HDMI 1.4a vs TOS Link (optical audio)

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
I have an Oppo BDP 93 hooked up to a Sharp LCD LED LC920 and I also have a Yamaha RX-A3000 A/V Receiver. Right now I have the Oppo optical audio output hooked up to the Yamaha via a TOS Link optical connection. Would there be any improvement in sound quality if I connected the Oppo BDP-93 second HDMI output to the Yamaha rather than the TOS link? Please advise.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. The optical connection doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, but HDMI does. So, in terms of blu-ray movies with those formats, then I'd say that you'll definitely notice an improvement if you use an HDMI connection.

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
Hi. The optical connection doesn't support Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA, but HDMI does. So, in terms of blu-ray movies with those formats, then I'd say that you'll definitely notice an improvement if you use an HDMI connection.

Thanks. I did not know that. I will switch my HDMI output 2 of my Oppo to the HDMI of my receiver.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. I did not know that. I will switch my HDMI output 2 of my Oppo to the HDMI of my receiver.
That is sort of what the second one was added for on those units. Older receivers that don't support 3d can still use the second one for audio. If your receiver does support 3d, you can go to the receiver then to the display.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis