrated amp, which contains a preamp and a power amp on one chassis. If you add a tuner to it, go for a receiver.

Depending on your budget, receivers tend to be more plentiful than integrted amps.

Of course, there's always garage sales and other means of local procurment, not to mention ebay.

D

dualdot

Audiophyte
Ok, thanks!
My next question is how to choose a manufacturer and where can I find a list? Maybe if you threw out a few names it would give me a start.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Ok, thanks!
My next question is how to choose a manufacturer and where can I find a list? Maybe if you threw out a few names it would give me a start.
Hi,

The manufacturers that have a good reputation for their products are, in no special order: Marantz, Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer (all Japanese).
For more higher end; NAD, Rotel, Arcam, Integra, Pioneer Elite and Sherwood NewCastle.
Just stick with one of the big 5 Japanese one, and you'll do just fine.

Older Receivers (with a tuner) and integrate Amps (amp + preamp combo) can be add for very little money on the use market, or refurb units.

Just Google best list of A/V Receivers or Stereo Receivers or Stereo Integrated Amps. "Retrevo" is a good place to give you an idea. There are also several other places on the internet that will help you out with the best models for a particular year.
The more you find out about what you like, the more choice you will find, but also you will eventually come to your own list, and proceed by elimination according to your budget, your prerequisites and your values.

By the way, I own Denon and Yamaha Stereo Integrated Amps (pre-main amplifiers), and they are excellent with a good headphone output. Sometimes you can get some very good deals at second hand store or Salvation Army. I found some nice Stereo receivers for less than $15, with 2 sets of speakers, a nice tuner, 55 watts per channel, a nice headphone jack, plus other nice features too (that one was a Kenwood, Model KR-5010).

Anything else?

Bob

Last edited:
F

fast1

Audioholic
i think if you mentioned your budget, your answer would be more targeted.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Hi,

Do you listen to radio from your computer?

Do you want only a two channel amplifier?

Do you want a stereo integrated amp? > This might just be what you are looking for.

Would you prefer a stereo receiver?

About an A/V receiver with 5 or 7 channels?

From what I can understand, you will be satisfied with a stereo integrated amp, just like your older JVC integrated amp.

You can get some nice Yamaha, or Marantz, or Denon stereo integrated amp for way less than $300, for a refurb or used model on the internet.

I bought a brand new Denon integrated amp (pre-main amplifier) the PMA-250, way back in 1987 for only $250 cdn (about $180 usa at that time), and I still use it. It sounds very good and have a very nice headphone jack and quite a few source inputs, a tape monitor, a CD Direct input, a phono input, a tuner input, an Aux input, some nice turning knobs for the Bass & Treble controls and a Balance control.
It is 30 watts per channel, it is plenty for the room where I use it, and it works like I just bought it yesterday. It is very well designed and have a short special circuitry for the most direct and short path for the best sound. The CD Direct is also a very nice feature. The tape monitor is cool too.
Yamaha also have some very nice integrated amps that cost very little and sounds like high end.
Same for some Marantz and Pioneer models, and Onkyo too.

If I will be looking to buy another integrated amp for about $300, I will look in particular at some Denon and Yamaha models.

And if I want to save some money, let's say for about $150 to $200, I will buy a nice refurb or a used one from a reputable place, that will list originally for about $500 to $750.

So, even with $100, you can get something that was listed at $400 originally. Deals are everywhere.

Hope this help,

Bob

Last edited:
D

dualdot

Audiophyte
Alright, I will keep my eyes open for a Stereo integrated amp as it is now clear that this is what I need. If you see a deal feel free to resurect this thread!

Many thanks to all!

**[update]**

I looked up the specs of my old JVC amp. It was rated as 40wpc so I am looking for something around this rating. I also browsed for integrated amps and I find plenty (new) but almost all above 300$. Where would you guys look for reliable used/refurbished equipement?

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
What to look for...

+1 for Audiogon.

Yes, you can get a 100 watts per channel used integrated amp from $50 to $150 at most.

I'm not sure also if "accessories4less" carry refurbished stereo integrated amps.

And don't get a JVC, or Sony, or Awai, or Akai, or HK. :mad:

Stick with the good brands; Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz and Pioneer. :)

Happy hunting,

Bob

D

dualdot

Audiophyte
I am still in search and my current amp is dying a bit each day. As for the previous post, I have not yet seen such an awesome deal on ebay or audiogon.

Yes, you can get a 100 watts per channel used integrated amp from $50 to $150 at most.

Bob
I am looking for a ~300$ integrated solidstate amplifier which can be shipped to Canada (and is preferably not 25 years old)

If you have any suggestions or places where to look, I am all ears and especially grateful!

Last edited by a moderator:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Let me start off with my setup;

The source is my computer with a creative Xfi Fatal1ty Pro sound card. From there, a (link 1) 3.5mm Y-jack converts to two RCA (red and white) which plug into the back of my 25 year old (link 2) JVC A-X2 stereo integrated amplifier. This amp is driving 2 (8") loudspeakers (which I don't know the specs of) and I also run my (link 3) AH-D2000 Denon headphones on it.

because it is so old, it often starts to distort the sound or one speaker doesn't play anymore etc etc. I found 2 ways to recover the sound. I can play with the mono/stereo or AUX buttons or bang on the amp (my last recourse when buttons don't fix it).

So I wan't to replace this JVC "stereo integrated amplifier." My question is: Do I want a power amplifier, a pre-amp, a pro-amp, an integrated amplifier a reciever or something else? From what I read and understand, everthing I mentioned does the same thing; takes an input and and sends it to my loudspeakers with the least amount of distortion.

I call upon you good folks of AH, what piece of equipement am I looking for if I want to replace the JVC?

(1) computercableinc.com/ccinc/images/CABLE-Audio-Y-Splitter-2-RCA-Females-to-1-3-5mm-Male-IEC-M7401.jpg
(2) vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/217/1213.html?begin=31
(3) img237.imageshack.us/img237/9859/img0160mj9.jpg
If you don't want to spend much money, the first thing I would do is buy a can of contact cleaner and preservative, so the controls and switches can be cleaned. Once that's done, it'll probably work for another 25 years. I seriously doubt that it has any major problems. Radio Shack sells this. It's cheap and a good thing to have on hand, anyway.

highfigh

highfigh

+1 for Audiogon.

I'm not sure also if "accessories4less" carry refurbished stereo integrated amps.

And don't get a JVC, or Sony, or Awai, or Akai, or HK. :mad:

Stick with the good brands; Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz and Pioneer. :)

Happy hunting,

Bob

I agree on the Aiwa and Akai but I'm listening to a Sony ES integrated amp right now, and have only owned Sony ES or Audio Lab series integrated amps since 1978. I still have the second one and it still blows away most of the new stuff. I have no experience with new Sony gear but I'll bet the ES is still decent. The mid-late '80s stuff is great. I have a TA-F500ES and other than cleaning the controls once in 15 years, I have done absolutely nothing to or for it. Also, all of the controls and switching are passive. The other amp is a TA-F6B and when I had it checked out by the service tech at work, the output at distortion and frequency response spec was 176W/ch. This is 76W/ch above what the manual indicated.

Not bad for a Sony.

HK has made some very good sounding equipment, too. I know that not all of it was particularly dependable but it did sound good. The run of the mill Pioneer was nowhere near Sony ES.

highfigh

highfigh

Ill try that tonight but I just saw a nice looking deal: Yamaha AX-630 on ebay

What do I look for when I'm cleaning?
The controls will probably have a slot over the terminals- you'll want to squirt some cleaner in and rotate the control through its full range of motion several times. You can do this with the unit powered up- just don't touch anything inside that's near the power supply. The switches may have slots or openings too. Give each one a shot and you should hear the scratchiness clear up. If it has the SEA graphic EQ, you may be able to get in easier from the front- bring the slider almost to the top, give it a squirt and move them up and down several times. The power switch doesn't need anything since that has always been more than anything else.

I don't know how many people were made much happier when they got the call about their receiver or amplifier from us. They usually came in expecting a big service bill and most only needed clean/lube of the controls and switches. They build up a good amount of stuff when they aren't moved over the years and once they move, what the wiper is on doesn't conduct much, if at all. That's why one or both channels will go out, switches are flaky and loud bursts of sound come out.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
What do I look for when I'm cleaning?
The product you need is " Tuner Control Cleaner & Lubricant".
I got a bottle right here in front of me.

It is available in Canada from "The Source", which is similar to "Radio Shack" in the USA.
* It has very clear instructions right on the spray can.
It is a must have product for people like us that have older audio components.
And it will last you a life time for only few dollars. :)

** I'm from Montreal too. :)

-> Ideas: @ http://accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/StereoReceivers/Home-Audio/Stereo-Receivers/1.html
[Just click on the model you are interested in.] :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I agree on the Aiwa and Akai but I'm listening to a Sony ES integrated amp right now, and have only owned Sony ES or Audio Lab series integrated amps since 1978. I still have the second one and it still blows away most of the new stuff. I have no experience with new Sony gear but I'll bet the ES is still decent. The mid-late '80s stuff is great. I have a TA-F500ES and other than cleaning the controls once in 15 years, I have done absolutely nothing to or for it. Also, all of the controls and switching are passive. The other amp is a TA-F6B and when I had it checked out by the service tech at work, the output at distortion and frequency response spec was 176W/ch. This is 76W/ch above what the manual indicated.

Not bad for a Sony.

HK has made some very good sounding equipment, too. I know that not all of it was particularly dependable but it did sound good. The run of the mill Pioneer was nowhere near Sony ES.
I agree with you, Sony ES has some nice and decent receivers or integratred amplifiers.
Some year's models better than others.
Same for Harman Kardon, and also Akai, even JVC.

* I'm more talking as of now, and in general. But I do admit that there are some exception
on some models.

I personally owned some Akai, JVC, Nikko, Kenwood, Sony, Pioneer,
older audio products, that I really love. And I won't depart from them. :)

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
D

dualdot

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the replies. I am looking into both solutions...

I opened up the amp and to my surprise, it was nearly spotless. There were a few small dust bunnies but nothing yelling out "clean me!" I also played with all the pot's and i also repeatedly pressed all the buttons on/off.

Here's why I think its the circuitry. I will be listening to music and then a speaker will stop working or will output at very low levels. I then press on either the AUX, loudness or Mono buttons until the sound comes back, or I *gently* tap the amp which usually fixes it instantly...

There are no browned components and no capacitor's with fuzz on them. Any other thoughts/tricks to try?

Marvelous site that is (accessories4less)!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis