Google Nexus Q Media Streaming Player Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
It's been (semi)widely known that Google was getting into the media streaming box business. This week they leaked a page on their Google Play website for the Google Nexus Q streaming media device. The Google Nexus Q is a $299 is a 'social streaming media player' that streams movies and music directly from the cloud to your living room. It runs Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and comes with 1GB of RAM and 16GB of local storage. It's a lot bigger than it looks in the photos (4.6" in diameter) but is still relatively small. With the Google Play and YouTube apps on your Android phone or tablet, you can use the Nexus Q to send high definition content to your television and home theater speakers. Since everything is cloud-based, the Nexus Q promises no downloads waits or syncing - everything is instant.

Discuss "Google Nexus Q Media Streaming Player Preview" here. Read the article.

cwall99

cwall99

Full Audioholic
I'm just wondering how they define "high definition content."

In my world, that's CD quality or better, or, better yet, Blu Ray. Seeing as NetFlix's HD content is somewhat, uh, grainier than Blu Ray, I'll have to wait and see.

Of course, the other question is whether it'll play Facebook content in HD. I wonder if they'll use this device to try and attract customers to that big, empty, virtual gymnasium some people call Google Plus.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't remember if I said it before here or not, but until Q will be fully hacked to support XBMC/PLEX or similar it's absolutely hopeless, simply due to singular tie-in to google only provided content. No Amazon, no Netflix. In fact not even Pandora... Count me out due to lack of features alone.

Possibly will reconsider once Devs will able to run XBMC (or similar) on it with full media client features support - including 1080p playback and HD audio pass-thru

N

nickisgame69

Audiophyte
Weren't they planning to come out with the second generation Nexus Q?

M

mychaelp

Enthusiast
Yeah, I read about the Chromecast here Chromecast - Roku, Apple TV Killer? - The Creative Alternative which by the way, they also did a review of the Roku and it seems with PLEX it's a better alternative for me at this point. I wish Chromecast had more compatibility right now, and I read somewhere that the browser content may be limited soon as content providers including Google would rather you buy content from them instead of streaming through sites such as NBC, etc.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis