Good start in the right direction

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
I was browsing around the net and found this very basic but mostly good info. It surprised me coming from a manufactures site especially the part about displays not being calibrated correctly. I hope this kind of thing continues, maybe there is hope for manufactures yet. What do you all think?

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
I have seen that very same article on another website. Good basic article which should be laminated and posted on every TV on display down at Circuit City.

If I wasnt aware that Boise State had a football field painted blue, I would have actually thought that CC had finally achieved their idea of the perfect TV display.

M

Mr.T

Audioholic
Jeff, I have experienced the same thing myself, especially in large electronic stores, that most of the TVs on display look like crap except one or two, why's that?

Those TVs nicely calibrated with a fantastic High Definition picture show, those TVs are the ones the store wants to sell in large quantity why? Because they have a larger markup on them, they make a lot more money selling them than other TVs on display, or maybe the store has a fantastic promotion deal on them directly from the distribuitor or manufacture.

Some electronic stores go to the extend of advertising a particular TV for a ridiculously low price as a bait to attract people to go to the store and that particular super low price TV is always on back order because they ran out of it. Saddly it's correct to say that some vendors play all kinds of disonest tricks in order to sell their merchandise.

Attachments

Last edited:
H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
At the Best Buy where I once worked, we wouldn't have had time to make TV's look bad, or better for that matter. We were too busy trying to sell them, to adjust them. So there was no conspiracy at work. If TV's were ever fooled with it was at the customers request, or them doing it on their own. The exception might have been an occasional auto convergence, but even that was few and far between.

plhart

Audioholic
I agree with you hopjohn. Conspiracy theories are hogwash. The NTSC standards came out around 1954 and gave manufacturers some guidance in the days when color TV was so new that manufacturers just wanted to show off how bright they could make their color TVs. Over the years sets got bigger and brighter but only when when the Sony Trinitron came on the market did anyone start really looking seriously at how different color TVs could look. Since no one but Sony had the Trinitron technology the race among the rest of the manufacturers became whose TV could "pop" the best on the common, brightly lit showroom floor. By that time most CRT sets were set to deliver over 10,000K out-of-the-box.

Joe Kane came along in 1988 and with the release of his A Video Standard laser disc he singlehandedly reminded the world just how good those original 1954 NTSC standards could make a properly calibrated video display look......When the room lighting was also corrected.

Through the 90s Joe consulted with some of the big manufacturers, who at Joe's urging, agreed to have at least some of their high performance models calibrated to the 65K standard out-of-the-box. Since I've observed that when Joe stopped consulting, the calibration to 65K did also, I would suspect that dealers complained to the manufacturer that they couldn't sell these high performance models that looked so dull by comparison. So they returned to the much brighter calibriation temps that were saleable.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
Never meant to say that it was entirely intentional of CC.

Yes, I realize a lot of it is factory settings. It is also half the customers who tweak the TV's unit they are blue in the face (customers, not the TV's).

The instructions should still be posted.

It would make life nicer

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis