Grey or White Screen?

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
Newbie here. I'm putting together my first HT and among many decision, I'm trying to decide on a grey or white screen. I think I've decided to go with Silver Ticket. Here is some info for you.. I'm using a BenQ HT1075. Throw distance will be somewhere in the ballpark of 9ft-11ft. Screen size will be no larger than 106". Most likely 100" or 106". I have one window in the room that I can mostly control. I won't be watching stuff in 100% darkness at all times. I'll be watching sports, playing PS4, etc and have some light on at times.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
There are very few times when a grey screen is appropriate.

Is your room painted dark, or is it white? Your window that you aren't properly covering is an issue as well. I'm not sure how the Silver Ticket grey screens match up against their white screens. Grey screens are a huge issue for some companies as it introduces artifacts into the image such as sparkling.

If you have a lousy room, then compounding a window, with light/white walls, white ceilings, and light carpet is going to a serious hindrance to the movie viewing experience no matter what.

Get a grey screen.

But, if your walls/ceiling/carpet is darker, then get a white screen. As long as their is no critical viewing with the window partly uncovered, you should be fine.

Understand though... A window that is uncovered will suck. It's going to cast light on the screen and you will see it. If you want light on in the room, then directional light, no pointed at the screen is the way to go. You can have a TON of light on in a room as long as it isn't directed at the screen and can't easily bounce onto the screen.

SEE: http://www.avintegrated.com/lighting.html

S

Seth Morrison

Enthusiast
My room is a dark grey and the ceiling will be darker (pic attached) I have one window and can conceal most of the light with blinds/curtains. I've artached a couple pictures so you have an idea. I'm even thinking about putting curtains in front of that nook and separating it off which would help more. I'm also hoping to redo the lighting and put in recessed lights and my projector will go roughly where the dome light is.

Attachments

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you are working on the room, I would look at moving the speaker locations (ask in the audio section).

Dark walls, dark ceiling, subdued or non-existent side lighting and directional lighting...

Get a white screen.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis