HD 3D projector and screen Advice

C

canon007

Enthusiast
I wanted to get some advice on an HD 3D Projector and screen. Ideally i want at least a 110" screen (preferably 130"). My limitation is that the wall is only 115", which means for most 130" screens, with the screen borders the screen size is 118".

The projector will be ceiling mounted. What is the largest size screen I can get if my projector will be around 13 to 14 feet from the screen? Does the projector i get make a difference in how large of a screen I can get?

Some of the projectors I'm considering are the following (all prices are in CAN$):
  1. BenQ 1080p DLP Home Theatre Projector (HT3050) - $1399
  2. BenQ 1080p HD Home Theatre Projector with Hi-Fi Speaker (HT2050) - $930
  3. Epson Home Cinema 3500 1080p Home Theatre Projector - $1449
  4. Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030 2D/ 3D Full HD 1080p 3LCD Projector with Wireless HDMI Module(HOMECINEMA5030E) - $2599
  5. Panasonic 3D 1080P Projector with Viera Link(PTAE8000) - $2999
  6. pson Home Cinema 3000 2D/3D* 1080p HD** 3LCD Home Theatre Projector - $1199
  7. Optoma® HD25-LV 3D* 1080p HD** DLP® Home Theatre Projector 0 $1199
I want a fixed screen and my constraint for the screen is that the wall the screen is going to be mounted is only 115". I wanted to get a 130" screen, but with the borders, it comes out to 118".

The screens I'm considering i've seen, but am unsure what the differences are the following:
  1. Elunevision Elara 120-in. Fixed Frame Projection Screen (Velvet Covered and Triple Layered Fiberglass Enforced Screen) - $499
  2. Elunevision Elara 106-in. Fixed Frame Projection Screen (Velvet Covered and Triple Layered Fiberglass Enforced Screen)- $399
  3. Cinema Choice 110-in. Fixed-frame Projection Screen (Acoustically Transparent) - $319
  4. Elite Screens SableFrame 2 110" 16:9 Fixed Frame Projector Screen - $599
  5. Grandview 106" Matte White 16X9 Fixed Frame Projector Screen - $889
  6. Grandview 106" High Contrast Grey 16X9 Fixed Frame Projector Screen - $889
  7. Grandview 112" Matte White 16X9 Fixed Frame Projector Screen - $969
  8. Grandview 120" Matte White 16X9 Fixed Frame Projector Screen - $1025
  9. EluneVision Reference Studio Fixed-Frame 16:9 Projector Screen - 115" - $1249
With 3D glasses, do you need to get glasses for the same brand projector, or can you get any brand, as long as they are active.

I'd appreciate advice on the following options:

1. Optoma® 3D Rechargeable Glasses (with RF technology) - $66/each
  2. Optoma® BC300 RF 3D* Emitter and Rechargeable Glasses (pair) - $160
  3. Epson® 3D Rechargeable Glasses - $120
  4. Panasonic 3D Active Glasses -$98

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I have a nice long response on this, but it's over on anther website you asked at.

HT2050, Elunevision 120", DLP Link 144hz compatible, good sound to go with it all.

C

canon007

Enthusiast
Thanks
I have a nice long response on this, but it's over on anther website you asked at.

HT2050, Elunevision 120", DLP Link 144hz compatible, good sound to go with it all.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
Forget about 3D. It's dead. Eventually, we will have Glassless 3D. Everyone hates wearing those stupid glasses. They complain about headaches from the glasses, and when you turn your head you can lose it.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Forget about 3D. It's dead. Eventually, we will have Glassless 3D. Everyone hates wearing those stupid glasses. They complain about headaches from the glasses, and when you turn your head you can lose it.
No, we won't have glasses free 3D anytime soon. It bugs me when people say this who seem to have no idea how stereoscopic 3D works.

Also, 3D showings of movies continue to do very well.

Finally, 3D viewing in a home theater, at 120", rivals the typical movie theater. With models like the Sony HW45ES which utilize RF glasses, you don't have any sync dropoffs, but with DLP Link and a decent pair of glasses, you rarely have 3D Sync issues. You just don't with decent glasses.

I'm not sure why your opinion on 3D matters for someone else, but it really isn't accurate, except for those people who do get headaches. That's a real issue for some.

J

Jeffrey S. Albaugh

Audioholic
No, we won't have glasses free 3D anytime soon. It bugs me when people say this who seem to have no idea how stereoscopic 3D works.

Also, 3D showings of movies continue to do very well.

Finally, 3D viewing in a home theater, at 120", rivals the typical movie theater. With models like the Sony HW45ES which utilize RF glasses, you don't have any sync dropoffs, but with DLP Link and a decent pair of glasses, you rarely have 3D Sync issues. You just don't with decent glasses.

I'm not sure why your opinion on 3D matters for someone else, but it really isn't accurate, except for those people who do get headaches. That's a real issue for some.
Originally, they said that when 4K is implemented, we would have glassless 3D. Obviously, that hasn't yet happened.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Originally, they said that when 4K is implemented, we would have glassless 3D. Obviously, that hasn't yet happened.
That's because resolution has absolutely nothing to do with us having two eyeballs. :)

The technical requirement for glassless 3D is that each eye needs a completely separate view. This can only be achieved by using lenticular screens. Which doesn't work with front projection at all, and is nearly impossible, to downright lousy, with direct view displays.

I've seen some, the effect of glassless 3D is pretty fun. Fun, not good.

The reality is that we will need something closer to holographic screens which are capable of incredibly tiny differentials in viewing based upon angle. These screens would cost tens of thousands of dollars at this point, and still likely would need two projectors to deliver a proper stereoscopic image to them.

But, I can say, that I'm a huge fan of watching 3D movies on my home projector. It is better than theaters, and my family does not suffer from headaches with 3D. So, at 161" (our screen size) the immersion is spectacular, and the 3D makes it even better.

I never watch 3D on my 65" plasma.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis