HDTV Apps, audio through receiver

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my hdtv to a bigger one, and being that it will have apps I was wondering how I can get the sound from the tv to the receiver and have it play through my speakers. The tv is the panasonic P60st50 and my receiver is a pioneer vsx-21txh. Would I be able to run an optical cable from the output of the tv to an input on the receiver? Does anyone else do this a different way?

Thanks

J

jcl

Senior Audioholic
Here's a link to you manual for your avr if you need it - http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/VSX-21TXH_OperatingInstructions0512.pdf.

Reading it I think you are correct.

Page 24 says -
The sound of the TV cannot be heard over the receiver
if the TV is connected using an HDMI cable.
If you want to listen to the sound of the TV over the
receiver, connect the receiver and TV with audio
cables. When making digital connections with a
coaxial cable at this time, the digital input setting
must be made (see The Input Setup menu on
page 43).

And there is a helpful picture that shows the connections along with the flow of signal along the connections.

Here's the quick setup guide for the tv - http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP50ST50.PDF
The top of page 13 shows digital optical out going from tv to in on the stereo system.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
Wow thanks so much! From the manual, it looks like I can set up a specific input to have it switch to the optical audio, which is perfect because I have a harmony remote so it should be seemless once I edit the input as needed. I should be good; thanks again.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Worth mentioning that your TV and the receiver supports Audio Return Channel (ARC), so you may potentially use only a HDMI cable and pull the audio from the TV directly to the receiver over the ARC connection with HDMI.

T

Tungsten06GT

Audioholic
Worth mentioning that your TV and the receiver supports Audio Return Channel (ARC), so you may potentially use only a HDMI cable and pull the audio from the TV directly to the receiver over the ARC connection with HDMI.
Interesting; I do remember reading about that.. That would be extreeemly nice if I could do that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis