Headphone Recommendations Anyone?

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a set of headphones for late-night audio. I can't stand to run my system quietly just because it's after midnight ;)

Any recommendations on where to start looking? I know NOTHING about headphones other than I detest ear buds and I'd like to keep it under $300 or so if possible. I need something that can be the jack of all trades. Explosions, music, dialogue, etc etc.

Thanks in advance for any help!

P

pvsat

Enthusiast
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a set of headphones for late-night audio. I can't stand to run my system quietly just because it's after midnight

Any recommendations on where to start looking? I know NOTHING about headphones other than I detest ear buds and I'd like to keep it under $300 or so if possible. I need something that can be the jack of all trades. Explosions, music, dialogue, etc etc.

You will most likely get some of the audiophile rated stuff for 300$. I use an audio technica M50 studio monitor headphone and let me tell it is fantastic for music absolutely flat and rated down to 15hz!...so i would personally recommend the Audio Technica ATH-A700 which rated down to a mind boggling 5hz...so stuff around 20hz will be heard and felt in ur body and the thing is this can be got for around 120$. Sennheiser HD595, Skullcandy SK Pro DJ Headphones were also amazing and the list just goes on.... you can read reviews on most headphones at http://www.headphone.com/.have fun finding the right one

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I love my Sennheiser HD 600s-great for my audio system (DVD, DVD-A, SACD, CD, vinyl) as well as my computer (iTunes, games, etc), and they can be found for less than $300.

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Decisions Decisions!

Well, I did my homework and definitely have it narrowed to Sein and Grado based on reviews, reputation, design philosophy, etc etc. I've completed the Grado research including prices and at first I was leaning toward the 125i. But the difference between it and the RS-1 appears to be $400 based on online pricing (no actual quotes from vendors). That would take me past my budget but $400 to go from "good" to "the best" doesn't seem like a horrible investment.

Any thoughts on the RS-1 and RS-2 vs. the Sein line? Sein's website seems to consist of multiple screens saying "This one is good as well."

Thanks!

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Hey all,

I'm looking to get a set of headphones for late-night audio. I can't stand to run my system quietly just because it's after midnight ;)

I have the Grado 225 - highly recommended. For 300$ you can get better Grado than this.
Check out: http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/

These headphones are simple and the drivers are high quality.
Other brands I recommend are Sennheiser and AKG but they are not the same quality (not as solid built) - personal opinion here.

J

jamie2112

Banned
You know you can get a $1000 pair of headphones and they still won't reproduce like a pair of Sony MDR-7506.These are $100 and I have used them on a few platinum recordings and countless studio sessions and live mixing.Its almost like you are wanting to pay more for a lesser product IMO.I have listened to $10,000 headphones and most all the Grado's.To me a reference listener I would not even waste my money on anything but the 7506's.I would really try to listen to a set if you could as I am sure you will enjoy them.To me the Grado's and the Sennhisers sound exagerated to me in the mid and the low end from 1k to 400hz is really "tubby"sounding to my ears,but I am a very picky listener and want the pure direct signal......hope this helps
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/frr.pl?raccs&1072737177&read&3&4

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
If your main priority is music listening the Alessandro series of headphones are superb! Alessandro is an extension of Grado labs.

The Alessandro Music series 2 is an outstanding sounding headphone for all types of music and they are very easy to power/efficient. Any source such as receiver, MP3 player and computer will have no issues with high volume playback if that is what you like. These headphones do not need any fancy/expensive amplification either.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Thanks for all the feedback. I'll have to see if I can find a pair of Sony's to listen to. I'm not against paying for a cheaper product if I can't tell the difference or it sounds better to me.

In the end - I need a jack of all trades headphone. I intend to do LP music listening as a primary function but it will have DVD and Video Games as a close second off my other receiver so ... Something tuned in for a particular function may not be a good fit.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I own two pairs of headphones and I use them for different things. I have a set of AKG k240s that are very flat and are great for recording and anything that requires accuracy. However, perfectly flat isn't always the best for everything. Many find it fatiguing after a period of time.

My other headphones are the Sennheiser PC-350s. They are a headset with a mic and use the same drivers as the HD-595's and it sounds like you have a subwoofer in your head when playing games. They also have a very nice sound for music. I wouldn't call them "accurate" but they are very pleasing to for casual listening and closed design blocks out noise much better than the open AKGs.

Definitely listen to multiple pairs of phones before you buy because it's YOU that will have to live with them. ;)

Last edited:
B

bombarde32

Audioholic
Definitely listen to multiple pairs of phones before you buy because it's YOU that will have to live with them. ;)
Absolutely! I think a lot of folks forget that specs don't matter. They may guide you to a certain set of products but in the end ... listening is a personal preference. And the dumbest thing IMHO is to drop a ton of cash if you can't hear the difference just for a name or because it was the "best of the line."

That being said ... there are those of us (not me :rolleyes:) that have the cash to burn and I suppose I can't fault them for bankrolling expensive toys for the heck of it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis