Has someone heard and/or reviewed one of the new Emotiva BasX A500 or A700 Multichannel Amps?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Emotiva Audio has just released a new budget minded series called the BasX power amplifiers.
As I am interested in purchasing a multi-channel power amplifier to connect to my Marantz SR5010, which I will eventually use as a preamplifier-processor, I read the specs which are provided on the manufacturer's website.
I compared notably the specs for the A500 unit with those for the Outlaw 5000, which is also a 5 channel power amplifying unit. With regard to the power output per channel and THD percentage, two channels driven at 8 ohms, the figures appear more than acceptable for both the Emotiva and the Outlaw products.

However, if someone will be using the power amps to drive 4 ohm speakers, then there is a huge difference between the two. Emotiva gives a THD figure of <1% at 190 watts (two channels driven only) at 1 kHz only, whereas Outlaw indicates for all channels driven simultaneously, a power output of 180 watts, also from 20-20,000 Hz, into 4 ohms, with less than 0.03% THD.

Moreover, The Outlook 5000, although being a little more pricey, seems to have a better power supply since its output and distortion ratings reflect performance for all channels driven simultaneously.

I will be bi-ampliflying the three front speakers. The crossover frequency will be 190 Hz.The high frequency transducers have their lowest impedance of 4.1 ohms at about 300 Hz, whereas the Dayton RSS390HF-4 subwoofer has a nominal impedance of 4 ohms.

The amplifiers which I need have to perform with a clean and musical sound and a reliable stability. For me, the Outlaw product is the obvious choice. Any comments?

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Your post pretty well sums it up!
The Outlaw 5000 is a very good product.
I don't think anything really competes until you increase the budget by a good margin!
In case you missed it, the Outlaw was reviewed here including measurements:
http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

PS-Don't let Gene's comment about getting better sound out of his Status Acoustic 8T speakers with the Emotiva XPR-1's worry you. Those speakers get down to something like 2.6 Ohms impedance. An amp like the XPR-1's are required for speakers like that - they are power hogs. I guess Status Acoustics assumes if you are paying tens of thousands for your speakers you can pay thousands for your amps! Those speakers have brought several high dollar amps to their knees. The fact that the Outlaw was passable is impressive!

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Kurt,
I wish to thank you for your comments.
I don't have a big budget and I will be getting this Outlaw product in the near future.
I have just purchased a Marantz SR5010 receiver to replace a NAD T763 which let me down.
I am bi-amping my 3 front channels and I have a Dayton RSS390HF-4 subwoofer in each front cabinet, and I did not want to impair their transient response with a series inductor which is, as you know, part of a passive crossover. The enclosures which I built have a gross internal volume of about 8 cubic feet. Based on the calculations with BassBox 6 Pro, I would get an F3 at about 20 Hz for an Fb of 16 Hz. I like low frequencies because I love pipe organ music.
For the high frequencies, I use Peerless 5¼ inch mid-bass transducers and an Airborne Motion Ribbon tweeter with very good results indeed. My main source is an OPPO BDP95.

Cheers,
André

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Your post pretty well sums it up!
The Outlaw 5000 is a very good product.
I don't think anything really competes until you increase the budget by a good margin!
In case you missed it, the Outlaw was reviewed here including measurements:
http://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

PS-Don't let Gene's comment about getting better sound out of his Status Acoustic 8T speakers with the Emotiva XPR-1's worry you. Those speakers get down to something like 2.6 Ohms impedance. An amp like the XPR-1's are required for speakers like that - they are power hogs. I guess Status Acoustics assumes if you are paying tens of thousands for your speakers you can pay thousands for your amps! Those speakers have brought several high dollar amps to their knees. The fact that the Outlaw was passable is impressive!
Kurt,
I've noticed that you liked the above Post #3 which dates from last September.

I'm not sure if you noticed the thread on the QSC DCA 1222 Digital Cinema Amplifier which I started in June of this year. In fact, I finally decided to get three of these 2 channel amplifiers instead of the Outlaw 5000 for practical reasons such as having a perfect amp number match for bi-amping the 3 front channels, apart from the advantage of being able to have them serviced in Montreal should the need arise.

At present, I have two of them driving the front left and right speakers in a bi-amplifying configuration, and I will be getting the third one this fall for the center channel. I should be able to post my overall listening impressions on the performance of the 3 front channels driven by those switching powered Class A/B amps at the beginning of December at the latest.

As mentioned in the other thread, I am amazed with the performance of the two already purchased. They don't have the looks of audiophile amps , they cost a lot less and IMO, they perform just as well.

Cheers,

André

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
We just became an Emotiva dealer and I have an A-5175 in stock. Let me know if we can help in any way.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Kurt,
I've noticed that you liked the above Post #3 which dates from last September.

I'm not sure if you noticed the thread on the QSC DCA 1222 Digital Cinema Amplifier which I started in June of this year. In fact, I finally decided to get three of these 2 channel amplifiers instead of the Outlaw 5000 for practical reasons such as having a perfect amp number match for bi-amping the 3 front channels, apart from the advantage of being able to have them serviced in Montreal should the need arise.

At present, I have two of them driving the front left and right speakers in a bi-amplifying configuration, and I will be getting the third one this fall for the center channel. I should be able to post my overall listening impressions on the performance of the 3 front channels driven by those switching powered Class A/B amps at the beginning of December at the latest.

As mentioned in the other thread, I am amazed with the performance of the two already purchased. They don't have the looks of audiophile amps , they cost a lot less and IMO, they perform just as well.

Cheers,

André
By the way, did you manage to get a special discount for buying two at a time and promised to purchase 3 more? Also, if I remember right, you email them about whether the amp would operate in class A for the first watt or so and they said no, is that correct? Oh, one more, could you hear the fan noise Thanks in advance.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
By the way, did you manage to get a special discount for buying two at a time and promised to purchase 3 more? Also, if I remember right, you email them about whether the amp would operate in class A for the first watt or so and they said no, is that correct? Oh, one more, could you hear the fan noise Thanks in advance.
The Canadian distributor does not offer a special discount if you order several of them. I emailed QSC inquiring about whether the RMX850a would operate in Class A, but not for the DCA1222. As for the fan on this DCA amp, it is rather quiet. I sit about 6 feet away from the 2 amps, and I only slightly hear the fans when the amps are powered up for a few seconds after which those variable speed fans slow down. The situation is rather different with RMX series amps as these are designed for live performances and they don't use the same quiet fans.

Please refer to Post #76 of the thread entitled "Crown vs Rotel" started on March 19, 2017 in which you have more details.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
The Canadian distributor does not offer a special discount if you order several of them. I emailed QSC inquiring about whether the RMX850a would operate in Class A, but not for the DCA1222. As for the fan on this DCA amp, it is rather quiet. I sit about 6 feet away from the 2 amps, and I only slightly hear the fans when the amps are powered up for a few seconds after which those variable speed fans slow down. The situation is rather different with RMX series amps as these are designed for live performances and they don't use the same quiet fans.

Please refer to Post #76 of the thread entitled "Crown vs Rotel" started on March 19, 2017 in which you have more details.
Now I remember more, you considered the RMX first and that is class AB, hence the question.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Now I remember more, you considered the RMX first and that is class AB, hence the question.
The DCA Series amps also operate as Class AB. When I have an opportunity of talking with the QSC engineer whom I discussed with recently, if I don't forget then, I will ask him the question for the DCA1222.

Cheers,

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Forgot to mention that, while the 2 lower powered DCA amps work in Class AB, the 3 more powerful ones, including the most powerful one with an output of 1100 watts/ch with both channels driven at 4 ohms, with an FTC THD rating of 0.05% from 20-20K, operate in 2-tier Class H.

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My question will most likely be futile for the DCA1222.
In their published specs, QSC indicate that in idle, it consumes a typical 0.8 A @ 120 Volts. With that switching powered amp, which should usually consume a lot less power than a traditional linear power supply, IMO this would indicate that its output stage is constantly biased for Class A/B operation.
What say you?

Last edited:
D

Dale Beshansky

Audiophyte
I have the A-500 and using it with the BasX MC-700 processor. It is a very fine amp. I have not found it lacking in any way for my listening area of about 2000 cf . Very good clarity, sufficient range, and power reserve seems adequate for GoT dragon blasts. It is also, very quiet.
The problem I realized after purchase is that I could have picked up the OA 5000 amp for only another C note. For that matter, Emo makes the A-5175 that matches the Outlaw amp pretty closely (Emo has 5 more watts per channel & arguably some better SN specs) but will cost you another 200 biscuits over the 5000.
Outlaw has really covered the mid-range amp market very well, and the 5000 seems to be the leader of the pack. I guess that's old news.
My only question is if the later 5000's were re-evaluated since the early item in Audioholic's testing exhibited some small noise issue on the channel(s) closest to the power supply.
Did not seem to be a major problem at the time, even though it was recommended by the author to delegate the L marked channel to a surround speaker for those concerned.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My only question is if the later 5000's were re-evaluated since the early item in Audioholic's testing exhibited some small noise issue on the channel(s) closest to the power supply.
I does not appear to have been re-evaluated.
Unfortunately, since the noise was not audible, it would require the same type of instruments and methodology to detect, so unless AH wants to pursue it, we may never know.
I suspect if AH is going to put an amp on the bench, they consider it more worthwhile to test a new unit rather than retest. I'd have to agree with that ... if they tested the BasX A-5175!;)

It is pretty noticeable that "new Emotiva" gear is not being tested by AH the way the old gear was. I suspect this is because New Emotiva realizes they will no longer show up as the indisputable best value as they had in the past. This is typical for a small company to gain a foothold and establish its name, then get bought by another entity who will look for increased profits. The good thing is they kept the same engineer (Danny Laufman, IIRC), but while he produces good designs within the parameters he is given (budget, function), he has no control of the final price/value!
Don't get me wrong, New Emotiva products are good and in many cases they fill a price niche that you'd have a hard time finding elsewhere. Their prices are reasonable. But gone are the days where it was a foregone conclusion that almost every unit they produce would set a new standard for performance/value!

Last edited:
D

Dale Beshansky

Audiophyte
Nice analysis, Kurt, thanks! Outlaw Audio has set a standard in what they do. No doubt a lot of that can be attributed to their longevity and a legacy of producing solid products.

I still think of Emo as the new kid on the block, still finding their way to some degree. They introduce new 'lines', not just new models, fairly often. That strategy may work to some degree especially in keeping things fresh to attract new customers. They are more like GM and Outlaw is more like Honda. But at some point older customers are more interested in constant improvements in function and reliability then they are in a new face. I read it too in Emotiva's forum. New designs mean new problems (or challenges?). I guess it's all about trade-offs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis