HDMI Switching, 2 Zone - Receiver

J

Jemo86

Audiophyte
An appeal to those budget minded Video enthusiasts out there...Objective is to buy one AV Reciever that can house multiple HD sources (Tivo Series 3, HD-DVD, PS-3, etc.) via Multiple Component/Optical and/or HDMI inputs AND be able to switch sources to at least 2 separate Audio/Video zones using HDMI or Component video. The only solution I can find is the Denon - 5803 $6,000 MSRP monster which supports said configuration for 4 zones. I'm seeking something in the sub-$1,500 range for 2 zones. BTW, there are many that will do 2 or more zones, but only Zone 1 supports HDMI/Component quality video...zone 2 is either composite or s-video. Not interested in anything but 2 zones of HDMI or Component video. THANKS!

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Receiver options

The 5805 is the current Denon flagship so you might be able to get a better deal on a used 5803.

The Yamaha and Denon models in the $1500 range will provide a single HDMI video output and 2-3 audio zones. Zone 2 and 3, however, are stereo audio from analog source.

You might be able to create a two zone system with the following components:

1. Main receiver $1500
2. HDMI or Component video Splitter $200
3. Second receiver $500.
4. A/V cables from Zone 1 to Zone 2.

If the receiver can output HDMI and component video at the same time, you might not need the video splitter.

J

Jemo86

Audiophyte
Clarification

Thanks for the creative suggestion JcPanney...but I don't think an HDMI splitter will meet the requirement. I'm trying to establish a central location for all Sources (family room/Theater) with just a remote HD monitor and speakers in zone 2 (bedroom). The objective would be to have the ability to have the kids watching a DVD in the Family while at thes same time Mom and Dad are watching Lost on Tivo upstairs in HD, hence the Switching the requirement. Any other creative thoughts of kludging together a solution besides the Denon Monster? I could go there, I just am having a tough time spending that much on a receiver vs a brand new 50" plasma for my bedroom :D

J

Jemo86

Audiophyte
After further review, that Gefen 6x2 does mirroring which is the same source on both displays. Gefen has a 4x4 that they call a matrix which provides 4 displays viewing any source...that's probably what I'm seeking, but it runs $1,999 MRSP. Check it out at:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=3331

Then I still need to figure out how to get a decent AV receiver into the mix to provide my THX sound and audio distribution...anybody have any experience with this sort of configuration?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I understand the desire to have a central source for all of the components but simply renting an additional cable box for upstairs and buying a second mid-level receiver with HDMI would cut your costs by 2/3 and be a lot more flexible.

J

Jemo86

Audiophyte
Thanks AV RAT...I think you found what I was looking for in the Denon 4308ci.

J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
The 4308 is supposed to have mirrored outputs and not matrixed outputs. This is not going to fit your needs. I have not seen and AV receiver on the market that does 2 zone HDMI. You are probably going to have to get an outboard switch or why not just get two receivers that support HDMI. Probably a whole lot cheaper.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Bedroom receiver

I don't even think you need HDMI on the bedroom receiver. I stereo receiver (for 2 bedroom speakers) or entry level 5/7 channel receiver (for bedroom HT) should work fine. Just connect the digital audio outputs from a 2nd cable box and 2nd DVD player to the receiver. Connect the HDMI video directly from both sources to the bedroom Plasma.

Probably about $2k for the main HT AND bedoorm electronics.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis