Good Subwoofer for placement NOT in a corner, and not near a wall?

D

davec80

Audiophyte
OK, dedicated media room, about 14' by 17' by 8' high ceiling.

Have been doing extensive research on speakers, subwoofers. Was leaning (hard) toward an SVS SB1000 (as opposed to the PB1000, or anything else) until I read that it had to be placed in the corner of the room.

I need the subwoofer to be placed about 4' from front wall and 4' from side wall. Any other placement will really look strange. To be clear, this matters to ME... (not dealing with WAF here)

I know this placement might not be perfect for good sound quality. But what subwoofer would handle this placement, dealing with about a $700-ish buget for subwoofer?

If someone yelled and screamed enough, I could maybe be convinced to move the sub back to the front wall (but not near a corner). But I would prefer it to be about 4' from front and right side wall.

Other equipment:
Yamaha receiver, not settled on model yet, about $600-$700
Ascend 170 L/C/R across the front (yes, bookshelf for center channel)
Streem SR-490 bipole surround
Ascend 200 (pair) surround back
Would go with a straight Ascend solution, if Ascend would release a bipole...
Unknown blu ray player
~65" TV, probably LG LED
Main viewing/listening position about 6-7' distance
Two rows of three seats

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
May very well work just fine. You kind of won't know until you have it in place, and a system with sub EQ capability will also help. A sub does NOT have to be placed in the corner, though corner placement can help get more out of some of them. There isn't going to be a particular sub that will perform better in a mid room location because it is impossible to say, as mentioned, until you actually try it. So size it to the room and give it a shot. I'd probably step up to the Outlaw LFM-1EX / HSU VTF-3 or SB2000, since you will not be using the corner for reinforcement. You'll want something a little more stout.

Bipole isn't necessary at all IMHO, which could be why Ascend doesn't offer one, but in a dedicated room with multiple rows, they might be a good idea.

D

davec80

Audiophyte
Good point about sub eq...had not thought about that. Now I am wondering if ypao, like in yamaha 677 will eq a sub??? If not, it might be better to switch brand of receiver to something with sub eq? Thinking about a vtf3 now for sub also. Thanks for the suggestion...

D

davec80

Audiophyte
Oh...forgot to mention...I am pretty stuck on bipole surround because of two rows of seating. I think bipole surround is a compromise...but I think monopole surround would be a bigger compromise. That is my opinion anyway...

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
OK, dedicated media room, about 14' by 17' by 8' high ceiling.

Have been doing extensive research on speakers, subwoofers. Was leaning (hard) toward an SVS SB1000 (as opposed to the PB1000, or anything else) until I read that it had to be placed in the corner of the room.
In a room less than 2000 ft^3 the PB-1000 would be a very good choice. If you want something with a little more depth/output check out the Rythmik LV12R.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I would be looking at a Hsu VTF3 or SVS PB2000. Be aware that these are larger subs, and that the Hsu has a $100 S+H fee on it, but they would be worlds better than the SVS 1000 subs. For a surround speaker that will be a lot less awkward to mount in that room, I would be looking at some JBL 8320s.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis