Having trouble with Digital Audio Out from JVC TV to Marantz Receiver

T

Tadd Balfour

Audiophyte
Hi:

I'm new to the forums and need help with my parent's setup.

It's nothing special; just a JVC television (model JLE37BC301) and a Marantz Receiver (model SR4500).

So, on to the issue.

I cannot get the volume from the TV to go very loud even when i turn the Marantz all the way up as far as it goes and also the JVC volume as loud as it goes.

This issue doesn't happen with our DVD player. I can crank up the volume to where it shakes the entertainment center.

I am using a digital audio out cable that is brand new.

Any and all suggestions, advice much appreciated.

Tadd in Grand Cayman

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi:

I'm new to the forums and need help with my parent's setup.

It's nothing special; just a JVC television (model JLE37BC301) and a Marantz Receiver (model SR4500).

So, on to the issue.

I cannot get the volume from the TV to go very loud even when i turn the Marantz all the way up as far as it goes and also the JVC volume as loud as it goes.

This issue doesn't happen with our DVD player. I can crank up the volume to where it shakes the entertainment center.

I am using a digital audio out cable that is brand new.

Any and all suggestions, advice much appreciated.

Tadd in Grand Cayman
Not enough information in that post. We need to know precise connections, from what to where and how you have the inputs on the Marantz are assigned.

Are you using an optical cable from the TV? I can't find info on that TV, but generally the audio out of TVs these days is usually Toslink.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, and welcome to the forum! I see that you've posted this question on multiple sites, and I hope that you get it resolved. The TV model number that you posted has a typo - it's actually JLE37BC3001. That might slow some folks down.

Are you watching over-the-air TV broadcasts, or do you have some other source like a cable box connected to the TV? I ask that because it might be your source that is causing the audio issue and not the TV or its connection to the Marantz.

Turning the volume up on the TV would only affect the speakers on the TV itself or the analog audio outputs if you have those outputs set to "Variable." It wouldn't affect the digital audio output at all. As for the digital audio output, check out the audio menu on the TV and see if you have it set to Dolby Digital, PCM, or Off. I'm assuming if you get any signal at all (and my impression is that you do), that it's not off. I'd also turn SRS TruVolume off. If you're going to use the Marantz for TV audio, I'd turn the TV speakers off, too, in that audio menu.

T

Tadd Balfour

Audiophyte
OK, here is some more precise info for TLS Guy...

We have fiber optic cable service that goes into an Entone 500 Hybrid TV Media Player. That goes into HDMI 1 INPUT on the JVC TV.
Television service is fine, and if I don't have the audio going out to the Marantz, i can achieve decent volume levels / control.

I then have a digital audio cable running from JVC TV Digital Audio Out to the Marantz's Digital 1 input.

I then have speaker wires running to two Paradigm Mini Monitor v4, amplifier 15-100 watts, typical program is 80 watts, OHMs are compatible to 8ohms.
We do not have any other speakers from this surround sound type system.

I have assigned Dig. 1 as the input for the JVC TV. I've also tried the other Dig. inputs.

After googling Toslink images, that is exactly what i was referring to by "digital audio cable".

Let me know if you need any other specific info and thank you for your time.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sounds like what Adam was expecting. You have volume control in your TV Media player? As to me it sounds like you handle channels from that TV Media player as well? If that is the case you could run your hdmi from TV Media player to your receiver hdmi in for sound and pass through video to tv from receiver hdmi out.

T

Tadd Balfour

Audiophyte
Adam, i have not posted on multiple sites, not sure where you saw that...

anyhow, thanks for catching my typo and for your reply.

We are using the Entone from our cable provider which is WestStar.ky in the Cayman Islands.
There is no remote control or volume control for the Entone box.
Sounds like what Adam was expecting. You have volume control in your TV Media player? As to me it sounds like you handle channels from that TV Media player as well? If that is the case you could run your hdmi from TV Media player to your receiver hdmi in for sound and pass through video to tv from receiver hdmi out.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

OK, here is some more precise info for TLS Guy...

We have fiber optic cable service that goes into an Entone 500 Hybrid TV Media Player. That goes into HDMI 1 INPUT on the JVC TV.
Television service is fine, and if I don't have the audio going out to the Marantz, i can achieve decent volume levels / control.

I then have a digital audio cable running from JVC TV Digital Audio Out to the Marantz's Digital 1 input.

I then have speaker wires running to two Paradigm Mini Monitor v4, amplifier 15-100 watts, typical program is 80 watts, OHMs are compatible to 8ohms.
We do not have any other speakers from this surround sound type system.

I have assigned Dig. 1 as the input for the JVC TV. I've also tried the other Dig. inputs.

After googling Toslink images, that is exactly what i was referring to by "digital audio cable".

Let me know if you need any other specific info and thank you for your time.
That is important info. The respondent below has the right answer. Connect the Entone device to the Marantz receiver and not the TV.
In theory the way you have it hooked up should work. However it seems that approach can be problematic. The reason is that the optical digital outs are not reliable. I had just this situation with my mother's new Sharp TV in the UK. Since she was using the free box in the TV, I had to be creative. Fortunately Maplin UK produce a nice DAC with a volume control and gain to analog. This solved it, although I had to use maximum gain on the DAC device and it was still a lot quieter than the BD player.

I have a feeling the industry don't want us using audio outs from TVs. Since this is now the second case I have heard of, I suspect an evolving conspiracy about audio outs on TVs.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Adam, i have not posted on multiple sites, not sure where you saw that...
Ah, I looked again. There are a number of sites that are reproducing your post from Audioholics (but not directly, so it looks like you posted there, too). I found them right away when I searched for that incorrect JVC model number that you posted originally. Upon closer inspection, I see them reference this forum.

T

Tadd Balfour

Audiophyte
I've got it figured out now.
I took another look at the back of the Entone box and discovered a hard to see Toslink port.
Once i hooked that up to Dig. 1, it works and I can get it loud!

Thanks for the support guys!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I've got it figured out now.
I took another look at the back of the Entone box and discovered a hard to see Toslink port.
Once i hooked that up to Dig. 1, it works and I can get it loud!

Thanks for the support guys!
That is still not the best way to do it. It is best to use the HDMI out and not Toslink. Go HDMI to the Marantz and HDMI from Marantz to TV. HDMI carries audio and video in one cable and at the highest quality.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis