Headphone Recommendation For Live Performance

S

Suntower

Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm a recording musician. I've never used headphones outside of a studio environment. I need a different kind of cans than I'm used to.

I'm looking for a set of headphones or two that I can take with me for recording and live performances... sort of like DJing but these are jazz volume clubs. They need to -OK-, be portable, have good isolation (ie. the sound doesn't leak out into the club and vice versa) and not so expensive that I'll cry if they get smushed.

What I do is use them to cue up sounds and programs on a computer as I play keyboards... And sometimes I'll record other low volume groups with stereo mics and I want them to sound decent so I can check levels.

I have no idea where to begin. I see kids on AKG 518's and JVC 700's but I have no idea if that's what I need---they seem good in the sense that they have good isolation and are cheap. I have no idea on the sound quality.

Suggestions?

TIA,

---JC

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I use ATH-M50s and I think they're great at isolating, and the sound is very distinct and detailed.

I also suspect their voicing mimics many club-speaker setups, so they should translate well.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Here is a read on a guy that was on a quest for his favorite live monitoring headphone. To sum it up he liked the Denons, Ultrasone and as a budget option the Shure 840. He also recommended the AKG 271 MKII for use in studio for lower volume monitoring. The AT M50 would be another good option to look at as well (he didn't test those but they are good cans).

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/361-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-3.html

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/363-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-4.html

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/364-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-5.html

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/365-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-6.html

http://www.ratsound.com/cblog/archives/369-The-Mighty-Headphone-Quest-Part-7.html

S

Suntower

Enthusiast
Thanks to you both. Possibly totally out in left field:

What I don't get is that you search around 'the net' and you find, for example, the ATH-M50s for $153 down to $41.

And on Amazon, the AKG 518s are $136 for the -green- ones and $39 for the -red- ones. Same can.

It's kinda freakin' me out. Why the huge price variation? Is this like sneakers where they're all much the same structurally, but are priced for 'cool' factor?

---JC

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks to you both. Possibly totally out in left field:

What I don't get is that you search around 'the net' and you find, for example, the ATH-M50s for $153 down to $41.

And on Amazon, the AKG 518s are $136 for the -green- ones and $39 for the -red- ones. Same can.

It's kinda freakin' me out. Why the huge price variation? Is this like sneakers where they're all much the same structurally, but are priced for 'cool' factor?

---JC
There are a lot of counterfeits of headphones especially when they become popular. If you see price differences like that you can count on it being fake. I know there are a ton of fake Sony 7506/v6 going around. I would definitely be careful with the M50 because of their popularity.

If you buy headphones online just make sure they are an authorized seller of that manufacturer brand. Otherwise avoid purchasing from them.

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
nova musik

Nova musik is a dealer of the products they well and they have a really good selection of Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic headphones. I bought by my Beyer DT 880s from them; I wouldn't be surprised if they'd deal on the price a bit too. I really, really like my Beyers but I'm thinking of picking up closed cans like the Audio Technica ATH M50s.

S

Suntower

Enthusiast
I can unconditionally recommend BeyerDynamics. The 770 and 880 are staples of my studio.

But totally inappropriate for this application.

I just tried a pair of ATH-M50s and they are exactly what I need. Unfortunately, they're $150... too much to risk at the dives I play at. Any recommendations for something like that under $100?

THANKS!

---JC

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I can unconditionally recommend BeyerDynamics. The 770 and 880 are staples of my studio.

But totally inappropriate for this application.

I just tried a pair of ATH-M50s and they are exactly what I need. Unfortunately, they're $150... too much to risk at the dives I play at. Any recommendations for something like that under $100?

THANKS!

---JC
Yes definitely. Try the Shure SRH 440.

S

Suntower

Enthusiast
Thanks.

I ended up going into Guitar Center and having a knipschen at how crappy they treat people. Perhaps because of my age...or to stop my griping, the manager gave me the ATH-M50S for $99 out the door. :)

They're perfect for my needs. The only thing I wish they did differently? I see that some cans now have interchangeable -cables-... which is handy.

Thanks for the replies.

---JC

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks.

I ended up going into Guitar Center and having a knipschen at how crappy they treat people. Perhaps because of my age...or to stop my griping, the manager gave me the ATH-M50S for $99 out the door. :)

They're perfect for my needs. The only thing I wish they did differently? I see that some cans now have interchangeable -cables-... which is handy.

Thanks for the replies.

---JC
On the Shure 440 you can interchange cables as well as 2 extra pad options (extra $$$). I wish they came with a straight cable rather than the coiled (440). $99 for the M50's at guitar center is an excellent price. Enjoy.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis