M

miggs

Audioholic Intern
I am in the process of updating my RXV-1700. I need to upgrade in order to decode DD+ in netflix and amazon prime. The question is???? Do I need a receiver that has HDCP 2.2?

I trying to decide between Denon, Yamaha and Marantz.

I have the EMP-E55i towers, the EMP center and surrounds. I am also running an Emotiva XPA-3 with the RXV. What do you all recommend that will be like my RXV-1700, that can decode DD+ and is not going to break my bank?

Budget $500 -$1200. I was thinking of buying something on sale from 2015, but I want to know if I need HDCP 2.2.

Last edited:
L

Latent

Full Audioholic
HDCP 2.2 is the new standard that will be required to pass 4k protected content in the future but at this point their are no such content as Blu-Ray does not support 4k properly yet. Some of the new streaming boxes that will support 4k going forward may start requiring this support as well or you will be limited to 1080p.

Basically If you are buying a new receiver and are wanting to get a 4k TV at some point then it's better to have this support so you are ready for it but otherwise it should make no difference to you.

For your situation any AVR released in the last 5 years or so will be perfect for DD+. Also note that many source devices can convert DD+ down to DD bitstream for your older receiver over spdif but obviously you get a loss of quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis