HDMI 2.0 / 4K UHD (2160p) Resolutions and new HDTVs

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I would still like to shoot the guy who designed the connectors without some way to secure them to the component.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would still like to shoot the guy who designed the connectors without some way to secure them to the component.
Have you ever tried HD-Base-T? It's just amazing to see it all work properly over a single cat-5 cable.

We have an upcoming job with a HD-Base-T switcher and a HD-Base-T natively equipped projector. Power and ONE cat-5 cable to the projector from the equipment rack - that's it. It carries control, Ethernet, HD video, and audio. Okay, we actually have a cable coming out of the projector to an amp and speakers in the ceiling, but it's just really freakin' cool to know that the cable won't just 'fall out' on us, that we are good to around 300 feet without issue, that the cable is the exact length we need, and that it will carry 1080p video without a hiccup.

I'm VERY happy with what I've seen from HD-Base-T to this point and would much rather see that type of connector and technology on all consumer products in the future.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Have you ever tried HD-Base-T? It's just amazing to see it all work properly over a single cat-5 cable.

We have an upcoming job with a HD-Base-T switcher and a HD-Base-T natively equipped projector. Power and ONE cat-5 cable to the projector from the equipment rack - that's it. It carries control, Ethernet, HD video, and audio. Okay, we actually have a cable coming out of the projector to an amp and speakers in the ceiling, but it's just really freakin' cool to know that the cable won't just 'fall out' on us, that we are good to around 300 feet without issue, that the cable is the exact length we need, and that it will carry 1080p video without a hiccup.

I'm VERY happy with what I've seen from HD-Base-T to this point and would much rather see that type of connector and technology on all consumer products in the future.
I'm with you. I hope HD-Base-T becomes the new standard. It only requires CAT5 not CAT5e or CAT6? Isn't it capable of POE as well? Something like 100w IIRC.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Cat-5e. I don't know how old a home has to be to have cat-5 in it, but I wouldn't go that low.

Potentially a smaller/lower power display could be powered completely by a HD-Base-T connection. It isn't 'PoE', it is different because I believe PoE taps out at 13 or 25 watts depending on version.

Power over Ethernet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

HD-Base-T does in fact go all the way to 100 watts and can provide that to PoE devices, or others which are simply following the HD-Base-T standard.

HDBaseT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's really freakin' cool to imagine what is possible moving forward with this.

I mean, imagine - this is a 40" LED/LCD television and it draws a maximum power of 89 watts...
Specs - LED TV UN40EH5300F | Samsung TVs

That could be fed by ONE cat-5e/6 cable and would run the whole show. HD video, Ethernet, power, control... everything! That's what I'm talkin' about.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah POE was the closest thing I could think of. I'm excited about this standard as well. While HDMI certainly has its faults, it is better than a huge bundle of component cables plus SPDIF and RS232. Granted CEC is no RS232.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I

ichigo

Full Audioholic
4K is worthless for gaming right now because HDMI 1.4 is stuck at 30Hz. Can't wait for HDMI 2.0 to come out so we can finally 60Hz so those 4K televisions are actually worth buying.

R

rippleyaliens

Audiophyte
Its Easy..

From an IT Point of View. Hdmi 2.0, will not make it. Reason= Hdmi 2= 4K Tv, 60HZ.. - The Technology is moving too fast.. This standard, NOW suffers from limitations..

First time in GAMER History, that there are already Video Cards, 4K Gaming, but at 30FPS.. Impressive, never been done before. Usually it is the Card, playing catch up. With that - The Demand for those panes, are going to go Ridiculous. Asus, is releasing, a Gamer monitor with 4k Display, 60Hz, and the price - $3200.. Give\take.. You can already get a 50" 4K TV, now, for $1250, and when that baby turned on.. Silence is what it was.

Display port, already, supports, the Magical 4K, 60hz.. -Imagine Eye-Infinity, on 3 of these..

SO,.. Hdmi 2.0 Is SOSO\Hdmi 1.4 =4K 30Hz..
Will be Different Cables..
Different Devices..
Different Cable Box's.. New version of Xbox1-UHD.. And so on..

Best to hold off, untill a standard, is revised. And for Gamers, that means, buying YET Another, insane priced video card.. It Costs.. But the results, are Gamechanging.

Almost as painful as the change to hdmi...

G

Grador

Audioholic Field Marshall
From an IT Point of View. Hdmi 2.0, will not make it. Reason= Hdmi 2= 4K Tv, 60HZ.. - The Technology is moving too fast.. This standard, NOW suffers from limitations..

First time in GAMER History, that there are already Video Cards, 4K Gaming, but at 30FPS.. Impressive, never been done before. Usually it is the Card, playing catch up. With that - The Demand for those panes, are going to go Ridiculous. Asus, is releasing, a Gamer monitor with 4k Display, 60Hz, and the price - $3200.. Give\take.. You can already get a 50" 4K TV, now, for $1250, and when that baby turned on.. Silence is what it was.

Display port, already, supports, the Magical 4K, 60hz.. -Imagine Eye-Infinity, on 3 of these..

SO,.. Hdmi 2.0 Is SOSO\Hdmi 1.4 =4K 30Hz..
Will be Different Cables..
Different Devices..
Different Cable Box's.. New version of Xbox1-UHD.. And so on..

Best to hold off, untill a standard, is revised. And for Gamers, that means, buying YET Another, insane priced video card.. It Costs.. But the results, are Gamechanging.

Almost as painful as the change to hdmi...
I have no clue what you're getting at. What exactly do you think HDMI 2 is lacking?

DTV TiVo Dealer

DTV TiVo Dealer

Audioholic
Clint great article, accurate, informative and nicely written! The discussion thread is also excellent.

Just today we received and set-up Samsung's 85" S9 UHDTV, which is our second UHD display as we have Sony's 65" X900A on our Flat Panel Shootout evaluation wall. So we're moving ahead with setting up an UHDTV store within our store, but a bit cautiously.

I've privately and publicly been discussing with all UHD display manufacturers about providing an upgrade path to support at least HDMI 2.0 and HEVC decoding. To date, only Samsung seems to have a clear solution with the "One Connect" external box and or Evolution kit.

So my bottom line on all of this is that it's true the early adopter pays a premium and deals with technology changes and advancements that make being first an expensive and brave move forward. But with that understood and considered I'm already having fun with my UHD displays and this new adventure has just begun. Sony's X900A looks so very stunning with Sony's media player and Samsung's 85" full array LED display has been a delight with the few BD's we played this afternoon.

So its been a great experience for us so far and our clients are loving what they see. We're looking forward to getting into our beautiful a/v showroom tomorrow to enjoy more UHD and to get more native content and push the UHDTV manufacturers to immediately, upon its availability, integrate HDMI 2.0 into the new crop of Ultra HDTVs that are launching in the next month or two.

-Robert

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis