Headphones: Are You Ready for an Upgrade?

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Let’s be honest: if your headphones came with your player, you need an upgrade. But what if you have some newer, fancier headphones? This article discusses the various types of headphones and appropriate applications of each. Do you still need to upgrade? We help you out with a handy chart to fill out and a lot of information about what to consider when you are shopping.

Discuss "Headphones: Are You Ready for an Upgrade?" here. Read the article.

M

mychaelp

Enthusiast
Good article, and one that is missing from most sites like this one, thank you. What would you suggest in the $30 on-sale range? My wife needs a new pair for workouts. In-ear style, but maybe the type with the loop that goes around the ear. Dance music.

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Didn't reall know if it was about headphones or earphones. :confused:

S

Stupidm0nkey

Audiophyte
@mychaelp Had this been a year or two ago, I would've suggested the following:
Panisonic RP-HJE120-K @~$25 for the inline mic version
I bought a pair of these about a year ago, coil them in my pocket on a daily basis, and spent about 6 months sweating all over them. However, they've yet to start failing, and have provided a decent balance of audible highs and lows we all seek from our audio reproduction devices.

Unfortunately, according to this guide, their current $10 price point direct from the manufacturer is considered sub-par. Although it could be argued that with the quality I've experienced with these, you're likely to find something better in Panisonic's current in-ear lineup for the money you're looking to spend. As for what though, I have no other anecdotal reference to suggest from.

Also worth noting with my suggestion: Buying directly from Panisonic is a little strange, and can be a bit unsettling for some as they required me to send them a scan of my ID to confirm that I was in fact myself.

D

Dorita Franklyn

Enthusiast
I definitely will be going to find some of those as well. The earbuds rarely fit my small ears so having the loop that goes around the ear is a MUST-HAVE for me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis