Harman Kardon AVR 130 Receiver Reviewed

We've been asked (more times than we care to admit) about reviewing lower priced home theater equipment, especially receivers. Well, in answer to your requests, consider this review of the Harman Kardon AVR 130 receiver one of the first in a series of entry level system reviews that will appeal to those wanting to get into home theater without taking out a second mortgage on the home. With an MSRP of just $449, the AVR 130 packs quite a punch in terms of flexibility, features and performance.

Read the Review

Attachments

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
What is this I see? Doth my crystal ball reveal an "Entry Level Receiver Picks" article in the making? A consummation devoutly to be wish'd for many here!

Anyway, this was timely for me, not necessarily for the entry level aspect but because I'd been looking at midprice HKs like the 43x (with outboard amps for the main speakers) for when I finally get with the multichannel program, (still very much dependent on getting steady freakin' work!) especially because of the unusually complete bass management they offer. Pretty amazing that they still offer it at this price! And with good ergonomics and ease of use it looks like a winner.

Onscreen menus mean diddly to those like me whose setup will be strictly for music, so its nice to see that it's not a PITA to use the front panel display.

I gather that a couple of things you give up with the 130 as opposed to the mid and upper price units are: ability to use a couple of channels for a Zone 2 stereo setup and the HK auto setup feature with the mic built into the remote (forget what they call it).

Oh, and I think the styling is a nice change from the black-anodized-monolith look currently in fashion. So there!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis