Got My Monoprice RCAs But...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Hey Guys,

I ended up pulling the trigger on those Monoprice RCA interconnects for $4.11 and hooked 'em up today between my Marantz changer and Onkyo stereo receiver, but I'm wondering...is there a certain way they're supposed to be plugged into each connecting bank so that the audio signal flow is correct?

On my previous Monster RCAs which I'm replacing with these Monoprice cables (because as you probably recall the Monsters were not long enough to channel through my rack to the receiver) there were arrows indicating which end of the cable terminals should go to which component -- the direction of the arrows indicating the signal should flow towards that direction, from the source component, to the receiving component...

But I don't see any such indicators on the Monoprice cables...does this matter? Is there definitely a flow direction that needs to be followed with interconnects at least in the analog domain?

Of course, I got the polarity right -- that is, the positive and negative RCA terminals -- but I was wondering about this flow...

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Lol....no. :D
Honestly, 'kane?

Isn't that what those arrow labels were there for though on the aforementioned Monsters I had? There is no directionality that must be followed in terms of signal flow?

dkane360

dkane360

Audioholic Field Marshall
Honestly, 'kane?

Isn't that what those arrow labels were there for though on the aforementioned Monsters I had? There is no directionality that must be followed in terms of signal flow?
Yes, thats what the arrows were supposed to represent, although they do nothing. I'll wait for someone else to chime in with the scientific explanation though, as its 2AM and I dont feel like thinking :p

I did go ahead and find a little blurb someone wrote about their opinion on the matter.

http://www.blackcatcable.com/page/cable-directionality

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
hahahaha yet another audiphool myth, thats called cable directivity, and it is a load of trash.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Hey Guys,

I ended up pulling the trigger on those Monoprice RCA interconnects for $4.11 and hooked 'em up today between my Marantz changer and Onkyo stereo receiver, but I'm wondering...is there a certain way they're supposed to be plugged into each connecting bank so that the audio signal flow is correct?

On my previous Monster RCAs which I'm replacing with these Monoprice cables (because as you probably recall the Monsters were not long enough to channel through my rack to the receiver) there were arrows indicating which end of the cable terminals should go to which component -- the direction of the arrows indicating the signal should flow towards that direction, from the source component, to the receiving component...

But I don't see any such indicators on the Monoprice cables...does this matter? Is there definitely a flow direction that needs to be followed with interconnects at least in the analog domain?

Of course, I got the polarity right -- that is, the positive and negative RCA terminals -- but I was wondering about this flow...
There's no 'positive' or 'negative' RCA terminals, only right and left. An RCA plug has a positive and negative connection, but those are on each plug or jack. The pin is positive and the outer ring/sleeve is negative.

Your Munster cables have an arrow because the outermost layer of shielding is connected to the grounding ring at the end the arrows point to. They'll still work if you connect them backward, but the outer shield will be trying to terminate at the source (CD, DVD, etc) end, which isn't how a good shielding scheme works. For the best shielding, all devices that connect to a preamp or receiver should shield their ground at the preamp/receiver so the shield can act as an antenna for the noise. Once it's grounded, the noise is inert. Balanced cables use a twisted pair with shield topology for this reason. The pair conduct the signal and the shield takes the noise directly to chassis ground, where it should cause no problem with the signal. RCA cables are unbalanced and should never have become the standard, IMO.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
That question pops up every once in a while. So now you've got the rest of the story from Highfigh.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
Hi Pearlcorder,

there's another problem with cable directionality though; I mean, if you do not respect the arrows, the music will play backwards ... J/K ;)

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
There's no 'positive' or 'negative' RCA terminals, only right and left. An RCA plug has a positive and negative connection, but those are on each plug or jack. The pin is positive and the outer ring/sleeve is negative.
Sorry, highfigh -- that's what I meant. Right and left, not positive and negative. :)

Your Munster cables have an arrow because the outermost layer of shielding is connected to the grounding ring at the end the arrows point to. They'll still work if you connect them backward, but the outer shield will be trying to terminate at the source (CD, DVD, etc) end, which isn't how a good shielding scheme works. For the best shielding, all devices that connect to a preamp or receiver should shield their ground at the preamp/receiver so the shield can act as an antenna for the noise. Once it's grounded, the noise is inert. Balanced cables use a twisted pair with shield topology for this reason. The pair conduct the signal and the shield takes the noise directly to chassis ground, where it should cause no problem with the signal. RCA cables are unbalanced and should never have become the standard, IMO.
Thank you very much for this explanation; I appreciate it.

But where does that leave me with the Monoprice cables? If there are no "indicators" to direct grounding and such as you point out above, does it matter which ends go to which component (in terms of direction)?

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Hi Pearlcorder,

there's another problem with cable directionality though; I mean, if you do not respect the arrows, the music will play backwards ... J/K ;)
LOL...

But what's scary is, Monster can make you think that...:eek:

highfigh

highfigh

That question pops up every once in a while. So now you've got the rest of the story from Highfigh.
DON'T EVER CONNECT 'THE REST OF THE STORY' TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul Harvey was one of the first high-profile BLOSE spokespeople and I will not have my name sullied by being associated with the likes of him. :D

highfigh

highfigh

Sorry, highfigh -- that's what I meant. Right and left, not positive and negative. :)

Thank you very much for this explanation; I appreciate it.

But where does that leave me with the Monoprice cables? If there are no "indicators" to direct grounding and such as you point out above, does it matter which ends go to which component (in terms of direction)?
Don't worry about it. I haven't had an induced noise problem with the cables I use and unless you're close to a strong RF source, you won't either. I have used cheap ones ( because some people just want the cheapest and won't hear/see any noise, anyway), Planet Waves (easier to wire in a standard electronics rack, easy to terminate and the ends are re-usable- I hate having excess wire in the back) and house brand from my suppliers with zero issues. I did notice a big difference when I used Planet Waves from my guitar effects to the amp, replacing some supposedly "better" cables. That was definite, not imagined.

If the cables don't have excessive capacitance or inductance and the conductors can't move around inside the jacket, you'll have no problems.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Don't worry about it. I haven't had an induced noise problem with the cables I use and unless you're close to a strong RF source, you won't either. I have used cheap ones ( because some people just want the cheapest and won't hear/see any noise, anyway), Planet Waves (easier to wire in a standard electronics rack, easy to terminate and the ends are re-usable- I hate having excess wire in the back) and house brand from my suppliers with zero issues. I did notice a big difference when I used Planet Waves from my guitar effects to the amp, replacing some supposedly "better" cables. That was definite, not imagined.

If the cables don't have excessive capacitance or inductance and the conductors can't move around inside the jacket, you'll have no problems.
Thanks.

But what about the idea of these "arrows" on my previous cables' jackets supposedly "pointing" the direction of the signal flow? As I stated, I do not believe the Monoprice RCAs have such indicators, so does it matter which end of the cables go to which component?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks.

But what about the idea of these "arrows" on my previous cables' jackets supposedly "pointing" the direction of the signal flow? As I stated, I do not believe the Monoprice RCAs have such indicators, so does it matter which end of the cables go to which component?
If there is no arrow, then as was mentioned, no. Even in the case where there is an arrow it probably won't make a difference in the sound either. If you have hum in your system between two pieces of gear, it might make a difference there, but only in terms of hopefully eliminating the hum, not a difference in sound.

I've hooked up directional cables both ways and I couldn't tell the difference.

Last edited:
P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
If there is no arrow, then as was mentioned, no. Even in the case where there is an arrow it probably won't make a difference in the sound either. If you have hum in your system between two pieces of gear, it might make a difference there, but only in terms of hopefully eliminating the hum, not a difference in sound.
Okay.

I've hooked up directional cables both ways and I couldn't tell the difference.
Oh, so there are so-called "directional cables"?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Thanks.

No it doesnt matter at all..............very funny though.....:D

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
I'm a bit confused guys...do these "arrows" which are labled on some brands (cough cough Monster) matter on the interconnects -- or are they there to indicate ground positioning only?

My Monoprice RCAs had like short "sleeve covers" which surrounded the ends of the cables on each end towards the terminating plugs, but they had printing on them that didn't have any relevance or significance to me; like codes and numbers or something along those lines. Do these symbols indicate correct signal flow?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis