hdmi switching vs. pass through

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
By looking at these specs, does anyone think I'll have any problems with connections?
As long as you aren't planning on listening to any audio from the TV itself (e.g. from over-the-air broadcasts), the connections that you mentioned are fine.

R

rivrbyte

Junior Audioholic
Thanks and Happy Easter Adam,
Wellllllllllll, lets say I may want to listen to over the air TV broadcasts (i know...heaven forbid) What would I need then? I'd rather not have any more cables other than the HDMI coming out from TV to the receiver.

Again, Fry's ( I don't believe everything the salesman tells me) With this new AVR Yamaha 665, I could do both, just with the one HDMI..was he joking?

I just think having the AVR ion all the time might get a little too much.
Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks and Happy Easter Adam,
Wellllllllllll, lets say I may want to listen to over the air TV broadcasts (i know...heaven forbid) What would I need then? I'd rather not have any more cables other than the HDMI coming out from TV to the receiver.

Again, Fry's ( I don't believe everything the salesman tells me) With this new AVR Yamaha 665, I could do both, just with the one HDMI..was he joking?

I just think having the AVR ion all the time might get a little too much.
Thanks!
The TV can not send an HDMI signal back to your receiver. That is illegal. If you want one HDMI connection, you have to run all outboard units to the receiver and output the receiver via HDMI to the TV. You have no discretion on the matter.

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
This has been a very informative thread. It also prompted a question in my mind regarding HDMI and video, but particularly the respective roles of video processors in Blu Ray players and AVRs.

My Blu Ray player OPPO BDP-83 runs directly to my projector. It bypasses my Rotel RSP-1066 pre/pro (no HDMI in the Rotel). Given that the OPPO obviously has a video processor and that most AVRs and Pre/Pros have video processors, what typically happens when you run the video from the player through the AVR/pre pro and then to the projector? Can the newer AVR/Pre-Pros be made to pass the signal or is there always some sort of treatment of the video signal before the signal is passed to the display? Is it possible that certain video processor combos are better than others?

B

billmcdougal

Audiophyte
I'm sorry to bump such an old post, but I'm in the market for a system and finding this thread on google has helped me a lot. I am still confused though, because I cannot seem to find any indication on products' pages whether they are pass through or repeating or what. I'd like to be able to hook my devices up to a receiver through HDMI without needing to use optical cables and such, just sending the video on to the tv and decoding the audio from the HDMI input.

Could someone please let me know whether I am able to do that with this system:

SONY HTSS360-Blu-ray-Matching-Component

(My post count is not large enough to post links, but it is on Amazon. Sorry!)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I'm sorry to bump such an old post, but I'm in the market for a system and finding this thread on google has helped me a lot. I am still confused though, because I cannot seem to find any indication on products' pages whether they are pass through or repeating or what. I'd like to be able to hook my devices up to a receiver through HDMI without needing to use optical cables and such, just sending the video on to the tv and decoding the audio from the HDMI input.

Could someone please let me know whether I am able to do that with this system:

SONY HTSS360-Blu-ray-Matching-Component

(My post count is not large enough to post links, but it is on Amazon. Sorry!)
Hi, and Welcome to Audioholics. :)

If your TV has HDMI inputs, YES, you can use this Sony HTS S360 to do exactly what you want to do. You simply connect the HDMI cable from this system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI input.

If your devices (PS3 for example) has HDMI output, you simply connect that cable to the HDMI input of that Sony HTS S360 system.

=> Here: @ http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1006157

* But just to be in the safe side, ask a Sony dealer or salesman, exactly what you need, to use this system properly with your own devices, and what you want to use, for your connections. He will tell you exactly what you need to know, and he'll confirm already what I just told you. Ask him all the questions you want, he's there to help you, that's his job to answer your Sony related questions; just in case you need a Sony Bravia TV.

~ Are you Canadian?

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
B

billmcdougal

Audiophyte
Hi, and Welcome to Audioholics. :)

If your TV has HDMI inputs, YES, you can use this Sony HTS S360 to do exactly what you want to do. You simply connect the HDMI cable from this system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI input.

If your devices (PS3 for example) has HDMI output, you simply connect that cable to the HDMI input of that Sony HTS S360 system.

=> Here: @ REMOVED

* But just to be in the safe side, ask a Sony dealer or salesman, exactly what you need, to use this system properly with your own devices, and what you want to use, for your connections. He will tell you exactly what you need to know, and he'll confirm already what I just told you. Ask him all the questions you want, he's there to help you, that's his job to answer your Sony related questions; just in case you need a Sony Bravia TV.

~ Are you Canadian?

Cheers,
Bob
Oh, wow, so that thing can process audio from HDMI? Excellent; I was under the impression that only moderately expensive receivers do and that their pages all bragged about being able to do so. Though I see that this page you linked me to certainly has more information about it than the product pages I was looking at on Amazon and such! Thank you!

I do know that it doesn't have True HD or any of those nice new decoders, though. Would that be a huge problem if I were to get a Blu-Ray player, or would I just be restricted to Dolby Digital standards?

Thanks a lot for your help! And no, I am not Canadian; I'm in Florida.

B

billmcdougal

Audiophyte
I may have just increased my budget, assuming this setup would be as amazingly better as the sony HT as I'm under the impression:

Pioneer VSX-819H-K 5-Channel A/V Receiver (Black)
Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Package

Would run about $400 and give me audio through HDMI, good sound, and True HD. Any thougts would be appreciated. Thanks, gurus.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
I may have just increased my budget, assuming this setup would be as amazingly better as the sony HT as I'm under the impression:

Pioneer VSX-819H-K 5-Channel A/V Receiver (Black)
Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker Package

Would run about $400 and give me audio through HDMI, good sound, and True HD. Any thougts would be appreciated. Thanks, gurus.
I'll say go for that one instead of Sony. I know I would. :)

* You seem to be all set now, just get the money out of the bank and in towards your new toys, with all the latest high resolution audio codecs. It will blow you away, that is guarantee. :)
And don't forget to get two or three Blu-ray movies with it, like Transformers, 300, Ironman...

Cheers,
Bob

A

audiofile12

Audiophyte
hdmi vs dvi

I have an older (P50XHA30WS) Fujitsu plasma monitor (no sound) with a DVI input. I want to upgrade my 5.1 receiver to a HDMI unit. I will connect my DishDVR, Blu-ray & Xbox to the receiver (via HDMI), then HDMI video out to the TV using a converter cable. I'm finding some HDMI receivers are not compatible with a DVI port (which is HDCP complaint). Can anyone suggest a HDMI receiver that will display video to a DVI port? BTW, my Blu-ray is working ok using HDMI out with a converter cable.

G

gms8994

Enthusiast
After reading this thread, it is apparent to me that what I'm looking for is not HDMI switching, but HDMI repeating. Can anyone tell me, first of all, what I should be looking for on a website/box that will tell me it has HDMI repeating (or is it as simple as "HDMI repeating" on the box) ?

Also, any suggestions for low - mid-priced receivers that have this support would be great.

Thanks

K

kneedragger37

Audiophyte
The TV can not send an HDMI signal back to your receiver. That is illegal. If you want one HDMI connection, you have to run all outboard units to the receiver and output the receiver via HDMI to the TV. You have no discretion on the matter.
This thread has become a bit of a behemoth so forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but I have a similar problem to rivrbyte.

All I'm looking to do is get 5 discrete analog channels to my 5-channel amp with no fanfare, and let my display do any necessary scaling.

TLS Guy, are you saying DRM prevents a device from simply stripping out the encoded DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio from an HDMI signal, decoding and outputting it as 5.1 or 7.1 analog, and simply passing the video untouched to the display device? The video would have to go through the "repeater architecture," which from what I've read elsewhere, can potentially degrade the video?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This thread has become a bit of a behemoth so forgive me if this has been asked and answered, but I have a similar problem to rivrbyte.

All I'm looking to do is get 5 discrete analog channels to my 5-channel amp with no fanfare, and let my display do any necessary scaling.

TLS Guy, are you saying DRM prevents a device from simply stripping out the encoded DTS-HD MA or Dolby TrueHD audio from an HDMI signal, decoding and outputting it as 5.1 or 7.1 analog, and simply passing the video untouched to the display device? The video would have to go through the "repeater architecture," which from what I've read elsewhere, can potentially degrade the video?
I need to know what you are trying to do. If you want to get five channels to an amp, you need the outputs from the pre outs of a receiver or the output of a pre/pro.

I have a suspicion you are confusing receiver with amp though, but I may be wrong about that.

An HDMI signal can no longer be down converted to analog HD because of DRM.

So you either connect an HDMI to a TV directly and get the audio out from the TV, but it will not output the latest loss less codecs.

Or you need to connect your devices via HDMI to a receiver or pre/pro and connect it via HDMI to your TV.

You will be able to hear the loss less codecs if the receiver or pre/pro can decode Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD.

Your only other option is to use a player with multichannel analog outs, and let the player do speaker management and bass management.

Then you connect the multi outs to the multi analog ins of the receiver or pre/pro. You could connect the HDMI out of the player to a receiver, pre/pro or directly to the TV.

By far the easiest and best hook up is HDMI 1.3 from all peripherals, to receiver or pre/pro and one HDMI out to the TV. That should give the best quality also. I have seen no data that repeater architecture reduces video quality. I see no evidence of that on my rig, but I guess it might well be true of lower priced units.

There are no other legal options that I'm aware of.

I hope this helps.

K

kneedragger37

Audiophyte
I need to know what you are trying to do. If you want to get five channels to an amp, you need the outputs from the pre outs of a receiver or the output of a pre/pro.

I have a suspicion you are confusing receiver with amp though, but I may be wrong about that.
Nope -- I'm getting an Emo UPA-5 and my Blu-Ray doesn't have analog outs -- I need to get the digital audio from my BD player (and other devices) decoded and output to the 5 RCA inputs on the UPA-5, and the video signal to get to the display. Passing through an AVR or Pre/Pro, from what I understand, can take out "whiter-than-white" and "blacker-than-black" signals from the video, depending on the video processor (and I'm not planning on springing for the price of a pre/pro with a Reon or Realta chip).

An HDMI signal can no longer be down converted to analog HD because of DRM.

So you either connect an HDMI to a TV directly and get the audio out from the TV, but it will not output the latest loss less codecs.
On my TV (Mits WD-73835), the digital output will be strictly 2-channel PCM, at least from what I read on the Mits owners thread at AVSForums.

Or you need to connect your devices via HDMI to a receiver or pre/pro and connect it via HDMI to your TV.

You will be able to hear the loss less codecs if the receiver or pre/pro can decode Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD.
But the video processors of most budget to mid-range AVR's will probably degrade the video quality...

Your only other option is to use a player with multichannel analog outs, and let the player do speaker management and bass management.

Then you connect the multi outs to the multi analog ins of the receiver or pre/pro. You could connect the HDMI out of the player to a receiver, pre/pro or directly to the TV.

By far the easiest and best hook up is HDMI 1.3 from all peripherals, to receiver or pre/pro and one HDMI out to the TV. That should give the best quality also. I have seen no data that repeater architecture reduces video quality. I see no evidence of that on my rig, but I guess it might well be true of lower priced units.
Again, it's only been from what I've read in magazines and on forums. The Faroudja DCDi chip and proprietary chips used in most of the lower-priced AVRs are said to clip blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white video when "passing through" the HDMI's 1080p video signal. Not to mention that the video processor in the Mits does a way better job of upconverting than those chips do.

Ideally I'd like to use a Gefen 6-way HDMI switch and a stand-alone decoder of some sort to break out the decoded audio to the UPA-5 while leaving the HDMI video TRULY untouched. Doesn't sound like such a beast is allowed by DRM to exist though....

There are no other legal options that I'm aware of.

I hope this helps.
Definitely. Thanks!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Nope -- I'm getting an Emo UPA-5 and my Blu-Ray doesn't have analog outs -- I need to get the digital audio from my BD player (and other devices) decoded and output to the 5 RCA inputs on the UPA-5, and the video signal to get to the display. Passing through an AVR or Pre/Pro, from what I understand, can take out "whiter-than-white" and "blacker-than-black" signals from the video, depending on the video processor (and I'm not planning on springing for the price of a pre/pro with a Reon or Realta chip).

On my TV (Mits WD-73835), the digital output will be strictly 2-channel PCM, at least from what I read on the Mits owners thread at AVSForums.

But the video processors of most budget to mid-range AVR's will probably degrade the video quality...

Again, it's only been from what I've read in magazines and on forums. The Faroudja DCDi chip and proprietary chips used in most of the lower-priced AVRs are said to clip blacker-than-black and whiter-than-white video when "passing through" the HDMI's 1080p video signal. Not to mention that the video processor in the Mits does a way better job of upconverting than those chips do.

Ideally I'd like to use a Gefen 6-way HDMI switch and a stand-alone decoder of some sort to break out the decoded audio to the UPA-5 while leaving the HDMI video TRULY untouched. Doesn't sound like such a beast is allowed by DRM to exist though....

Definitely. Thanks!
The trouble is you are missing a vital piece. You have bought a decent amp and now everything has to be commensurate. A POS in the chain will be a problem.

I really have a problem with you trying to use an amp without a pre amp of some kind. This really is essential for multichannel as you have speaker balance, delay and bass management issues. Trying to do that in the analog domain is feasible for some of those functions, but certainly not delay.

As I see it you have the choice of buying a POS or saving to get something decent. You can't have it both ways I don't think.

I highly recommend the Marantz AV 8003. I'm very pleased with it.

Even some aspects of Audyssey were useful.

The trouble is we frequently get posters who will the ends but not the means.

The fact is that superior performance comes with committing dollars, thought, research and effort.

Developing good DIY skills really helps keep cost down for those like you striving for excellence.

So my next piece of advice is to remind you that good things come to those that are patient.

G

Gazza

Audiophyte
Hey guys. Very helpful thread you have here. And am defiantly more knowledgeable for it. So thanks.

Just to make sure of a future purchase I need to ask a little question.

avalon.co.nz/default,1504.sm

This is what I'm after but I need to make sure that this model will transfer sound and video through an HDMI 1.3 cable from my PS3 to the Receiver.

Setup.
PS3 > HDMI cable > Receiver (input) > HDMI Cable (output) > HDTV.

Another question does the HDMI cable that connects the Receiver and TV need to be 1.3 also?

This will work, correct?

K

kneedragger37

Audiophyte
Hey guys. Very helpful thread you have here. And am defiantly more knowledgeable for it. So thanks.

Just to make sure of a future purchase I need to ask a little question.

avalon.co.nz/default,1504.sm

This is what I'm after but I need to make sure that this model will transfer sound and video through an HDMI 1.3 cable from my PS3 to the Receiver.

Setup.
PS3 > HDMI cable > Receiver (input) > HDMI Cable (output) > HDTV.

Another question does the HDMI cable that connects the Receiver and TV need to be 1.3 also?

This will work, correct?
If I'm reading what you're looking to do correctly, then yes.

The Onk 507 will take the audio signal from the HDMI from your PS3 and put it out to your speakers, and then repeat the HDMI signal to your HDTV.

If you want the choice of using your TV's speakers as well, you should be able to turn down the 507 and turn up the sound on your TV, as I believe the 507 repeats both audio and video to the HDTV (my Onk 606 does).

Hope this helps...

G

Gazza

Audiophyte
Hope this makes sence

If I'm reading what you're looking to do correctly, then yes.

The Onk 507 will take the audio signal from the HDMI from your PS3 and put it out to your speakers, and then repeat the HDMI signal to your HDTV.

If you want the choice of using your TV's speakers as well, you should be able to turn down the 507 and turn up the sound on your TV, as I believe the 507 repeats both audio and video to the HDTV (my Onk 606 does).

Hope this helps...
Thanks mate.

Just another quick question.
My sub's connection is simply naked wiring.
However to plug a sub into the AV receiver it needs a connection similar to your normal component cables.

So with this mind I'm only able to plug my speakers and sub into the DVD lifestyle system that I brought as a straight out of the box home theatre.

So is there a way I can have my sub connected to the DVD lifestyle system but the remaining speakers all hooked up to the AV receiver but have everything working simultaneously?

Or should I simply invest in a new sub and have everything hooked up to the AV receiver?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks mate.

Just another quick question.
My sub's connection is simply naked wiring.
However to plug a sub into the AV receiver it needs a connection similar to your normal component cables.

So with this mind I'm only able to plug my speakers and sub into the DVD lifestyle system that I brought as a straight out of the box home theatre.

So is there a way I can have my sub connected to the DVD lifestyle system but the remaining speakers all hooked up to the AV receiver but have everything working simultaneously?

Or should I simply invest in a new sub and have everything hooked up to the AV receiver?
You need a new powered sub,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis