Got a turntable and I don't get it.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Been wanting a turntable for a few years now. Finally picked up a Project debut carbon. Not sure after a few hours of listening to all new LP's that I get it. I really don't think so far that it sounds better. In fact I have to turn up my volume a bit more than from my CD source.
Do all new records require a cleaning straight out of the jacket? I am hearing pops and cracks just like I was a kid.:D With records costing twice sometimes over three times as much as a CD it doesn't seem worth it to me. I will hold on to the table but most likely will be spinning CD's and using my computer as a source.
Any thoughts out there?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I know there are some unique instances where the dynamics of the record were greater than the CD. That was more of a matter of production values when the CD was made (engineer targeting listening on iPod?) than the capabilities of the format. I am sure the reverse also happens.
As someone who grew up with a TT and switched to CD's I have not seen the reason to return (although I have a nice Thorens TT in storage).
There is something to be said for the ritual of handling a record, pulling it out of the jacket, placing it on the turntable, cleaning it, and placing the needle on the record, but I am too lazy to get up and swap CD's (use a CD changer or Pandora)

A vinyl buff may be able to give you a better answer.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Thanks. I just put another record on which is new and the volume is like a normal CD. Strange. My other LP's are from Steven Wilson which is known for his very high quality recordings.. No a bad sound, you just have to crank the volume up on them.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Sell your turntables cheap to somebody that likes playing records. ;)

Glad I could help. :D

I only got into vinyl because it was cheap, not for SQ and ease of use. o_O

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Been wanting a turntable for a few years now. Finally picked up a Project debut carbon. Not sure after a few hours of listening to all new LP's that I get it. I really don't think so far that it sounds better. In fact I have to turn up my volume a bit more than from my CD source.
Do all new records require a cleaning straight out of the jacket? I am hearing pops and cracks just like I was a kid.:D With records costing twice sometimes over three times as much as a CD it doesn't seem worth it to me. I will hold on to the table but most likely will be spinning CD's and using my computer as a source.
Any thoughts out there?
I got into vinyl in the late 1990s, and part of the reason is that back then I could buy 2 or 3 used records for the price of 1 new CD! It allowed me to expand my collection and hear new music for cheap.

Nowadays, the tables have turned, you can buy 2 or 3 used CDs for the price of 1 new vinyl. Guess what, I have ~300 vinyls but rarely add to the collection, but I buy many cheap CDs each year.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In see vinyl aficionados as like those that love old British sports cars. They may not always get perfect performance without constant fiddling but, to them, it's the journey, not so much the destination.

Anyone whose had to contend with putting oil into SU carbs and synchronizing them will know what I'm talking about. And, let's not forget the Lucas electronics and the convertible tops that came in 50 pieces, removable plexiglass side windows and non-existent climate control systems.

But, when it all comes together and you're enjoying a perfect day, on a fine country road, with the top down, ands you keep within it's limits, it can be an exhilarating experience.

MGA.jpg

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Mark, but if the vinyl nostalgia isn't doing anything for you then there's probably not much point.

If an album is being pressed to CD & Vinyl then wouldn't it be safe to assume that they both should sound about the same?

I would understand vinyl collecting if it was of a certain type of music that's not readily available on CD.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If an album is being pressed to CD & Vinyl then wouldn't it be safe to assume that they both should sound about the same?
I would expect them to be mastered differently resulting in greater dynamic range on the vinyl.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I have to be in the mood to play vinyl, MY WIFE loves listening to Janice on vinyl, a few years back I bought her the collection box, she is wearing them out, lol. She plays them on the bedroom system which is nothing super special, all cheaper' stuff, tekton lores, jolida 202 tube amp, bellari preamp, music hall 2.2 table, its sounds clean and clear, plays pretty loud, but NOT the best sounding setup when compared to a well setup digital system for less money.

BUT what that system does, that say my formal parlor systems (dac, cd, player, ipad, big amp, and speakers) doesn't do is add ambiance, the tubes glowing, record spinning, different almost live concert like sound of the tektons unrefined output perfectly compliments the slight warbles, cracks, and pops that are there with vinyl...

FUNNY, where ever I go I google the area for hi fi shoppes... In Italy there was a cool shop, sadly the 2 people working the store were not GREAT with english, but we got by, they had a box that added "vinyl charactoristics" to modern day CD players, lol.. Couple that with one of them fancy amplifier looking lights the gentleman on ebay used to produce and sell (not sure if they are still around, essentially a metal chassis made to look like a tube amp with small edison bulbs and some circuitry to make them glow like tubes...) and you have a the same effect, but probably for much less money, lol...

ANYWAY, like frog legs in cream sauce, vinyl is an acquired taste...

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I have been listening to vinyl for about a year. I cannot say I have heard any dynamic difference between vinyl and CD's.

I like vinyl for the process. Going through the handling, cleaning, and flipping engages me more in the music. It may be the nostalgia that I like, but I can say that while I used to spend most of my entertainment time watching movies/TV, I now spend most of it listening to vinyl. And I like that. So I guess for me a record that is being played sounds better than a CD that is sitting in its case.

As for the pops and hissing, a clean record and needle should take care of most, and the few remaining I don't mind.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I would expect them to be mastered differently resulting in greater dynamic range on the vinyl.
I guess that depends on what the album is. If it's something like Lady Gaga or some other pop stuff they usually have more dynamic compression on the CD.

It's frustrating too because CD has greater dynamic range capacity than vinyl does.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Every time I read a thread on vinyl I cringe a little.:)
It brings me back to listening to vinyl in 1977 and at some point reading about something called a CD.
I couldn't wait! I hated the rice krispie sound of vinyl.
Never understood how a true music lover could rationalize and romanticize that noise?
I understand if someone likes that kinda interaction thing...... that's where my understanding ends.
Music wasn't originally recorded or played with those pops & clicks.
Beethoven didn't play while eating rice krispies.:D
Funny how the same people that say tube amps color the sound, are willing to listen to all the noise and not understand, that is also colored / altered sound.

Again... I understand if you like all the idiosyncrasies of vinyl...... it's just not how the music was made to sound... Beethoven didn't have a guy sandpapering his piano while he played.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Rickster71 said:
YES HE DID.... take it back!

Beethoven didn't have a guy sandpapering his piano while he played.:D

That's true, extremely well documented fact.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Not all albums hiss and pop, even out of the used realm. Then again, not all new albums are hiss and pop free. I've got a couple of records here that sound killer. You know what? I think I'm gonna play one now.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Every time I read a thread on vinyl I cringe a little.:)
It brings me back to listening to vinyl in 1977 and at some point reading about something called a CD.
I couldn't wait! I hated the rice krispie sound of vinyl.
Never understood how a true music lover could rationalize and romanticize that noise?
I understand if someone likes that kinda interaction thing...... that's where my understanding ends.
Music wasn't originally recorded or played with those pops & clicks.
Funny how the same people that say tube amps color the sound, are willing to listen to all the noise and not understand, that is also colored / altered sound.

Again... I understand if you like all the idiosyncrasies of vinyl...... it's just not how the music was made to sound... Beethoven didn't have a guy sandpapering his piano while he played.:D
Taking this argument to the other extreme, isn't it true that regardless of how you are listening to a recording it is not being reproduced without some change from the original intended recording? Whether it's being colored by the characteristics of your speakers, your room dynamics, DSP, etc., the recording will always sound different. So isn't it just a matter of degree? I imagine similar conversations were had when the record player replaced the gramophone.

I understand that vinyl does not top the list in terms of accurate reproduction. But a "true music lover" is not only a person that enjoys hearing music that is reproduced most closely to the original. Music elicits both an intellectual and emotional response. If certain qualities of a medium increase the emotional response then for some it is perhaps a better medium.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis