GoldenEar Triton Seven Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
The new Triton Seven ($699.99 ea.) debuted at CES 2013 today. It's said to brings it legendary Triton Series performance into a more compact size and even more affordable price range. The new Triton Seven follows in this auspicious tradition. Although it is the first Triton Tower without a built-in powered subwoofer, GoldenEar claims it still achieves superbly deep, subwoofer-like impactful bass performance by combining advanced technology drivers with their highly evolved and sophisticated bass-loading technologies. GoldenEar is so confident about the Triton Seven’s high-resolution sonic performance that they believe it makes them perfect for the highest quality two channel systems as well as the best multi-channel music and home theater systems. Perhaps you can share your experiences with these speakers on our forums and let us know if you agree with their sentiments.

Discuss "GoldenEar Triton Seven Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview" here. Read the article.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Looks like a good option for someone that already has a top-notch sub. Basically the Triton 2 with the 5x9s and the amp removed.

T

techmine

Enthusiast
They are still going for $1400/pair. This is basically the same price point as the PSB Image T6; another popular speakers. Has anybody done the comparison? I listened to both of them on Stereo setup (2 channel) playing music. Tritons had a slight edge but again there are so many variables in a HomeTheater shop. PSB T6 home theater was thunderous but Tritons were not hooked up in a theater setup. I am still undecided which one to buy.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
They are still going for $1400/pair. This is basically the same price point as the PSB Image T6; another popular speakers. Has anybody done the comparison? I listened to both of them on Stereo setup (2 channel) playing music. Tritons had a slight edge but again there are so many variables in a HomeTheater shop. PSB T6 home theater was thunderous but Tritons were not hooked up in a theater setup. I am still undecided which one to buy.
When I bought my Triton 2, I preferred those over the PSB. When I bought my pair, the price was $2500, now the price is $3000 for the pair.

When you consider it like that, $1400 aint bad

T

techmine

Enthusiast
When I bought my Triton 2, I preferred those over the PSB. When I bought my pair, the price was $2500, now the price is $3000 for the pair.

When you consider it like that, $1400 aint bad
:) certainly not. Yes Sevens have been getting rave reviews and I heard them sounding great.
Another trip to the dealer and that should be it. At least my research has come down to only 2 :)

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
As a Golden Ear Triton 7 series owner I can safely, say that these speakers sound great. Surprisingly the bass is still excellent without the subs. Though I still recommend pairing it with one or two :)

T

techmine

Enthusiast
As a Golden Ear Triton 7 series owner I can safely, say that these speakers sound great. Surprisingly the bass is still excellent without the subs. Though I still recommend pairing it with one or two :)
Just seeing your signature - Would you switch them in your media room (if you have to)? Bass is probable because of those large passive radiators. That's one thing I really liked about them; music was amazing to my liking. Having said that T6's bass is also very good.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just seeing your signature - Would you switch them in your media room (if you have to)? Bass is probable because of those large passive radiators. That's one thing I really liked about them; music was amazing to my liking. Having said that T6's bass is also very good.
For my HT room I would still stick with my paradigms, but not by much. The much improved center channel and the Triton 7's are really close and significantly less expensive. I just prefer the Paradigms for HT.

That being said, if I were to redo my HT room, and I was starting from scratch, I probably would have gone with the Goldenear Triton 2. At the time Golden Ear really didn't have a good match in the center channel arena and I really like dipole for the surrounds because they match that room well.

As far as music is concerned however I would Go GE Trition 2, 3 or 7 over the paradigms because they just can't match the trebble.

D

dami

Audiophyte
aon 3 bookshelf speakers.

The aon 3 by Golden ear seems to be perfect for my relatively small
living room. How would they compare to paradigm studio 40 's.
Anyone have a pair or heard them. I think there are only
two places in the state of tennessee that sell them.

J

Jazzenthus

Audiophyte
Guys, I am looking for a pair of GEs to replace my old polk floor speakers. Music (jazz especially) is really important to me, and I have heard that the T7s may sound substantially more refined than the T2s. What would you advise that I go with?

crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Guys, I am looking for a pair of GEs to replace my old polk floor speakers. Music (jazz especially) is really important to me, and I have heard that the T7s may sound substantially more refined than the T2s. What would you advise that I go with?
Only your ears can tell. I personally like di-pole speakers for jazz and acoustic music, but thats just a preference of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
T7 more refined than the T2? Pretty fishy if you ask me?

What exactly does "more refined" sound like? Since they have the same HVFR Tweet, I'll bet they sound the same until you get to the bass. Then, the T2 has lower extension due to the built in subs.

My guess is that if someone thinks the T7 sounds better or "more refined", then they were probably hearing the T2 at a limited audition in a showroom and the bass knobs were turned up too high on the T2.

What do you want to do with a set of the GEs? If only 2 channel music, then get the T2. If movies, then get the T7 and a beefy sub, or splurge with the T2 and a beefy sub.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I have heard that the T7s may sound substantially more refined than the T2s.
Where did you hear this?
That's exactly what I thought too.

What do you want to do with a set of the GEs? If only 2 channel music, then get the T2. If movies, then get the T7 and a beefy sub, or splurge with the T2 and a beefy sub.
Jazzenthus, this is the perfect response to your query. The choices are different based on budget and intended use, 2.0 or 2.1.

What is your budget and other than Jazz listening, do you foresee other use of this setup.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
The aon 3 by Golden ear seems to be perfect for my relatively small
living room. How would they compare to paradigm studio 40 's.
Anyone have a pair or heard them. I think there are only
two places in the state of tennessee that sell them.

Does Paradigm still make the 40s? I thought it was the 10 /20 /60 /100 series, though I could be wrong.

I think you get more speaker for the money out of the GE and I really like the clean, clear highs. While the Aon and surprisingly good bass for a speaker its size, I would say this is one area where it would lose out to the 20's.

J

Jazzenthus

Audiophyte

What exactly does "more refined" sound like? Since they have the same HVFR Tweet, I'll bet they sound the same until you get to the bass. Then, the T2 has lower extension due to the built in subs.

My guess is that if someone thinks the T7 sounds better or "more refined", then they were probably hearing the T2 at a limited audition in a showroom and the bass knobs were turned up too high on the T2.

Thanks for your feedback. I found this after I posted the question (third paragraph):

GoldenEar Technology Triton Seven Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for your feedback. I found this after I posted the question (third paragraph):

GoldenEar Technology Triton Seven Loudspeaker | The Absolute Sound
Just like all subjective reviews, take it with a large grain of salt. Without knowing how the T2 was set up, it's pretty useless info.

Still sounds fishy to me!

Find a dealer and hear them for yourself, side by side, then you be the judge. Or better yet, a dealer that will let you take home both pairs and return the one that you don't want.

J

Jazzenthus

Audiophyte
Where did you hear this?
That's exactly what I thought too.

Jazzenthus, this is the perfect response to your query. The choices are different based on budget and intended use, 2.0 or 2.1.

What is your budget and other than Jazz listening, do you foresee other use of this setup.
I do have the budget for a set of T2s. I am basically looking for front speakers for my 5.1 set up. I do have a pair of in-ceiling surrounds, an old Polk center, and an old $400 or so sub. I will probably get the GE SCX and either the T2s or the T7s (and maybe a sub if I get T7s). I will probably have to get a better receiver, but I am thinking I'll wait for HDMI 2.0 in a higher-end receiver. I don't want to give up bass completely, but I will really kill for superior performance with music.

J

Jazzenthus

Audiophyte
Just like all subjective reviews, take it with a large grain of salt. Without knowing how the T2 was set up, it's pretty useless info.

Still sounds fishy to me!

Find a dealer and hear them for yourself, side by side, then you be the judge. Or better yet, a dealer that will let you take home both pairs and return the one that you don't want.
I didn't realize dealers would actually do that.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I didn't realize dealers would actually do that.
They'll most likely need a deposit to cover the costlier pair if not both. It is a guaranteed sale and so they have incentive to make it happen.

I do have the budget for a set of T2s...
I will probably get the GE SCX and either the T2s or the T7s (and maybe a sub if I get T7s)...
I don't want to give up bass completely, but I will really kill for superior performance with music.
IMO, your best bet is to bring them home. The cost difference is such that with the T7 you'll always wonder if you're missing anything, with the T2 you'll always wonder if you got would have been satisfied with the T7.

If movies, especially action/thriller/SciFi movies will be watched on this system, a sub will be required to do justice to the deep bass content.

J

Jazzenthus

Audiophyte
They'll most likely need a deposit to cover the costlier pair if not both. It is a guaranteed sale and so they have incentive to make it happen.

IMO, your best bet is to bring them home. The cost difference is such that with the T7 you'll always wonder if you're missing anything, with the T2 you'll always wonder if you got would have been satisfied with the T7.

If movies, especially action/thriller/SciFi movies will be watched on this system, a sub will be required to do justice to the deep bass content.
If you take both home, don't you have to burn them in for 100+ hours each in order to really be able to tell?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis