Good dvd to use for setup...

K

kamezzle13

Audiophyte
Hey yall, this is my first post, woot. been trolling around reading post for a long time now though...

I was looking for a reccomendation to set up my new home theatre system with. Im moving to a new place so i decided to buy a new system as well. The system is 6.1 but more then likely i'll just set it up for 5.1 since i dont really have means of putting the rear speaker in a correct place (i live in an apt and cant run wires through the walls.

i have a couple test cd's i've downloaded to help set it all up correctly, but would still like reccomendations. what im really looking for is a nice movie that makes surround sound really shine. I set my old system up using the opening gun scene from devils rejects, im getting u571 because i remember the accoustics being amazing on that moving. any reccomendation would be awesome, i have netflix, so the list of dvd's is endless. we mostly watch action/thriller/horror movies.

i know everyone out there has their own favorite movie to show off their home theatre system with - let me know what you guys think!

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
The Incredibles was good, as is Toy Story 2, and you can't beat Saving Private Ryan.

As far as actual DVD's to help get your system calibrated properly, I reccomend Avia, and DVE (Digital Video Essentials).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Ovation's Home Theater Tune Up disc works well, it is a "lite" version of their Avia, Guide to Home Theater disc which is much more expensive. Then there would be Digital Video Essentials, but I prefer Ovation's discs.

You can't use movies to setup your sound.

K

kamezzle13

Audiophyte
thankfully netflix has both the avia and DVE dvd.

Saving private ryan is the type of movie i was looking for but couldnt think of... any other suggestions? i thought i read on here a while back that one of the lion king dvd's has a test for surround sound?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Many discs, usually THX mastered ones have tones, but they are not calibration discs. I'd stick with DVE or Avia as they are much more comprehensive in what they offer as well as instructions on how to use them correctly. You'll also want to pick up an SPL meter while you're waiting for them to show up if you don't already have one.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I have Avia and Digital Video Essentials. I like the Avia disc better. I pull out the DVE disc for when I need to get really technical with my projector. Also, you need to get the Radio Shack Analog sounder meter (The one with the needle) The digital one does some rounding with your results. It's better to see just where the needle is moving.

As far as movies that make good use of the surround channels, here are five.

Star Wars Episode 2: Clone Wars
Das Boot
War of the Worlds
AppleSeed:
The Matrix Films

DTS

DTS

Senior Audioholic
Had a couple of friends over to watch, one of my favorites, MASTER AND COMMANDER. Had it turned up pretty good and when the cannons started and the first major impact with the wood splintering is so cool in 7.1. They just looked at each other:D . You"d swear you got wood all over your floor! Another more favorite is BATMAN BEGINS.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Without Doubt

That was one of the best scenes of all time!"THE FLASH IN THE DISTANCE THEN GET DOWN" and all hell breaking loose felt like debris was flying all over my room!!:D

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard the M&C scene on a number of systems, and it is always fun, but my sub gave it a whole new dimension to it for me. It was as if I had never heard the whole thing before - especially when they have the far away shot and they are exchanging cannon fire; the tactile sound on those shots is amazing.

What's with the :eek: on the Athenas? For the price, those are good speakers man. I had a pair of B1s to test out and I liked them.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
j garcia thanks

Just pale to most other signature's I see :)
PS: CHANGE TO SMILEY FACE!!

Last edited:
C

cadd

Audioholic Intern
I've been looking for Saving Private Ryan in DTS format. Any ideas where to get a good deal on one? deepdiscountdvd.com doesn't seem to carry the DTS version.

Where do you guys normally find deals on DVDs?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is a good chance the DTS version is out of print, as is likely with many of the DTS only (w/dolby stereo) versions that came out at one time. So finding one may not be so easy.

*Edit - the best time to buy from DDD is when they have their big sales (2x a year I think? At least once) and that sale is going on NOW....

Last edited:
C

cadd

Audioholic Intern
Thanks dude. I just purchased 12 DVDs from them today. Total came to around $100. So avg of $8 each. Let me know if you guys have coupons to DDD. Finding DTS version is tough! I've been looking for Saving Private Ryan everywhere and most stores that carry it have it in DD format.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis