U

upgradeitis

Junior Audioholic
Ok, I'm new to this hobby and don't understand what HDMI switching is. I am in the process of purchasing a HDTV with 2 HDMI connections and a DVD player with an HDMI connection. Also, have a high def. satellite receiver. Of course I also will be purchasing a home theater system. So do I need an A/V receiver with HDMI switching? Please help me to understand what this does. If I get a receiver without HDMI, what are the disadvantages? Sorry for my ignorance but any knowledge about this would be appreciated.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
A receiver with HDMI switching would allow you to connect all of your HDMI components to the receiver and then use one HDMI cable to the TV. The 'switching' is the fact that the receiver sends only the signal it is receiving from whatever component is connected and since there is only cable to the TV, you never need to change the input on the TV. In other words, if you connect the dvd player to the receiver via HDMI and also the sat receiver via HDMI, when you press the DVD input, the receiver will be sending only the signal it is receiving from the dvd player. You can then switch to the sat receiver simply by pressing the Sat input on the receiver. Audio follows Video, so the audio will switch too. [The catch is that many receivers won't send the audio over the hdmi cable anyway and you will still need a separate digital audio cable to the receiver - but it will automatically switch the audio so that you hear the audio that matches the video].

If the receiver does not have HDMI switching you could connect both components directly to the TV but you have to change the TV input to whatever input is connected to the dvd player to view the dvd and change it again to the input for sat when you want to watch sat tv. Additionally, you have to change the receiver input to get the audio. So if the dvd player is connected via HDMI to tv input 1 and the audio from the dvd player is connected to the receiver, then you have to change the receiver input to dvd and also change the tv input to input 1 - not as convenient as letting the receiver do all of the switching but you can of course automate the procedure using macros on a universal remote control.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I vote for the Onkyo. I've always owned Onkyo and have never had one single problem with any of them in 15 years (of course your mileage may vary). :)

U

upgradeitis

Junior Audioholic
MDS, Yes the Onkyo is the one I'm leaning towards. Right now it's on sale for $399. HDMI switching, xm radio ready, ipod ready. That's a heck of a pkg. for that low price. I've had a Marantz before and loved the musical sound but I did have a couple of problems. I had an SR5300 and in stereo mode it played fine but whenever I switched to DTS or Dolby Digital it started making this awful static noise come through my speakers. I took it back and exchanged it for another one and the same problem occured. Got another one and the third one finally worked. I think those units must have had a faulty processing chip or something. So needless to say I've been kind of skeptical about going back since that time. Of course the sound when working is what makes me consider them again. But reliability is very important. How is Onkyo with music? That's a big factor for me. And I mean 2 channel, not really into SACD or DVD Audio.

J

JAD2

I listen with my mouth open...
upgradeitis said:
MDS, Thanks for your input! This definitely makes the picture a lot more clear to me. It seems as if it is definitely worth getting a receiver with HDMI shipping. I'm considering these 2:

http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?sHist=12-125,6-41&menu=true&id=31563

http://us.marantz.com/Products/1867.asp
No, its still not worth paying the extra to get HDMI switching in the receiver.
You have 2 HDMI ports on the TV with 2 HDMI sources, if you had 3 then the receiver might be worth it. Having to push a few buttons and paying the extra cost to have the switching in the receiver when for that extra money you could get a better receiver without it??? But thats your decision!!

U

upgradeitis

Junior Audioholic
JAD2, I thought those 2 receivers in the links in my previous post were good choices. Do you have another suggestion? I don't think the cost is that much more than a standard receiver without HDMI. The Onkyo is $399 and the Marantz is $549.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My first choice in the under $500 price point is the Pioneer VSX-1016 which will set you back a tad under $400 delivered if you shop well. If you have a bit more money then look at the Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi for around $900.

U

upgradeitis

Junior Audioholic
majorloser,thanks for the info! i didn't know that was possible

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis