Headphone recomendations

M

motas

Audiophyte
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on headphones. I am off to uni next year and am forced to take the train every day (I hate trains) so would like a good set of active noise cancelling headphones. I will be listening off my Nokia Lumina 920 for the near future and listen to metal with a small amount of hip hop as well. I would prefer Bluetooth or other wireless but if the sound quality is poor I am happy with a chord as well. I don't have a specific budget I am willing to spend what I need to on a quality product that will last.
Thanks very much for any help.

M

motas

Audiophyte
Thanks for the replies. Sorry I thought being new id post into the beginners section. I was looking at spending more than that, around $400 or so but being a beginner I don't really know what that gets me. I was looking at the denon globe traveller ones but not sure if I like having it sit on ears instead of around. That's the only brand ideally know of though.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
I find on-ears tiring after an hour or so of listening. I have a set of Denon over-the-ear noise canceling that I use for airplane travel and like. B&W just came out with an over-the-ear model (P7). I haven't listened to them yet but their on-ear phones sound pretty good (neither of those are Bluetooth). I find that headphone recommendations are very personal. You will find some people who absolutely hate any headphones designed by speaker companies while others are more open minded. I love the open-back Grado 'phones for general listening, but those wouldn't be suitable for a crowded train. For the budget you're talking, you should pretty much have any option you want open to you. Find a good local store and go listen. Guitar Center has a wide selection of cans, although I'm not sure about Bluetooth.

M

motas

Audiophyte
Bluetooth isn't a huge deal to me I would just prefer it. The only place local to me is Harvey norman which basically have all the beats range and two or three sennheisers which doesn't give much variety really.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
If you have a best buy with a magnolia, they usually have the B&W line along with a few others

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
While I loathe to admit it, the Bose models continue to be very well reviewed for the NC headphones.

Personally, I got some really inexpensive in-ear headphones from Monoprice and was flat out shocked at how comfortable they were for extended listening. They were more noise isolation than cancelling, but the price was ridiculous (low) for my not-so-often usage.
Hi-Fi Premium Noise Isolating Earphones - Black & Red - Monoprice.com

They also have well reviewed NC headphones: Noise Cancelling Headphone w/ Active Noise Reduction Technology - Monoprice.com

I suppose, at the end of the day, it depends on how much quality you are looking for. I always equate really good headphones as something that should be purchased for listening to high quality music in a quiet space. If you are talking about listening to your MP3 collection while in a bus, or on the subway, then the extra quality achieved will be noise cancelled no matter how much you spend. :D

I

Irishman

Audioholic
Hi. I'm looking for some advice on headphones. I am off to uni next year and am forced to take the train every day (I hate trains) so would like a good set of active noise cancelling headphones. I will be listening off my Nokia Lumina 920 for the near future and listen to metal with a small amount of hip hop as well. I would prefer Bluetooth or other wireless but if the sound quality is poor I am happy with a chord as well. I don't have a specific budget I am willing to spend what I need to on a quality product that will last.
Thanks very much for any help.
The Bose QC15's are solid performers for you, both in terms of sound quality and noise canceling. However, it's an active canceling. This means it takes batteries to run the noise cancellation. When dead, the phones stop working AT ALL.

That's the only shortcoming.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis