Good sub for Rock music, tight punchy bass, no boom. Under $1000.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
How would you implement stereo for subs?
in the past, when i was chasing the kick in the chest.

i've done this:

set mains on the pre/amp processor to full range, connect one sub to the LEFT pre out and the other in the RIGHT pre out. adjust lowpass crossover of the subs to taste (i use a power amp so the main speakers get a highpassed signal from the subwoofers)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
in the past, when i was chasing the kick in the chest.

i've done this:

set mains on the pre/amp processor to full range, connect one sub to the LEFT pre out and the other in the RIGHT pre out. adjust lowpass crossover of the subs to taste (i use a power amp so the main speakers get a highpassed signal from the subwoofers)
So limited to using subs that offer a high passed line level out....or just run full signal to the speakers. How did that work out for the kick in the chest....what did you end up doing?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
So limited to using subs that offer a high passed line level out....or just run full signal to the speakers. How did that work out for the kick in the chest....what did you end up doing?
at the time, i had a dedicated crossover dividing the frequencies and adding the EQ boost to the 110hz frequency.

but yes, you can leave the mains running full range (more issues with this though)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
at the time, i had a dedicated crossover dividing the frequencies and adding the EQ boost to the 110hz frequency.

but yes, you can leave the mains running full range (more issues with this though)
I just meant if your subwoofer doesn't provide the high pass, then you're using your speakers full range (and only a low pass on the sub). So what do you run now to satisfy you?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I just meant if your subwoofer doesn't provide the high pass, then you're using your speakers full range (and only a low pass on the sub). So what do you run now to satisfy you?
most modern subwoofers have fixed high passed outs (80hz i think)

but my current audio setup just let the main speakers run full range (so i can turn off the subs when i don't need them)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
most modern subwoofers have fixed high passed outs (80hz i think)

but my current audio setup just let the main speakers run full range (so i can turn off the subs when i don't need them)
I was just looking for subs with a high pass filter, particularly with high level inputs, not so much; found a few that could pass a high-passed line level output, though. Not need subs...what language is that? :confused:

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I was just looking for subs with a high pass filter, particularly with high level inputs, not so much; found a few that could pass a high-passed line level output, though. Not need subs...what language is that? :confused:
hehe, i don't know what i'm saying :D

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I currently own Polk PSW505 which is perfect for shaking walls and probably perfect for hip-hop/rap music, but for Rock - NO. It still can sound quite pleasant and punchy but only at lower volumes, increasing volume just makes it booming more.
I'm primarily into rock and other heavy music, and I need to feel that bass drum punch into my chest, clean and tight, no boooom, you know what I mean. Like if you would be in the first row of the rock concert.
My TSx 550T tower speakers with 2 x 8" woofers each actually produce more punchy bass than PSW505.

So, besides many factors that I've already learned from many articles, there's one last thing left.
I've been told that for tight punchy bass the sealed box subwoofer is the way to go.

So I'm looking for anything under $1000 that can give such kind of experience. Any suggestions?
I'm currently looking at these two:
1) SVS SB-1000 $500 on amazon
2) SVS SB-2000 $700 on amazon

Also, will it better to combine two SB-1000 or just leave single SB-2000?
Are they good by the way? :/

Thanks guys.
If you don't properly set up and calibrate your sub it can sound boomy. Some music is mixed to sound boomy, like some rock and hip hop.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis