HDMI with optical audio?

G

gdgates

Enthusiast
Not a newbie to HT, but just upgraded to my first HDMI set (Samsung E7000 60", for the record). Denon receiver pre-dates HDMI as well. Question is, can I use HDMI for video out from Blu-Ray/Directv box and optical audio for sound? Or does running the HDMI cable out of components lock me into HDMI audio?

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
You should be fine. I feed HDMI from my little Sony BDP-S390 to my Toshiba TV and coaxial digtal to my ancient steam fired Denon receiver. I can't see optical not working.

But, if it doesn't work, check your sources manual.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I've run into bluray's without a 5.1 dolby track so just keep your eye out. Most of them will have it. You might just use DVDs if it's a real problem.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I've run into bluray's without a 5.1 dolby track so just keep your eye out. Most of them will have it.
Come to think of it, I may have too, but then the player/receiver automatically shifted to the DTS soundtrack. That, to me, is a win/win situation.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It depends on the player. Some will not send the audio via both or may just need to be configured for which one to send the audio out through. So far all of mine have been able to use HDMI for video and optical for audio. I know this because my previous receiver did not have HDMI either.

ARES24

ARES24

Full Audioholic
New TV's are quite smart these days. I set up a new samsung tv sat > hdmi > tv > optical > soundbar and the sound gets transferred to the soundbar with no problems. I know it is specific set up that will never be used for anything else. If you will be using the tv all the time you are using the sound you should be fine if your screen does the same work.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis