Having trouble deciding on a receiver.

M

Mustangjeff

Audiophyte
I think I have my choices narrowed down to these three units.

Yamaha RX-A2060 - Marantz 6011 - Denon AVR-X4300H

The system will be used in a standard 7 channel w/dual subwoofer speaker layout. Four of the speakers are LARGE.

The receiver will be used 75% of the time for playing music from two sources.

1) Turntable
2) Home theater PC using Jriver Media Center to play FLAC files.

What I'm looking for.

1) Great sound and build quality
2) The ability to control each sub independently
3) The ability to replicate bass on speakers marked as large and the subwoofers. (extra bass, LFE+Main, etc)
4) Configure speaker layouts at the input level.

Example :

HDMI 1 - Blu Ray Player - Standard 7.2 speaker layout. Extra Bass On or Off
HDMI 2 - Home Theater PC - 6.2 speaker layout (center off). Extra Bass On

Analog 1 - Turntable - 6.1 speaker layout (center and one sub off). Extra Bass On

I'm looking for opinions on the above three receivers (open to other options as well), and curious to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So what speakers do you have? What Subs and room size?

M

Mustangjeff

Audiophyte
Speakers are a hodge podge.

Fronts - Klipsh Chorus II's
Surrounds - Triangle Celius
Rears - Polk Audio RTI/A3
Center - Vandersteen VCC-1

Sub 1 - Vandersteen V2W
Sub 2 - Martin Logan grotto i

Room size is a bit harder to judge. The living area is about 12' Wide by 14' long, but it's an open floor plan. There aren't any walls blocking the living area from the dining and kitchen. We literally crank up the music and listen to it everywhere in the house.

Obviously we don't have any neighbors that are close by. :)

Also, the fronts are driven off a separate amplifier so the amplifier in the receiver really only needs to drive five speakers.

The Polks are 8 ohm

The Traingles
Sensitivity (dB/W/m) = 92
Freq Response (+- 3Db) = 45Hz-20kHz
Continuous Power = 120 W
Peak Power = 240 W
Nominal Impedance = 8 Ohms
Minimal Impedance = 5 Ohms

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
For movies, I wouldn't run any of the speakers as large or plus. Depending on the type of music you listen to, you can probably run the klipsch large.

As for the avr, the denon is a good value for the feature set.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If you mean streaming, that's fine but if you mean using JR MC and PC to play music files via the AVR's DAC, none of the 3 can do it. In fact I am not aware of any AVR that has the Asynchronous USB port for such application.

What I'm looking for.

3) The ability to replicate bass on speakers marked as large and the subwoofers. (extra bass, LFE+Main, etc)
I am not clear what 3) and 4) mean but I can tell you if you need 7.1 analog inputs for your BDP the Marantz SR6011 is your only choice. Otherwise I would go with the Denon AVR-X4300H for the better DAC and possibly a little more power. It is unlikely that one will sound better than the other, but everything being more or less equal, I would still go with the one that has the better key components.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why wouldn't you stream wirelessly to the avr's dac or use hdmi rather than usb?

If you mean streaming, that's fine but if you mean using JR MC and PC to play music files via the AVR's DAC, none of the 3 can do it. In fact I am not aware of any AVR that has the Asynchronous USB port for such application.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Why wouldn't you stream wirelessly to the avr's dac or use hdmi rather than usb?
Not for me, I am asking the op the question because lots of people who use JRiver media center and PC to play digital files via external dacs.

Littlefoott

Littlefoott

Audioholic Intern
The ability to replicate bass on speakers marked as large and the subwoofers. (extra bass, LFE+Main, etc)

Thanks
to do this as well as running subs, without any phase cancellation.
It would take a ton of work and measurements and tuning and room treatments..etc

too many speakers with different specs, trying to produce the same frequencies at the same time
if you could see the soundwaves, they would look like the sea in a thunderstorm crashing against one another

I would strongly recommend running room correction and then use the bass managed "small" setting and drop the crossovers to 40-60hz and lfe only, your bass will tighten right up

my towers have a +-39db, similar to yours, SVS even recommends crossover settings at 60hz to start the crossover at a peak just like yours have as well

source
http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Chorus-II-brochure.pdf

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
I think I have my choices narrowed down to these three units.

Yamaha RX-A2060 - Marantz 6011 - Denon AVR-X4300H

The system will be used in a standard 7 channel w/dual subwoofer speaker layout. Four of the speakers are LARGE.

The receiver will be used 75% of the time for playing music from two sources.

1) Turntable

What I'm looking for.

Example :

HDMI 1 - Blu Ray Player - Standard 7.2 speaker layout. Extra Bass On or Off
HDMI 2 - Home Theater PC - 6.2 speaker layout (center off). Extra Bass On

Analog 1 - Turntable - 6.1 speaker layout (center and one sub off). Extra Bass On

I'm looking for opinions on the above three receivers (open to other options as well), and curious to know if what I want to do is possible.

Thanks
If compatibility with other HDMI components and reliability are crucial, consider Yamaha. It is the only main-stream AVR brand that is HDMI/HDCP certified.

Just my $0.02.. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis