Harmon Kardon SB26 Soundbar

• Thread starter michael whisson
  • Start date
M

michael whisson

Audiophyte
Can anyone help me get to the bottom of a problem with my soundbar. It will no longer power on and I can't see any easy way to dismantle the soundbar to determine what's wrong. Can anyone help me with advice as to how to get the thing apart? Right now it will power on for about 5 seconds maximum then it goes off, but the weird thing it if I leave it for a day or two and try again it will power on, but again only for a few seconds before it goes off again. Very frustrating and annoying. Appreciate and help. Thanks.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
You don't expect a 150 dollar-10 year old soundbar to last forever, do you ?
Not worth time or effort, yet alone any money...like all dead soundbars, throw the whole kit and kaboodle away...its worthless.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Can anyone help me get to the bottom of a problem with my soundbar. It will no longer power on and I can't see any easy way to dismantle the soundbar to determine what's wrong. Can anyone help me with advice as to how to get the thing apart? Right now it will power on for about 5 seconds maximum then it goes off, but the weird thing it if I leave it for a day or two and try again it will power on, but again only for a few seconds before it goes off again. Very frustrating and annoying. Appreciate and help. Thanks.
That is a 2013 design, so you are very lucky it lasted that long. Sound Bars are basically nasty contraptions. They are not meant to be fixed, and if you do, you have to search for screws hidden under decals and mouldings.

The bigger issue, is that a solid state device or cap has shorted out. As soon as you turn it on, it goes into protection and shuts down. So you can be certain that there is a major fault. Since manufacturers seldom issue a circuit diagram, let alone a service manual, gear is just not fixable.

I have a sound bar of an acquaintance here now that has a broken optical port. I had to get the part from China, and there are practically none left in the world. It is only five years od and cost $700. This will be a difficult job, and screws are hidden all over the place, and the whole unit has to be dismantled.

My advice is to avoid sound bars like the plague. Yours needs a one way trip to the recycling center.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you at least tried a soft reset of the soundbar? (i.e. unplug it from power for a bit). Mostly I'd say this is an opportunity to improve on your audio gear, tho, not likely anything you can do (or you probably wouldn't be asking).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Have you at least tried a soft reset of the soundbar? (i.e. unplug it from power for a bit). Mostly I'd say this is an opportunity to improve on your audio gear, tho, not likely anything you can do (or you probably wouldn't be asking).
He has already don't that with no change. It is done.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It does. He says he has left it unplugged for a day or two.
No it doesn't particularly....it says he leaves it alone and tries powering it up....that doesn't specify if he's still in general standby or disconnecting from power.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No it doesn't particularly....it says he leaves it alone and tries powering it up....that doesn't specify if he's still in general standby or disconnecting from power.
I guess I read too much into it, and assumed he had it unplugged.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis