HDMI Cable Vs Coaxial Digital for sound

J

JorgeA

Audiophyte
Guys.

I have a question, which one in order of signal quality is better to tranfer signal sound from de DVD to a Denon 3808 Amplifier. Here is the basis of the question:

I have a HDMI Toshiba DVD which has a HDMI Output port and has one Digital Coaxial (orange) output.

I connected the DVD to a Denon 3808 AVR amplifier through HDMI wire into the HDMI DVD Input on the AVR 3808. But the AVR amplifier also has a Coaxial Digital (orange) Input available

Some people said to me that in order to receive better audio signal from the DVD when it plays music or DVD Concerts, I should use the Coaxial Digital output from the DVD and connect it tho the Coaxial Digital Input in the AVR 3808.

I have the impression that the HDMI wire connecting DVD and AVR 3808 transfer good signal in video and sound, but I rather preffer your expert opinions.

Thanks for your time and willingness to put your answers.

JorgeA

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
It doesn't matter at all. You can get the data from the player to the receiver's DAC the same with either digital connection. Or you can use the player's DAC and connect the player via an analog connection. None of these things will change the performance of the equipment in any way. Just view them as options.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
This is true if your Toshiba is not a HD DVD player and you are trying to send Dolby TrueHD or LPCM. These will only transfer through HDMI (LPCM or bitstream) or 5.1/7.1 analog multichannel (LPCM).

Coax will be just fine for all other formats. The advantage of HDMI is the one cable solution (HD video/HD audio).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis