Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
I have been looking at the Toshiba 44NHM84, absolutly fabulous picture,if you can find this take a look at it. It will blow you away. Anyway it doesn't have HDMI but it does have DVI would I be making a mistake buying without HDMI. I think this TV would be a good one for the Audioholics to review. It's a DLP. :cool:

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
As far as I know DVI and HDMI are the same, but HDMI carries both sound and VIDEO. If you are just sending the video signal to the TV and sound to reciever then go for it.

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
HDMI and DVI carry the same digital video signal. HDMI also carries digital audio in the same cable. With DVI you need an additional cable (digital coxial or optical) for the digital audio. Since few (high high end) receivers offer HDMI switching, this is not much of handicap. Go for it.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
While DVI and HDMI basically carry the same video signal and you can use adaptors to go in either direction at this point in time I would only buy a TV/monitor that has HDMI. It is the new standard going forward and has already left DVI in the dust. DVI was originally a computer interface while HDMI was specifically designed for consumer electronics.

I have a 4+ year old HDTV and it only has component inputs. A year later sets starting coming with DVI. Now three years after that most have HDMI. This stuff changes fast and for me it makes sense to buy the newest technology that's available and right now that's HDMI. :) I'm not saying you should be chasing the latest technology but many if not most sets available in their current model year have HDMI.

B

Bill Wood

Audiophyte
Zep

Keep in mind that a DVI input will NOT decode copy protected content. HDMI is needed to do that. While most content is not copy protected, this will change in the future and a display without HDMI will not allow you to view HD material that is copy protected.

Bill

Vancouver

Vancouver

Full Audioholic
Bill Wood as I understand it that is not totally true and there is a way around that. An external scaler like the DVDO HD+ offers a solution to that exact issue.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
Vancouver said:
Bill Wood as I understand it that is not totally true and there is a way around that. An external scaler like the DVDO HD+ offers a solution to that exact issue.
But what's the point when you can buy a TV with HDMI. :confused: I forgot to mention in my earlier post that if Zepaholic is asking this question he really already answered it. But a TV with HDMI and you will never look back.

Z

zepaholic

Audioholic
Duffinator said:
But what's the point when you can buy a TV with HDMI. :confused: I forgot to mention in my earlier post that if Zepaholic is asking this question he really already answered it. But a TV with HDMI and you will never look back.
:cool: Hey, thanks for all your input. I decided to go with a Toshiba 52HMX94 it is a DLP with two HDMI inputs and a built in tuner. I can get two HD pictures on the split screen with my DirecTV and a HD antenna.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis