Greatest Guitar Player Ever?

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I'm sure there are many differing opinions on this based on the music genre and personal preferences but in my view it has to be Tommy Emmanuel.

Tommy Emmanuel - Daytripper/Lady Madonna (by The Beatles) - YouTube

Tommy Emmanuel - Classical Gas (by Mason Williams) - YouTube

Tommy's Reddit request 3: Purple Haze - YouTube

I am in awe every time I see him play. I have seen him live on stage as well as up close and personal in a workshop. I still can't believe the sounds he extracts from a guitar.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't know who the "best" is or was.. But I appreciate Joe Satch, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, John petrucci, to name a few.. Joe Satriani being my favorite guitarist of all time, I seen him live a couple times, talked with him and played one of his guitars...

I don't know if anyone is better than me though, {no sa I am terrible} but I can play piano like Elton John {no sa I am terrible at that too}, I own so many guitars if I just played each one for 20 minutes a year, it would be epic, but instead I listen to music rather than play it anymore... My oldest son is into it a little but doesn't apply himself, he picks a song plays it for a while {until I want to strangle him so he forgets how to play, how many times can you hear the acoustic sweet home alabama {with the c-add-9 chord way to strong}}...

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
My faves Hendrix, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Scotty Moore, BB King and SRV, etc. Too many greats to mention and so many styles.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
A few more to add to the ongoing list.
In no particular order:

Eric Clapton, Eddie Van Halen, David Gilmour, Synyster Gates, Buckethead

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Y'all have listed a few that I have not heard, so now I got some homework to do!

I wanna add a few more of my favorites, but I'm gonna stick to people that are still alive so you may actually have a chance to see them live.

I've seen these guys several times:
BB King (blues)
D1ck Dale (surf rock)
Lee Ving (punk rock)

edit: I can't believe that AH changed "D1ck Dale" to "**** Dale", come on guys that is freaking silly!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Eric Johnson
Al Di Meola
John Mclaughlin
Larry Carrolton

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Eric Johnson
Al Di Meola
John Mclaughlin
Larry Carrolton
You know, Eric Johnson comes up from time to time. I've seen him open a couple shows (Steve Miller Band), and I've just never seemed to be that impressed. I dunno, maybe I'll give him another shot, it has been a long time since I seen him so my tastes may have changed.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You know, Eric Johnson comes up from time to time. I've seen him open a couple shows (Steve Miller Band), and I've just never seemed to be that impressed. I dunno, maybe I'll give him another shot, it has been a long time since I seen him so my tastes may have changed.
No one has the tone he has. Just amazing. Check out his Trail of Tears from Austin City Limits on YouTube. Just jaw dropping.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

LOL.

I'll throw in Jimmy Page as well. Many of the ones mentioned already are favs, but I'll add a few that are not so common probably - James Iha of Smashing Pumpkins, Jack White and Tim Reynolds.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

ReUpRo

Full Audioholic
I'll throw in my list,
Steve Morse
John Petrucci
Stevie Ray Vaughan
And tons more.

I donno, depends on the day.

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Enrique Coria
Warren Haynes
Dave Scofield
Jimmy Hearing

defmoot

defmoot

Audioholic
Best I've seen live, many times: Richard Thomson. Check out his Austin City Limits dvd.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Joe Bonamassa, Carl Perkins, George Benson, Mark Knopfler. Don't laugh, but I think Roy Clark was one of the best. I'm not sure if there is a 'best' really. Too many different styles/genres. I admit, I'm not a Clapton fan. His playing seems contrived.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think Roy Clark was one of the best.
I had a guitarist friend that said the same thing. All I ever heard from him was Hee-Haw but even on there every so often they'd let him have the spot light to do his thing. Certainly nobody's chump.

I'm just finishing up a Jose Feliciano album. Blues seems to be my thing so he's not like a favorite but he does know how.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Joe Bonamassa, Carl Perkins, George Benson, Mark Knopfler. Don't laugh, but I think Roy Clark was one of the best. I'm not sure if there is a 'best' really. Too many different styles/genres. I admit, I'm not a Clapton fan. His playing seems contrived.
I forgot all about Roy Clark, and agree he's very good.
He's usually on my list too, don't know how I forgot him.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
A lot of great guitarists mentioned. I would like to add Bruce Cockburn to the list. He plays mainly acoustic guitar, but he's fantastic.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
All great, but I'll add Ben Harper and Joe Bonamassa into the mix. Can't forget Yngwie Malmsteen and Dimebag Darrell.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Doh.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned yet (including me!)

Chuck Berry
Carlos Santana
David Gilmour

Also, I'll add a comment. I never really thought much of Keith Richards at all......until I saw the Rolling Stones/BB King DVD. Keith actually keeps up with BB! That opened my eyes!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis