Headphone connection

K

Kirkland

Audiophyte
Hi All,
I am a newb here I have a problem which I have collected information on but yet to deduce what is the root cause.

I have a TRS 3.5mm headphone jack:
-jack is clean
-cable is good
-soldered connection to head
phone speakers are good

problem:
if connected 3/4 of way in , sound comes out beautifully on both channel
and at the proper amplitude, i.e. I can hear it.
but once connected all the way in , sounds still comes out from both channel but are barely audible.

has anyone experience this issue before
or willing to help me figure out what causes this.

let me know if you need more info.

thanks a bunch

William

G

gvthisbookahome

Audioholic Intern
Try connecting it to a different source, i.e., computer sound card, CD, DVD, receiver, and so on. If the problem continues even though you change the source, then replace the cable. I'm not sure which headphones you own. For instance, the cables on the Sennheiser HD audiophile series are replaceable. Even some of Sennheiser's DJ headphone have replaceable cables. Check the manufacturer's website or ask us.

In my case, it was the jack.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi All,
I am a newb here I have a problem which I have collected information on but yet to deduce what is the root cause.

I have a TRS 3.5mm headphone jack:
-jack is clean
-cable is good
-soldered connection to head
phone speakers are good

problem:
if connected 3/4 of way in , sound comes out beautifully on both channel
and at the proper amplitude, i.e. I can hear it.
but once connected all the way in , sounds still comes out from both channel but are barely audible.

has anyone experience this issue before
or willing to help me figure out what causes this.

let me know if you need more info.

thanks a bunch

William
The male part on headphones is a plug, not a jack. A jack is the female part the plug goes into. If you connected the jack to the speaker wires without adding resistance, you'll A) go deaf, in a hurry and B) blow up the headphones. Usually, 100 Ohms is added to each positive lead.

The Tip= Left channel +, Ring = Right channel + and Sleeve = ground. If you're using a tube amp, you'll need a summing network for the ground because tube amps use a separate negative for each channel, unlike most solid state amps, where it's common to both channels (you can use either and it won't matter).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis