Harmony Remote + Samsung TV = @#%$!!

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
After a long night of screaming profanities and heavy drinking I finally found the key to making my harmony remote play nice with my Samsung TV. The problem originally arose when I was trying to switch activities (Cable to Blu-ray) You see, the Samsung remains on HDMI 1 for both Blu-ray and Cable because i have a single HDMI cable running from my receiver. When I would try to switch from watching a blu-ray to cable the action of re-selecting HDMI 1 would totally freak the TV out and set the input to TV (or tuner.) For some reason on my Samsung model if the TV is already on HDMI 1 and you issue a command to change it to HDMI 1 again (which is what both actions do for cable & blu-ray on the harmony remote) the input with automatically go to TV.

I'll just get to the solution to help those who may be having the same problem. Using the Harmony Software you are able to create a series of actions when you start an activity and when you end an activity. What I finally realized what that when leaving an activity I needed to add a command for the TV to change inputs to a "static" input (such as TV) so that when I commenced another activity the TV would change inputs back to HDMI 1 without throwing up.

I know it seems very bass akwards but it works for now for which I am extremely grateful. It's been like this for months. I wanted to share this with anyone who may be having a similar problem because I understand how unbearably frustrating it can be!!

J

jhanley

Junior Audioholic
What model Samsung do you have?
Mine is a LN-52A650 and doesn't have that particular problem.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
After a long night of screaming profanities and heavy drinking I finally found the key to making my harmony remote play nice with my Samsung TV. The problem originally arose when I was trying to switch activities (Cable to Blu-ray) You see, the Samsung remains on HDMI 1 for both Blu-ray and Cable because i have a single HDMI cable running from my receiver. When I would try to switch from watching a blu-ray to cable the action of re-selecting HDMI 1 would totally freak the TV out and set the input to TV (or tuner.) For some reason on my Samsung model if the TV is already on HDMI 1 and you issue a command to change it to HDMI 1 again (which is what both actions do for cable & blu-ray on the harmony remote) the input with automatically go to TV.

I'll just get to the solution to help those who may be having the same problem. Using the Harmony Software you are able to create a series of actions when you start an activity and when you end an activity. What I finally realized what that when leaving an activity I needed to add a command for the TV to change inputs to a "static" input (such as TV) so that when I commenced another activity the TV would change inputs back to HDMI 1 without throwing up.

I know it seems very bass akwards but it works for now for which I am extremely grateful. It's been like this for months. I wanted to share this with anyone who may be having a similar problem because I understand how unbearably frustrating it can be!!
If you go to Setup after the original configuration, you'll see an option for 'Yes, these settings are correct', No, I want to run the setup again' and 'Yes, but I want to make some changes'. If you click on the last one, you will see the equipment currently in the setup and all other pieces will be below that. If you click on the piece that's not working correctly, you can then add an action for that piece, including 'Leave alone'.

You could also use the troubleshooting section but that's not always the most intuitive way.

Their FAQ section is not laid out exactly the way I would do it.

highfigh

highfigh

discrete codes rule :p
Harmony uses discreet codes but if the TV is set to one input and left alone, it won't freak out. The problem is from not seeing an input/handshake signal while the receiver is switching the source.

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
If you go to Setup after the original configuration, you'll see an option for 'Yes, these settings are correct', No, I want to run the setup again' and 'Yes, but I want to make some changes'. If you click on the last one, you will see the equipment currently in the setup and all other pieces will be below that. If you click on the piece that's not working correctly, you can then add an action for that piece, including 'Leave alone'.

You could also use the troubleshooting section but that's not always the most intuitive way.

Their FAQ section is not laid out exactly the way I would do it.
Yeah, I selected the "Yes, but I want to make some changes" and toyed around with a number of actions including delays and other input switches...It just turns out that the "leaving an activity" commands are what made the difference.

I thought the Harmony remotes were known for their simplicity!! haha Thanks for your thoughts.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Have you contacted Samsung about this? Maybet here is a newer firmware out that address this issue?

highfigh

highfigh

Yeah, I selected the "Yes, but I want to make some changes" and toyed around with a number of actions including delays and other input switches...It just turns out that the "leaving an activity" commands are what made the difference.

I thought the Harmony remotes were known for their simplicity!! haha Thanks for your thoughts.
They are, if you do all of the switching on the TV and avoid doing anything interesting with them.

L

ljaggers

Junior Audioholic
Have you contacted Samsung about this? Maybet here is a newer firmware out that address this issue?
Actually yeah, I forgot to mention that. I downloaded the latest firmware to a thumb-drive and followed the directions of updating to TV. However, I got a message saying everything was up to date.

I'm simply wallowing in victorious success at my rag-tag solution.:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis