Headphones For Christmas!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
But I just don't know what I want.:confused: I do know that I will only be using them my 2-channel rig and HT. As I understand it, open back is best for SQ. Plus, they don't need to be noise-cancelling. I've been reading up on various Sennheiser models and although the HD600 and HD650 get a lot of love, they are also quite spendy.:eek: I see that the HD598 is about half the price and they look nice. But, does the price difference reflect a major difference in SQ? This is all very preliminary, so I'm quite open to suggestions. I don't know if $500 for a pair of headphones is something I can justify, much less my wife. :oops:

B

Brian Jackson

Audiophyte
I've got a pair of the HD600 and I can't imagine listening through anything else now... (as far as headphones go that is)

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I myself have HD600 and I liked them over HD650 as these sound more neutral than HD650 does. Are they worth the price? Hell yes. I listened around 30 headphones in same price range and HD600 got me. Some got pretty close with sound but were lacking comfort. HD600 is amazing sound with really good comfort. They will need an amp to get best out of them, but as you are going to use them with your ht setup I believe this is not an issue.

How ever, if you think they are not worth the price tag something else I would consider is beyerdynamic DT 990. HD598 is not bad headphone in any way, but imo falls back a lot from HD600 or DT 990.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'm also looking at the AKG 701/702 which, while getting a lot of love, look to be significantly less expensive than the HD600/650.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm also looking at the AKG 701/702 which, while getting a lot of love, look to be significantly less expensive than the HD600/650.
Q701 have really nice sound, pretty close to HD600 but it is lacking the comfort that HD600 can offer you. Using Q701 for long periods is pain to do, at least for me.
Senns HD 580's were great too. Not sure if they still sell them, but they were great. I sold mine cause I needed the money. :( ATH-M50's(Great with music) are great. Pioneer SE-A1000(Great for Movies & Music) are often compared to the Senns 650 and are only about $50-80 bucks. I really like em too. Review: http://www.digitaltrends.com/headphone-reviews/pioneer-se-a1000-review/
HD580 has same driver as HD600, HD580 is discontinued model tho I think. ATH-M50 are missing a lot detail when compared to HD600 or Q701 for example. Also they are not comfort to use as they are on-ear design. Cant say anything about pioneers as haven't heard them.

DT990 can be found at same price as Q701 I think and I would pick them over Q701 as they are much more comfortable to use.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I also like the Beyerdynamics. DT770s for closed, DT990s for open back.. The DT990s are fantastic - it's like going into another world. I prefer them to my Shure E535s at home, but on the road Shure e535s FTW.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I will certainly check out the Beyerdynamics. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well, the first thing I found out about the Beyerdynamics is that the DT990 Pro and DT990 Premium are virtually the same - cosmetic differences and coiled vs straight cord - but the Pro version is substantially less expensive.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Well, the first thing I found out about the Beyerdynamics is that the DT990 Pro and DT990 Premium are virtually the same - cosmetic differences and coiled vs straight cord - but the Pro version is substantially less expensive.
Also now might not be the time to buy them... check out the price history on Amazon attached. That said, maybe now they cost more - but last year they also had a price spike around the holidays.

Headphones are notorious for wide price swings in my experience. Around the holidays it is such an easy thing to give a musician, audiophile, producer, etc.

Jamie found DT880s for 100 bucks SHIPPED last year and I bought two of them (I use the 880s at work). The 990s I can't remember what I paid.

Attachments

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I stopped at a local shop yesterday to have a listen to some AKG Q701s. They sounded great to me - nicely balanced with very good bass, but not overemphasized. The mids and highs sounded quite good as well, with a nice sense of space - probably due to the open-back design. As a comparison, I was offered pair of B & W p7's. I thought that was a bit odd, as they are a closed-back design. But then, I didn't specify that I was looking for open-back headphones, so maybe it wasn't so odd. The P7's certainly put more emphasis on the bass, although I wouldn't say excessively so. The 701's were definitely more neutral. Them P7's sure are purty though.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I was very disappointed to learn that akg q701/q702 are made in China. The few exceptions are the 60y anniversary edition of q702 and new pro line.
I personally think that my has a bit too much bass, but otherwise they are great

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I was very disappointed to learn that akg q701/q702 are made in China. The few exceptions are the 60y anniversary edition of q702 and new pro line.
I personally think that my has a bit too much bass, but otherwise they are great
Yeah, that's understandable, but probably 90% (or more) of my electronics are made in China, so what do you do, eh?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, that's understandable, but probably 90% (or more) of my electronics are made in China, so what do you do, eh?
Well, yea... but we are talking about top end audio here, not low-fi receiver. $400 headphones made in China... doesn't sit right with me. Sorry.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Well, yea... but we are talking about top end audio here, not low-fi receiver. $400 headphones made in China... doesn't sit right with me. Sorry.
Hey, no apology necessary. I'm with you on this. I'd much prefer to see "made in Austria" on the side, but that's not something we have control over.

S

swspiers

Audioholic
Wow. Then the $899 Hifiman HE-560 would make it hard to stand. Of all of the top-tier headphones, they may be the best at price-to performance.

Also, Oppo estimates that the final MSRP for the PM-3 closed-back planar will be $399. That is a compelling price, as long as the sonics are there. Also made in China, BTW.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow. Then the $899 Hifiman HE-560 would make it hard to stand. Of all of the top-tier headphones, they may be the best at price-to performance.

Also, Oppo estimates that the final MSRP for the PM-3 closed-back planar will be $399. That is a compelling price, as long as the sonics are there. Also made in China, BTW.
Japanese made Fostex t50rp planars costed me $75 on sale few years ago. Just saying.
Expensive is not necessarily good, but in headphones audio is crucial, but not everything. Fit, built quality and reliability are few to mention

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I'd go for the AKG Qs all day, every day :D
You know, I'm really leaning that way right now. Sennheiser HD600/650 would cost about twice as much, which is more than I'm willing to pay. I can't find any local B&M Beyerdynamic retailers and I'd rather not purchase something online that I haven't heard. And, the Grados don't look very comfortable.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis