Having problem with no sound from HDMI (computer to receiver)

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
Hi

I am in the process of building a humble home theater setup.
One of the inputs I want to connect my receiver (Pioneer VSX-1123) are HDMI inputs from my laptops.
I have several laptops Macs and windows laptops.
Both of the laptops are able to output audio using HDMI just fine when connecting to TVs but for some odd reason, they are not able to output audio when connected to my receiver.
I've ruled out that it is either the receiver or the cable.

It seems to be some recognition issue because my Mac usually gives me the option to choose HDMI as the sound output device when I go to system preferences, but there is no HDMI option when I connect to the receiver.

I've read online that it could be some "handshake" issue or an issue related to HDCP or an issue that could be solved by a product like the HDMI Detective+.

Can anyone help?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi

I am in the process of building a humble home theater setup.
One of the inputs I want to connect my receiver (Pioneer VSX-1123) are HDMI inputs from my laptops.
I have several laptops Macs and windows laptops.
Both of the laptops are able to output audio using HDMI just fine when connecting to TVs but for some odd reason, they are not able to output audio when connected to my receiver.
I've ruled out that it is either the receiver or the cable.

It seems to be some recognition issue because my Mac usually gives me the option to choose HDMI as the sound output device when I go to system preferences, but there is no HDMI option when I connect to the receiver.

I've read online that it could be some "handshake" issue or an issue related to HDCP or an issue that could be solved by a product like the HDMI Detective+.

Can anyone help?
Make sure in HDMI set up menu on your receiver that the HDMI out is set to off. That will send the audio to speakers connected to your receiver. We get this issue again and again.

itschris

itschris

Also... check the silly things again. Make sure the input you're connecting to is set to the HDMI. I just ran into this when I was changing some things. I inadvertently changed the input to optical and didn't realize it. It was an hour of head slapping for a very stupid mistake.

@TLS - what/why does turning HDMI Out to off impact this? I have HDMI out to my TV and have it set to on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Also... check the silly things again. Make sure the input you're connecting to is set to the HDMI. I just ran into this when I was changing some things. I inadvertently changed the input to optical and didn't realize it. It was an hour of head slapping for a very stupid mistake.

@TLS - what/why does turning HDMI Out to off impact this? I have HDMI out to my TV and have it set to on.
For most receivers if HDMI out is set to on, then audio and video goes to the TV. If it is set to off, only video goes to the TV and the audio goes to speakers connected to the receiver or amps. Both my Marantz units are configured like that and I think most. They will not send audio to the TV and receiver out of one HDMI output.

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
I'm new to receivers so updating firmware and changing inputs will require some reading.

But for my setup the audio should go to speakers and the video should go to projector.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I'm new to receivers so updating firmware and changing inputs will require some reading.

But for my setup the audio should go to speakers and the video should go to projector.
Then set HDMI out to off.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Huh? How does that solve the no sound coming from the computer?
How do you know there is no sound coming from the computer? Can you get audio from other sources connected by HDMI to your receiver play through your speakers?

If you can, then you need to check your audio HDMI settings in your computer's sound card.

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
How do you know there is no sound coming from the computer? Can you get audio from other sources connected by HDMI to your receiver play through your speakers?

If you can, then you need to check your audio HDMI settings in your computer's sound card.
Yes I can get sound from other audio sources.

I don't know what's wrong with the hdmi setting in my computer because it's two computers both having the same problems.

They can both output directly to TVs using hdmi just not to the receiver.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes I can get sound from other audio sources.

I don't know what's wrong with the hdmi setting in my computer because it's two computers both having the same problems.

They can both output directly to TVs using hdmi just not to the receiver.
In that case I know what your problem is. This is common with computers. Your computers do not have HDCP repeater architecture, only single handshake. An end device like a TV is only required to make an initial handshake. On the other hand a device like a receiver, that receives and outputs HDMI has to have repeater architecture in the peripheral devices and the receiver inputs.

So an HDMI device does not have repeater architecture will work with a TV but not a receiver.

You must have a certified HDCP sound card that supports repeated handshakes over HDMI.

I use an HTPC I built that uses an Assus board that supports an Intel Quad 4 integrated processor. So processing, audio and video are handled in the same chip. It is HDCP certified. HDCP certification is expensive and a lot of computers and cards are not HDCP certified. Non certified devices create a myriad of problems with HDMI.

Do make sure you have HDMI audio turned on at the HDMI ports you are using on your receiver for your computer. If other devices are like a BD player are working correctly through that port then you need different computers.

If your TV and receiver support an audio return channel over HDMI then that might do the trick for you. However I suspect the HDCP police will still rain on your parade.

If you have no ARC available, or it does not solve the problem, then you will have to run the audio over digital coax or TOSLINK optical. You have no other options.

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
In that case I know what your problem is. This is common with computers. Your computers do not have HDCP repeater architecture, only single handshake. An end device like a TV is only required to make an initial handshake. On the other hand a device like a receiver, that receives and outputs HDMI has to have repeater architecture in the peripheral devices and the receiver inputs.

So an HDMI device does not have repeater architecture will work with a TV but not a receiver.

You must have a certified HDCP sound card that supports repeated handshakes over HDMI.

I use an HTPC I built that uses an Assus board that supports an Intel Quad 4 integrated processor. So processing, audio and video are handled in the same chip. It is HDCP certified. HDCP certification is expensive and a lot of computers and cards are not HDCP certified. Non certified devices create a myriad of problems with HDMI.

Do make sure you have HDMI audio turned on at the HDMI ports you are using on your receiver for your computer. If other devices are like a BD player are working correctly through that port then you need different computers.

If your TV and receiver support an audio return channel over HDMI then that might do the trick for you. However I suspect the HDCP police will still rain on your parade.

If you have no ARC available, or it does not solve the problem, then you will have to run the audio over digital coax or TOSLINK optical. You have no other options.
So I should buy the hdmi detective?

S

shnjb

Audioholic Intern
I don't see how that solves the repeater handshake issue.
I just solved the problem by updating the firmware of the vsx-1123.
I guess for some reason the way the laptop sends the audio input to the receiver was being mishandled by the firmware.

Now I see the option to output sound via hdmi.

C

chronos56

Audioholic Intern
I guess for some reason the way the laptop sends the audio input to the receiver was being mishandled by the firmware.

Glad to see it has been resolved. The receiver manufactures often push hardware out the door with firmware that is not fully debugged. We need to start treating our receivers like they are PC's, always assume that the software that comes in the box is outdated.

This also applies to any device that has updateable firmware/software. TV's, Blue Ray players etc...

Jim

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I assumed you had updated the software as advised in the first reply. Yes, always update software on an unit before set up. And don't use discs. For instance when you download drivers for a printer, don't ever use the disc that comes in the box, always download them from the manufacturer's site. The HDCP codes on your receiver must have been very outdated.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis