Harman Kardon AVR-354 vs. Onkyo TX-SR805. Harman Kardon wins!

G

guitarplyrstevo

Audioholic
I was comparing the two at my job today and have come to the conclusion that the AVR354 is a far more powerful receiver than the 805. I first had the 354 on a pair of floorstanding speakers and played some ray charles and i could have sworn there was a subwoofer on but there wasnt. I popped off the grill and saw how much the speaker was moving. It was tight and precise and the bass line was very smooth. Then i put on the 805 with the same settings, and tried my best to put exactly the same volume and the 805 sounded a lot smaller. I looked at the speaker moving and you can only see the speaker moving when there was a bass drum playing.

How does the 354 get the speaker to sound so much more full than the 805 when the 354 is only 75 watts and the 805 is 130?

Also what is the whole "high current" thing with Harman Kardon receivers?

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
If they were both at the same PERCEIVED volume, something could be wrong with any one of the two receivers. Were they applying any EQ or some kind of effect?
This could be as simple as the Onkyo setting the two speakers as small and crossing over at 80hz or more.

Amps are supposed to be transparent (at least good ones).

Have you done any measurements?

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I was comparing the two at my job today and have come to the conclusion that the AVR354 is a far more powerful receiver than the 805. I first had the 354 on a pair of floorstanding speakers and played some ray charles and i could have sworn there was a subwoofer on but there wasnt. I popped off the grill and saw how much the speaker was moving. It was tight and precise and the bass line was very smooth. Then i put on the 805 with the same settings, and tried my best to put exactly the same volume and the 805 sounded a lot smaller. I looked at the speaker moving and you can only see the speaker moving when there was a bass drum playing.

How does the 354 get the speaker to sound so much more full than the 805 when the 354 is only 75 watts and the 805 is 130?

Also what is the whole "high current" thing with Harman Kardon receivers?
Your not gonna get anywhere here :) . For the most part here whom post think all Amps sound the same . ( except for Tube amps , there bottom feeders ) . :eek:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Dude! :) That's what I been tryin' to get across for years! :D

H/K ROCKS! :rolleyes:

Bass management settings (speaker size, crossover) were probably not the same. Also, you would want to use pink noise to ensure they were at the same volume. It sounds like you might have matched up the numbers on the front instead.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Oh :eek:

I'm getting the hang of this. No measurements, no credibility.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Your not gonna get anywhere here :) . For the most part here whom post think all Amps sound the same . ( except for Tube amps , there bottom feeders ) . :eek:
That is right, we must be bottom feeders for trying to get to the truth, right? Trying to do a fair test?
Some don't care about fairness, it seems, only support for their imaginations.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
For the most part here whom post think all Amps sound the same.
I wouldn't say that exactly. It's not the notion that two amplifiers can sound different, but rather that the conclusion was drawn without control over bias.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
That is right, we must be bottom feeders for trying to get to the truth, right? Trying to do a fair test?
Some don't care about fairness, it seems, only support for their imaginations.
Huh
All im saying is most of you think Tube Amps are Bottom feeders . Guess it wasn't clear enough the 1st time 4 u :) .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Huh
All im saying is most of you think Tube Amps are Bottom feeders . Guess it wasn't clear enough the 1st time 4 u :) .
No, not the first time;) but got it now:D
No, tubes are nice and is really a preference component:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis