Great bike rides today

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I couldn't live in a place like that. I've been meaning to see what the average temp history here has been over the last 12 years or so (since I first started coming here to ride), pretty sure its been getting warmer over that time period.
I'm a native so you just learn to deal with it. But, it sure is tougher to deal with as I get older.

On the other hand, we can go out on the lakes well into October! I have countless Christmas photos of with the family and we are all in shorts and T-shirts.

Seriously, we had like 6 days of "winter" for 2016, and not even consecutive days.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a native so you just learn to deal with it. But, it sure is tougher to deal with as I get older.

On the other hand, we can go out on the lakes well into October! I have countless Christmas photos of with the family and we are all in shorts and T-shirts.

Seriously, we had like 6 days of "winter" for 2016, and not even consecutive days.
Yep, just my tolerance for a lot of heat is very low. I couldn't even take living in the warmer parts of Los Angeles area where our family lived for a few years (did live near the coast there for a while, that's okay). My brother loves the warm weather during the winter, he's still down there. While SF winters were mild, I kinda like having four seasons again....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yep, just my tolerance for a lot of heat is very low. I couldn't even take living in the warmer parts of Los Angeles area where our family lived for a few years (did live near the coast there for a while, that's okay). My brother loves the warm weather during the winter, he's still down there. While SF winters were mild, I kinda like having four seasons again....
haha, yeah, we have summer and spring. Seriously, we usually get a 2nd bloom during the fall once the heat is finally done.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
It's hot all over. Cut today's ride short, but still got 17 miles, 1920' in about two hours, not bad for a Tuesday morning ride.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did a new to me trail today, was too wet last few times I wanted to. Eula Ridge may be somewhat short (we had time constraints so shuttled it) and not a lot of climbing but boy does it have a ripping descent! :D

Stopped at the top of the very steep singletrack at the old Hardesty lookout (which obviously isn't much use as a lookout these days, they tore it down in 68) and took a couple pics while I caught my breath (a good bit of the climb was 10-12% grade with some 14-16% thrown in).
eula 062617.jpg
eula2 062617.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There was room on the 2:30 shuttle today to Lawler so went back and got some more goodness :) Ended up with 459m of climbing, 2097m of descending.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
No numbers today, forgot to put the computer on. Just some nice pics from up on Alpine trail on a beautiful day...
alpine 071117.jpg
alpine 2 071117.jpg
alpine 3 071117.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@lovinthehd

How's that Hightower treating you? You've had it about a year or so now? Any problems, repairs, upgrades?

What tires and tire width are you running at this point?

I've gotta get my Cujo to the shop. Broke 2 spokes on the rear, and my rear tire (3.0" WTB Ranger) is about wore out!

I'm likely gonna step down to 2.8" tires. Thinking about Maxxis Ikon on the rear and Rekon on the front. But, I haven't laid hands on these tires yet, just looking at the tread patterns online.

I also will mention, I did indeed put a fairly good ding on my rear rim, likely running tubeless and low pressures were contributors here.

I've found that I tend to like running 17PSI on the front and 19PSI on the back. What kind of pressures are you running at this point?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's running great. Got it in fall of 2016. No problems except the RockShox Reverb developed an annoying bit of sag/play which drove me a bit nuts and find out it's typical of that post, so I changed it out for a Fox Transfer instead (with a WolfTooth thumb lever). Still running the stock Ikon/Rekon 2.8s, have a new rear waiting to install as the old one is leaking fluids a bit but still holding air well and some tread left. Like them quite a bit. 16-17ish is about right for me. I have a few scars on the rim but no flats, wheels are solid still (DT Swiss).

Rode Alpine trail two days ago, snow is starting to recede even at elevation, and took a pic but gotta run some people up there at 9....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It's running great. Got it in fall of 2016. No problems except the RockShox Reverb developed an annoying bit of sag/play which drove me a bit nuts and find out it's typical of that post, so I changed it out for a Fox Transfer instead (with a WolfTooth thumb lever). Still running the stock Ikon/Rekon 2.8s, have a new rear waiting to install as the old one is leaking fluids a bit but still holding air well and some tread left. Like them quite a bit. 16-17ish is about right for me. I have a few scars on the rim but no flats, wheels are solid still (DT Swiss).

Rode Alpine trail two days ago, snow is starting to recede even at elevation, and took a pic but gotta run some people up there at 9....
Aha, so you are running the Ikon/Rekon combo. Been pretty happy with that setup it seems.

I'm just wondering if that may be too agressive treads for my (Texas Hill Country) trails?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Hey, an fyi for anyone in need of shock or fork work, dirtlabs in Longmont Colorado has 1 day turn around times and does a fantastic job. Very reasonable prices too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Aha, so you are running the Ikon/Rekon combo. Been pretty happy with that setup it seems.

I'm just wondering if that may be too agressive treads for my (Texas Hill Country) trails?
Actually now that I look it's the Rekon/Rekon combo, with the 120tpi version up front, 60tpi in back. I guess I read about the Ikon/Rekon combo and that stuck in my head....

I just think for me it's a nice all around tread pattern, not too aggressive at all (compared to a true downhill tire).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, an fyi for anyone in need of shock or fork work, dirtlabs in Longmont Colorado has 1 day turn around times and does a fantastic job. Very reasonable prices too.
Do they specialize in any particular brand? We have a really good SRAM/RockShox shock/fork/seatpost guy in Eugene....Squish Dynamics (Andy Jones).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
From Wednesday's ride looking out towards Diamond Peak (the snowiest one)
Alpine 050218.jpg

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Do they specialize in any particular brand? We have a really good SRAM/RockShox shock/fork/seatpost guy in Eugene....Squish Dynamics (Andy Jones).
They work on all brands. They don't do anything else, just shocks. They're less expensive and have much quicker turn-around than Fox factory service.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
They work on all brands. They don't do anything else, just shocks. They're less expensive and have much quicker turn-around than Fox factory service.
I always use PUSH but they limit what they work on.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I always use PUSH but they limit what they work on.
I've had no issues with standard Fox service, but if I wanted tweaks I'd probably go to Push. I'd really like to have the Push ElevenSix but haven't bought it....yet.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@lovinthehd
Should get my bike back from the shop tomorrow.

I went back with the WTB Ranger 3.0" (tough version) on the rear, partly at the rec of the shop guy and partly due to cost (of course the LBS prices are a bit more than online parts pricing). However, I did purchase a Maxxis Ikon 2.8" online as a spare, so I will try that out eventually (it also came with a free Maxxis draw-string backpack, score!).

I'm moving from a 160mm rotor to 180mm on the rear, and new brake pads.

And, completely rebuilding my rear wheel with stronger spokes. I broke a couple of spokes, and this is the 2nd time I've done that.

The big difference this time is that the owner handed me off to a guy that has more experience with the larger tires, but he is also a much larger guy like I am. So, he understands the unique challenges and stresses that a big heavy rider puts on an XXL bike. He took a good look at my broken spokes and made that rebuild suggestion, even before I told him this is my 2nd trip with broken spokes. But, that is also ~800 miles on this bike.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis